Sticky Rice Pu-erh Tuocha

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Grass, Rice, Wet Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I've been popping Yin Chiao like mad trying to get rid of this cold but it seems to have frozen it in the initial stage. So I've had an on-and-off fever for days now, sore throat, fatigue, etc, yet...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 805 tasting notes
  • “I have so much of this tea, I don't even know what to do with it. Of course, I ended up not liking it as much as I thought I would - but hey, it was an investment! haha I'll swap it away and...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes
  • “I picked this as a free sample from Chicago Tea Garden, mostly because it just seemed too different not to try. I mean, come on – sticky rice flavored tea! How can I not try it? This is actually...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to The Purrfect Cup for this one! I had this once before but am so glad I was able to try it again! Sticky Rice, Sticky Rice...yeah, yeah, YEAH!!!!! Totally...see my other notes on this...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes

From Chicago Tea Garden

These tuocha smell exactly like sticky rice. They taste like it too. This tea is a wonderful alternative to Japanese Genmaicha (Roasted Rice Green Tea). These tuocha are made from green pu-erh and were manufactured in 2004. The distinct sticky rice smell and taste comes from a Chinese herb known as Nuomixiang. The tea is stored for several months with the herb before being processed into tuocha form.

Pu-erh tuocha is sold by weight so for 50g you will receive around 12 pieces, 100g around 24 pieces, and 200g around 48 pieces.

About Chicago Tea Garden View company

Chicago Tea Garden is an online tea shop committed to providing extraordinary teas and tea education to tea lovers and those new to the leaf. Chicago Tea Garden's co-owner Tony Gebely also runs the World of Tea Blog [http://www.worldoftea.org] and Tweets at @WorldofTea.

This is at the top of the chart for puerh, for me. Drinking it, I feel as if I’m descending into my own private cavern of meditative bliss. I wish I had more of this tea! If anyone would like to trade, please pm me!

This is my first “sheng” or “green” pu erh and it’s very nice. Light and minty (due to extra herb) this tea tastes exactly like sticky rice. The color and mouthfeel reminds me of green tea but the taste is completely different, there is a lot more bite. First steep was very light green and the tuocha did not fall completely apart, second steep however the entire thing melted and the tea color is a light amber. The second steeping is much richer with a hint of basil almost.

This tea is like a milk oolong, but instead of milk, put in rice. And then eliminate any aftertaste whatsoever.

First off, I haven’t been on steepster at all in months! Bad me :<

But today I woke up and decided it was a sticky rice puerh day so I’m baaaaaack :P

Pulled out my last piece of sticky rice pu-erh that was so generously gifted me and stuck it in my new-to-me tea for one set :) http://i58.tinypic.com/34odili.jpg

Preheated both pot and cup (via sitting under the pot) and steeped for 30 seconds. Such a delightful tea…I forgot how light it comes out! Wonderfully earthy and grassy with that sticky rice finish :)

Flavors: Earth, Grass, Rice, Wet Earth

My first pu-erh. Yes, it tastes and smells exactly like sticky rice, at least on the first infusion. A fun novelty experience, but I wouldn’t buy more (only got a sample).

1st infusion (45 sec): Tastes just like sweet sticky rice, with a touch of greenness at the end.

2nd infusion (45 sec): Oops, slightly bitter — the pu-erh cake had a chance to loosen up more, and is infusing faster. The rice flavor is still there, but it’s much more grassy and earthy now.

3rd infusion (40 sec): Too earthy for me. Tastes like the smell of fresh, clean dirt. Guess pu-erh isn’t my thing.

A truly magical tea and my new favorite. For those of us who love rice as a culinary ingredient in its own right, rather than just a bland starch, this evokes some of the best heritage rice varieties and hand-crafted mochi. I don’t know how, but the puerh doesn’t overpower this at all, but blends seamlessly to make a soothing and evocative cup of tea.