Tie Guan Yin Competition Grade "Monkey Picked" Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Chicago Tea Garden

This tea was sourced by David Lee Hoffman from one of the organizers of the Chinese National Tea Competition. This tea is named after the bodhisattva Avalokitesvara (Guan Yin in Mandarin), also known as the “Iron Goddess of Mercy.” Tie Guan Yin was first used only as a tribute tea to the Royal Court. The tea leaves from Anxi County in China are known for their overwhelming floral fragrance. They are lightly oxidized and rolled into very tight balls using a technique known as “baorou.” They slowly open up while steeping, releasing their flavor and floral aroma, eventually revealing whole leaves. Through his relationship with the organizers of China’s National Tea Competition, David Lee Hoffman has gained unprecedented access to some of the most special Tie Guan Yin Oolongs being made today — this is one of them.

This tea has several spellings, most popularly Tie Guan Yin and Ti Kuan yin.

About Chicago Tea Garden View company

Chicago Tea Garden is an online tea shop committed to providing extraordinary teas and tea education to tea lovers and those new to the leaf. Chicago Tea Garden's co-owner Tony Gebely also runs the World of Tea Blog [http://www.worldoftea.org] and Tweets at @WorldofTea.

My humans felt so honored to be included in group that got to preview this tea. (No, they aren’t “buds” with the owner, just loud-mouthed tweeters who doubted that a tea could be steeped in 30 seconds). http://bit.ly/dCjcEC

This is a really interesting tea. I’ve had a lot of tie guan yins, and this is by far the greenest one I’ve had. It was… just very green. I thought I didn’t like it, but then I kept going back to it over and over again, so I guess I did like it! Probably not worth the money, but I’m glad I tried it.