Original Chai - Loose Leaf

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Chip
Boiling 8 min or more

• “when was the last time you had a cup of 'wow'? i mean on here, although we're polite about it, we're all fortunate enough to be afforded the luxury to be tea snobs (or connoisseurs if you're more...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 379 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: A very delicious chai. Good and spicy! Makes an excellent latte too. Warm, spicy ... I love the anise in this one. The touch of vanilla gives is a pleasing, creamy undertone so...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4641 tasting notes
  • “Ooh, this one isn't for me. It's strongly spicy but there's no sweetness to it at all so it just ends up tasting harsh. I added sugar to this cup and it's better this way but since I don't like it...” Read full tasting note
    bluebelle 484 tasting notes

From Chico Chai

Fair Trade Organic black tea and exotic organic spices are hand-blended to create this spicy, aromatic tea. Blended in small batches, by hand in Chico, California. Only Organic Ingredients and Fair Trade Organic teas are used to make Chico Chai.

About Chico Chai View company

when was the last time you had a cup of ‘wow’? i mean on here, although we’re polite about it, we’re all fortunate enough to be afforded the luxury to be tea snobs (or connoisseurs if you’re more comfortable=0). so many companies send out ‘wow’ samples…. how do you measure after such skilled generosity?

for me this is WOW.

LiberTEAS drew my attention to the fact that they offered a sampler. that worked well for me seeing as i had just gone through my ‘rishi chocolate chai’ fiasco and i was not prepared to invest a ton without trying some first.

chico’s a california company, free trade, fresh made, highly spoken of by LiberTEAS. i love chai… never had it fresh =0)…. i was intrigued. the brilliant LiberTEAS even included a link for me!

the sampler included an original mix, a chocolate, a mate and a rooiboos. aw! rooiboos…. i wrote a letter. the tea blender, sarah replied promptly: ‘no problem. we can offer you another sample as your fourth.’ perfect!

as asked i made a note during checkout to remind sarah of our conversation and hit the ‘pay now’ button. …. …….. ………. ‘confirm payment’ WHAT???? THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS FOR SHIPPING FROM CALIFORNIA TO BC? um, no. i politely said so.

again i got a very polite and prompt reply from a now concerned sarah. ‘WHAT? it is NOT supposed to be doing that!!!!’ of course it all wound up fine after a bit of fiddling, and i got my rooiboos free sampler with a surprise strainer included which perfectly fits the top of my mug! sarah! thank you so much!

customer service 5/5. on to the chai.

fresh makes all the difference apparently. it makes very good sense of course, but never having had it how could i know? lots of heat from the spice, a well rounded, comforting punch.

i used 7grams for 1.5 cups of water. water brought to a boil and then dropped to a simmer at which point i added the chai and let it roil for a conservative 10 minutes (they recommend anywhere from 5-30 minutes lol). i thought i’d start conservatively!

OMG…. LiberTEAS… i owe you. this is spice cake, this is spicy enough to give me an endophin rush but not so spicy that i have to sacrifice dignity by fanning my tongue. decadent, fresh, no hint of off-the-shelf spices. beautifully balanced. with cream added it reminds me of the spiced cream i make in the summertime with a lot more punch….

i absolutely see why sarah and chico are award winners. if i had more and (arguably) if i were a nicer guy i’d share to prove my point, but i don’t ….. and i’m rather in love so in this instance i’m not feeling abundantly nice! lol.

by FAR the best chai i’ve ever had. i will definitely order more… just have to figure out which one!

Boiling 8 min or more
MissB

Keep it to yourself! :) I’ll definitely order some my next tea-buying go around.

JustJames

it is UNREAL! i cannot recommend it enough. wow! it’s a rare thing when i am not prepared to share a sample, lol.

Dexter

Yep – added to the shopping list – not allowed to buy tea at this time, but am really excited by this. Will order some once my stash is under control. The great chai quest is still on. Thanks James for pointing this out!!!

JustJames

i’m on that same diet dexter. i have a couple of swaps to do then i’m done for the semester or i’ll have problems with grocery money!! lol. hard to study if you’re worried about food. lol.

caile

Nice to find a ‘wow’ tea! Sounds good!

Backlog:

A very delicious chai. Good and spicy! Makes an excellent latte too.

Warm, spicy … I love the anise in this one. The touch of vanilla gives is a pleasing, creamy undertone so you don’t need to add dairy to it … it has a nice creaminess to it without the dairy (although like I said, the dairy does make a delectable latte)

A rich malty assam serves as the base for this, and it’s a really rewarding Chai.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/10/02/original-loose-leaf-chai-chico-chai/

JustJames

thanks to you i did wind up ordering their sampler…. very good customer service, the blender made a special order up for me WITHOUT rooiboos. EXCELLENT customer service. thank you for the recommendation.

LiberTEAS

That’s wonderful. Yes, I enjoyed my interaction with this company. They’re a really good company … and their chai rocks.

JustJames

looking forward to it, thanks again!!

Ooh, this one isn’t for me. It’s strongly spicy but there’s no sweetness to it at all so it just ends up tasting harsh. I added sugar to this cup and it’s better this way but since I don’t like it plain I’m unlikely to reach for it again. To the swap pile!