Sticky Rice Pu-erh Tuocha

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Grass, Rice, Wet Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Chicago Tea Garden

These tuocha smell exactly like sticky rice. They taste like it too. This tea is a wonderful alternative to Japanese Genmaicha (Roasted Rice Green Tea). These tuocha are made from green pu-erh and were manufactured in 2004. The distinct sticky rice smell and taste comes from a Chinese herb known as Nuomixiang. The tea is stored for several months with the herb before being processed into tuocha form.

Pu-erh tuocha is sold by weight so for 50g you will receive around 12 pieces, 100g around 24 pieces, and 200g around 48 pieces.

About Chicago Tea Garden View company

Chicago Tea Garden is an online tea shop committed to providing extraordinary teas and tea education to tea lovers and those new to the leaf. Chicago Tea Garden's co-owner Tony Gebely also runs the World of Tea Blog [http://www.worldoftea.org] and Tweets at @WorldofTea.

This is at the top of the chart for puerh, for me. Drinking it, I feel as if I’m descending into my own private cavern of meditative bliss. I wish I had more of this tea! If anyone would like to trade, please pm me!

This is my first “sheng” or “green” pu erh and it’s very nice. Light and minty (due to extra herb) this tea tastes exactly like sticky rice. The color and mouthfeel reminds me of green tea but the taste is completely different, there is a lot more bite. First steep was very light green and the tuocha did not fall completely apart, second steep however the entire thing melted and the tea color is a light amber. The second steeping is much richer with a hint of basil almost.

This tea is like a milk oolong, but instead of milk, put in rice. And then eliminate any aftertaste whatsoever.

First off, I haven’t been on steepster at all in months! Bad me :

Flavors: Earth, Grass, Rice, Wet Earth

My first pu-erh. Yes, it tastes and smells exactly like sticky rice, at least on the first infusion. A fun novelty experience, but I wouldn’t buy more (only got a sample).

1st infusion (45 sec): Tastes just like sweet sticky rice, with a touch of greenness at the end.

2nd infusion (45 sec): Oops, slightly bitter — the pu-erh cake had a chance to loosen up more, and is infusing faster. The rice flavor is still there, but it’s much more grassy and earthy now.

3rd infusion (40 sec): Too earthy for me. Tastes like the smell of fresh, clean dirt. Guess pu-erh isn’t my thing.

A truly magical tea and my new favorite. For those of us who love rice as a culinary ingredient in its own right, rather than just a bland starch, this evokes some of the best heritage rice varieties and hand-crafted mochi. I don’t know how, but the puerh doesn’t overpower this at all, but blends seamlessly to make a soothing and evocative cup of tea.

Tried doing a big gongfu session with this tea tonight but the result wasn’t satisfying. The tea was very tightly packed into a mini-tuocha and my attempts to break it up meant the leaf was super broken and dusty. The first steep was quite nice, but the next few steeps were unpleasant and bitter. The leaf was also quite small, so a lot of it made it through the filter in my gaiwan.

Indigobloom

That happened to me once! Tao mentioned when I asked, that even though it isn’t common, sometimes you need to make a subsequent infusion shorter than the previous ones. It seemed to have worked, but mine was a different Puerh

boychik

i usually rinse and put it on pause. in a few minutes the mini tuo becomes bigger and looser. and 2,3rd steeps are shorter. leaves are already expanded

Christina

I have one more mini-tuocha of this left. I may gongfu that one soon with this in mind (and even if it’s still bitter, hey – easy sipdown!)