Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Auggy

• “I've never had a New Zealander before! I didn't even know they had a tea production to start with, and even less that it was a tea production with export. Interesting. I got this one from...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1268 tasting notes
  • “So apparently New Zealand can make some tea. Who knew? But yeah, this is some seriously tasty stuff. Normally I’m not one for using boiling water on greener oolongs. However, the directions...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Wow. Just, wow. I tasted the dark version first, then this Pure one and it completely knocked me out. Which isn't an easy task for an oolong! The flavour is incredibly rich and full, fuller than...” Read full tasting note
    amber 221 tasting notes
  • “Steep Information: Amount: ~6g Water: 150ml boiling filtered water Tool: Adagio IngenuiTEA 16 oz Steep Time: a little over 1:30 minutes Served: Hot Tasting Notes: Dry Leaf Smell:...” Read full tasting note
    amazonv 702 tasting notes

From Chicago Tea Garden

Sweet, fresh-tasting leaves are unroasted, bringing out the pure, natural flavor of the tea.

Zealong is grown naturally without chemical sprays, fertilizers, additives and other contaminants. Additionally, a strict quality assurance system has been implemented that meets the ISO22000 standard. It is tended and picked by hand and processed to the world’s most stringent food safety standards.

About Chicago Tea Garden View company

Chicago Tea Garden is an online tea shop committed to providing extraordinary teas and tea education to tea lovers and those new to the leaf. Chicago Tea Garden's co-owner Tony Gebely also runs the World of Tea Blog [http://www.worldoftea.org] and Tweets at @WorldofTea.

Smell: Dry leaves smell kind of sweet. Brewed it smells really “clean” and has a bit of sweetness to it.

Flavor: Very clean, smooth, a little earthy. No strong flavors, its soft and fluffy.

Reminds me of: Spring

Aftertaste: Soft vegetal flavor lingers for a bit.

Comforting or Refreshing: Both? It’s refreshing, in that it reminds me of Spring and is kind of “cheerful”. Comforting because its very smooth and the earthiness relaxes me.

Steeps: 1

What a great tea!! Out of the package the tea has a lovely light floral scent. Not very strong, but immensely pleasing. I steeped the tea according to the directions, using the correct amount of tea, and freshly boiled (but not boiling) water. This resulted in a beautiful bright yellow/green liquid that had a light sweet smell. The taste is best described as light, yet full of flavor at the same time. The tea has a rich green vegetal body, that felt buttery on the tongue. Floral and sweet notes come through as well. Even though the leaves are unroasted, there was a slight oolong toasty/tanginess at the end. It is a delicious cup of tea that helped relax me on a hectic day. I did a second steep of the leaves, and the flavor was less delicate, the gentle floral notes were gone. It was stronger this time, with a toastier flavor, definitely more ‘oolong-like’. Can’t wait to try the other Zealong varieties!

I tasted the “Aromatic”-version (roasted) of the Zealong-Oolong: The dry leaves have a light, bready smell with a bit of sweetness in it. The taste of the Zealong-tea is flourish with light bready notes in it, like fresh baken bread. After the third steep the tea begins to taste slightly sweet. The colour of the infusion is a clear, bright gold-yellow. I really like this tea.

Unfortunately, I don’t like grassy teas…not sure why I decided to sample this. Not my thing.

1st infusion: Sweet, vegetal, extremely buttery (though not smooth like CTG’s amazing TGY), and a little reminiscent of…soup? There’s an extremely clean, bright, sort of filtered-water quality to it that seems to go up your nose like pool water.

2nd infusion: A roasty, nutty flavor came out in this steep.

I watched the videos about this tea on the Zealong site https://www.zealoong.com while I was waiting for the tea to arrive, so my expectations were raised from the start. It didn’t let itself down. The delivery was prompt and professional, beautifully packed, and the tea itself was divine. I really loved the aesthetics of watching dry little green balls expand into whole green leaves. I steeped in a Libre tea flask so was able to see them unfold like a child’s magic monkey toy. The flavour was clean and pure, as promised. It wasn’t cheap, so I’m “saving it for best.”

Does this taste vaguely like soap to anyone else?

Regardless the taste is complex. Smooth, a little sweet, a little typical oolong. Personally I don’t care for an overly ‘buttery’ oolong and this one fits the bill perfectly.

The dry leaf has an amazingly flora aroma to it but with a slight bite to it. It’s an enjoyable tea to watch, and after only one infusion the leaves begin to expand nicely and it photographs well. It’s especially nice to see the red-edged leaves around the where they have been bruised in the processing.

The brew itself is floral and sweet as a light oolong should be. I like to bring this tea to work or school, put a small pinch of leaves in a cup, and infuse with hot water from a thermos. This tea doesn’t go bitter easily and is a good one to brew on the go.

I would recommend this tea to anyone who loves light oolongs and wants to try something unique. Being from New Zealand, this tea is quite the black sheep… but a tasty one at that.

@chanteashop

This is a lovely change from weeks of drinking shin-cha green tea. Clear and flavorful. A bit light, but I also missed the in-package instructions to steep at boiling instead of 195. Multiple resteeps, consistent flavor every time. I love how the tea expands into WHOLE leaves! Overall, very good presentation, lovely flavor.

This tea is full of subtle flavors. I could taste a faint background taste that reminded me of cinnamon flavored cactus candy. Not exactly like it, but similar in an undefinable way. This tea changes flavors as you hold it in your mouth. The flavor is primarily the flavor of a good jade oolong, sweet without being really sweet, floral without tasting as though is were made of flowers. Incredibly delicious in a delicate way that has to be drunk slowly to be appreciated.

The color is pale gold and shimmery.

In the morning 5 grams with a quick brew is perfect. This is a light tea with a subtle grassy nose and bright color. Light on the palate and a perfect way to ease into the day