Chrysanthemum Pu-erh Tuocha

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Chicago Tea Garden

As these cooked mini-tuocha break apart while steeping, you’ll find a chrysamthemum flower inside. The steaming leaves impart an earthy and slightly fruity scent. The taste of the liquor is slightly nutty and smoky with a subtle sweetness from the chrysanthemum flower on the finish. 50grams = approximately 12-13 mini pu-erh tuocha.

About Chicago Tea Garden View company

Chicago Tea Garden is an online tea shop committed to providing extraordinary teas and tea education to tea lovers and those new to the leaf. Chicago Tea Garden's co-owner Tony Gebely also runs the World of Tea Blog [http://www.worldoftea.org] and Tweets at @WorldofTea.

Back from my road trip and ready to dig into some things I have waiting to try…I’ll start with this, which was a free sample with my order. I like tuochas because they remind me of little tea cups themselves, and there’s something charmingly self-referential about that. I’m used to going straight to a long steeping on pu-erhs, but I decided this time to follow the steeping guidelines and start with 30 seconds.

I’m glad I did. Still plenty of flavor there, though I can’t say as I detect a noticeable trace of the chrysanthemum. There’s the characteristic earthiness, and plenty of natural sweetness. I’m looking forward to comparing this with the camel’s breath which came in the same order!

Jason: “Butt tea”

Brewed in Yixing Pot

TeaEqualsBliss

Jason loves Butt Tea, doesn’t he!? I think that’s two days in a row, isn’t it!? LOL

Ricky

Haha, I’m the one who keeps brewing this tea. Everyone at the office (except Jason) loves pu-erh.

Has a slightly fishy smell, but not as fishy as other pu-erhs I’ve tried. The smell is subtle, warm, somewhat savory. But not nearly as intimidating as the scent of most pu-erhs.

The taste is very smooth, as is expected of a good pu-erh. The first taste that I perceive is a lighter taste, semi-sweet. It reminds me of the bamboo pu-erh from Norbu teas. After this comes a gentle earthiness that adds depth to the tea’s initially light taste.

The aftertaste is very savory and deep; you notice it as immediately after swallowing towards the back of your mouth and throat. There might be an aftertaste of chrysanthemum – but I only have the vaguest idea of how a chrysanthemum would taste.

Overall it is very rounded and enjoyable. Nothing overwhelming or out of place here. Just a good pu-erh – the chrysanthemum doesn’t seem to strongly influence it.

trying this tea for the first time. I’m fairly new to Pu-erh so i wasn’t sure how long to brew it. Ended up washing the leaves, then brewing it for as long as it took to stop by 14 month old from eating food out of the cat’s dish. resulting brew was slightly smokey, and has the leathery taste I’ve been encountering with the few Pu-erh’s I’ve had. similar to tobacco, or a chinese herb shop. a very subtle hint of sweetness. Didn’t notice the chrysanthemum at all.