Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mrmopar
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 7 oz / 208 ml

• “Brews a golden brown. Definitely a strong flavor, citrus and smoke in perfect proportion. Very high quality leaves. Some good bitterness, a little huigan, but I keep tasting a pronounced sourness...” Read full tasting note
    RichD 113 tasting notes
  • “This is a tea to savor and enjoy! Sampling before I make the final decision to purchase a full cake (punch line first – no question about the purchase now). The dry leaf is beautiful – light...” Read full tasting note
    Dignitea 300 tasting notes
  • “Seeing how the puerh of the day post has been going I decided to break this one out. It will actually be my second tasting of this cake. It seems loosely compressed so I was able to break out 10...” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 214 tasting notes

From Chen Sheng tea factory. ( teaurchin shop)

Chen Sheng made Lao Ban Zhang famous by monopolizing the supply and building a large factory in the village. 陈升一号 is the signature blend from the Chen Sheng factory and contains enough Bulang and Banzhang material to deliver a mouthful of strong flavors and a powerful chaqi. Our cakes are from the first production run of 2010, and already show promising signs of aging.
The tigers printed around the edges of the cake indicate it was made in 2010, the year of the tiger. We only stock the 2010, as Chen Sheng stopped putting Banzhang material in their Yi Hao cakes from 2011 onwards.

About Chen Sheng tea factory. ( teaurchin shop) View company

Brews a golden brown. Definitely a strong flavor, citrus and smoke in perfect proportion. Very high quality leaves. Some good bitterness, a little huigan, but I keep tasting a pronounced sourness which to me is a flaw. It is a pretty good tea, but I personally didn’t like it as much as the other reviewers.

AllanK

I have seen that one online, looks interesting. I have yet to put in an order with them.

Rich

Tea Urchin is a top notch outfit. This tea is definitely high quality, as are most of their house teas.

mrmopar

Agreed.

This is a tea to savor and enjoy! Sampling before I make the final decision to purchase a full cake (punch line first – no question about the purchase now). The dry leaf is beautiful – light compression means lots of intact full leaves. Color is what I would describe as “mousy” brown.
While the aroma is enticing (sweet with a fruity overtone), of course sipping the tea soup provides the greatest pleasure – sweet, soft and creamy in the mouth with a pleasant swallow. There is a very gentle kuwei [pleasant bitterness] which I thoroughly enjoyed. Roughly 12 steeps and the tea continued to give – smooth until the very end. Cannot wait to get a whole cake to savor and enjoy over the years to come.

Boiling 6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Seeing how the puerh of the day post has been going I decided to break this one out. It will actually be my second tasting of this cake. It seems loosely compressed so I was able to break out 10 grams very easily. I am using the Gaiwan to keep it pure in essence. I did a very short rinse, actually pouring the water out once it covered the leaves. I let it set about 20 mins or so to open up. it has a nice green pea aroma to it when I opened the lid up. I did 3 short 5 second steeps and put it all in one cup. this is not a subtle sheng but a tongue tingling honey sweet shot of mouth-feeling tea that will excite your tongue. It trails off with a slight enjoyable bitterness and this is one you can feel after you drink it. This is a very lively tea that I probably shouldn’t drink this late at night. This really a fine tea. Camphor ,citrus and some slight pine on the taste buds.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Yang-chu

I’ve been wanting to try some of ole Chen out.