Golden Bi Luo

Chocolate, Malt, Plums, Raisins, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “This has become my go-to black tea when I feel like I need something strong to start the day, but I can't decide which tea I want to drink. It has that wonderful toastiness -- almost chewiness --...” Read full tasting note
    Infusin_Susan 102 tasting notes
  • “I was very close to having CTG’s Keemun again this morning (it's that good) but I decided that I really should try my other teas, so I grabbed this one. The dry leaf smells malty-bakey-sweet and...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Wow, my first thought was this is so smooth and full of flavor. Slightly sweet, a bit chewy, and kind of meaty. Not that it tastes like meat but it has a quality I imagine meaty it to be. I know...” Read full tasting note
    RachanaC 432 tasting notes
  • “I received this very nice sample from Chicago Tea Garden last night but since it was late by the time I checked the mail, I waited until today to give it a try. The dry tea consists of brown and...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes

From Chicago Tea Garden

David Lee Hoffman has been traveling China for over 20 years. His work has led to vast improvements in the quality of tea available to the West. David is especially proud of this tea. Golden Bi Luo is a high-grade black tea made in Yunnan Province in the style of Jiangsu Province’s Green Bi Luo Chun. The name means “snail spring” — spring because this tea is harvested in the spring; snail because the two leaves and down-covered tips are carefully rolled into tight spirals that slowly unfurl to release more flavor during steeping. The spirals are formed using three different hand movements in a heated wok. This tea produces a golden, creamy-tasting liquor with sweet notes of vanilla.

This tea is a master at producing multiple infusions, you can easily get 8 infusions from one serving of this tea. If you buy 50grams and steep 3grams each time, steeping the 3gram serving 8 times will bring the price of this tea to $0.11 a cup.

Golden Bi Luo is a great re-introduction to great, loose black tea. Whether you are looking for an alternative to coffee, or are just getting started with loose leaf and are ready to ditch your tea bags, Golden Bi Luo is a wonderful choice for an everyday tea. This tea is also known as Hong Bi Luo.

About Chicago Tea Garden View company

Chicago Tea Garden is an online tea shop committed to providing extraordinary teas and tea education to tea lovers and those new to the leaf. Chicago Tea Garden's co-owner Tony Gebely also runs the World of Tea Blog [http://www.worldoftea.org] and Tweets at @WorldofTea.

A new tea vendor selling a time-honored tea. My humans had the honor of trying it out awhile ago. http://bit.ly/a6wgcR

Lori

I tried this one as well. But it seemed VERY MILD

Fresh, rich, and creamy. Quite yummy and a standout amongst Yunnan golds.

This is the first of my sample order from Chicago Tea Garden. How could I resist a black tea that looks yellow and is curled up like snails? It’s a dark, rainy morning, I’ve got the whole day at home ahead of me, and my IngenuiTEA is longing to be broken in. Let’s try a nice malty tea that I can keep infusing all day long.

Thanks to SoccerMom for pointing out the recommended brewing time of 1 minute with boiling water.

The first infusion is a nice orange color. There are light floral notes in the nose; this tea might be a waste if you have a cold. The nose also carries a subtle vanilla, giving the tea a rich and creamy character, balanced by a delicate taste—not at all bitter or astringent. The mouthfeel itself is quite balanced: substantial, but not heavy. Overall, the perfect complement to my wet, dark day.

For the second infusion, I extended the time to 2 minutes. Now the floral wisps have disappeared as a full, malty character emerges. This is a complex and adventuresome tea, and I’m glad that I took the day to explore it. Next time, I’d extend the first infusion to at least 1:30.

The third infusion at another 2 minutes is less spectacular, but no less satisfactory. Everything has quieted down a bit, but the floral malt still lingers.

A good tea, and a good day.

Lightly earthy but mellow. Touch of dry but so mellow you don’t notice it. It has a brightness to it that is unexpected. Call me crazy but there is a bit of fresh snapped green bean taste at the very beginning and end.

The first time I brewed this tea, I was incredibly careful with temperatures, preheating, etc, and it was unlike any tea I’ve ever had. The next time, I didn’t bother as much, and it still came out good, but lacking a lot of the complexity. So this review is for the first time. You’ll want to set aside a good chunk of time to enjoy this tea properly. I think ‘scrumptious’ gets at the whole experience the best.

1st infusion (75 sec): Tasty, creamy, vanilla and malt notes, but not overpoweringly malty like many black teas can be. It reminds me a bit of sweet potato baked with marshmellows, but more savory. Incredibly smooth mouthfeel, even though it’s paradoxically a bit astringent.

2nd infusion (2 min): Slightly sweeter than the 1st, otherwise the same.

3rd infusion (3 min): Oops, may have oversteeped. This infusion is too astringent. It’s starting to get weak.

4th infusion (lost track; 3-5 min): Distinctly reminds me of gyokuro for some reason, but with mellow and savory substituted for grassy.

12 oz water
4 g tea

dark amber steep in color. The aroma is sweet. The flavor does have a bit of malt, but overall i’m not getting a real strong overwhelming flavor out of the tea. Not bitter.

Prepared with the recommended short steeps—1 min., 1 min., 1.5 min., 1.5 min., etc. Very fresh, creamy, definite sweet, vanilla notes. About the 3rd steep, a toasty nuttiness emerges. Tea remains smooth throughout—a very good anytime cup.

A little disapointing. Flavor was mild. Slightly sweet. Didn’t detect the vanilla notes. As the tea cooled, more flavor became apparent, but still very mild.

Really nice, spicy black tea, beautiful in dry leaf form.

This tea was extraordinary. I’ve not been able to find a Golden Bi Luo that compares in taste, freshness, and price.