Russian Caravan

Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Sipper

• “It turns out that the other intern who is working with me this semester and I have a lot in common, including being total tea nuts. Yayyyyy! Now we have stuff to talk about during those...” Read full tasting note
    teaqueen 319 tasting notes
  • “This tea has a definite smokey/woody flavour to it that hits right as you taste it like Volstagg on a powdered pastry. I drink it with milk and sugar. Good for the days you feel like you need...” Read full tasting note
    loki_of_asgard 11 tasting notes
  • “Keep away from other teas, or else they will pick up the smoky smell. I prefer with some milk, on a cold or rainy day. This is not a everyday tea for me to drink.” Read full tasting note
    hannabling 81 tasting notes
  • “Smells interesting. Like a swamp murder. Tastes like dragon piss. I tried it black, with sugar, with milk, with milk and sugar, with Jameson, and came to the conclusion that I am not a Lapsang...” Read full tasting note
    okapi 5 tasting notes

From Choice Organic Teas

Explore the exotic with this distinctively smoky tea — a taste coveted by a 19th century Russian czar. His camel caravans traveled perilous routes from China, where nightly campfires added to the tea’s heady aroma. Our black tea blend marries rich Yunnan with smoked Lapsang Souchong to recreate this rousing delicacy.

About Choice Organic Teas View company

It turns out that the other intern who is working with me this semester and I have a lot in common, including being total tea nuts. Yayyyyy! Now we have stuff to talk about during those excruciating periods of down time in the mornings. Plus, it’s tea. Which I love.

Anyway, this tea has really grown on me. I’m really digging the smoky black teas lately. Mate, lapsang souchong, black-and-mate blends… I love ’em.

Something about the winter makes me crave them. Maybe it’s because they remind me of fireplaces. The smokiness makes me think of warmth, which is what I want in the winter. It makes sense, right?

I like the taste this tea leaves in my mouth. It’s like an old-man tea, but whatever. I’m old in my soul.

This tea has a definite smokey/woody flavour to it that hits right as you taste it like Volstagg on a powdered pastry. I drink it with milk and sugar. Good for the days you feel like you need using a word like “robust” to describe yourself.

Smells interesting. Like a swamp murder. Tastes like dragon piss. I tried it black, with sugar, with milk, with milk and sugar, with Jameson, and came to the conclusion that I am not a Lapsang Souchong girl. Banished it to the top of the refrigerator because it was stinking up all the other lovelies in my tea nook. Has since been relocated to the trash bin.

Smells like lox. Tastes like lox. Maybe I should try this with cream cheese.
I wanted a smoky tea, but this might be too much for me.

Brewed for 1 min 45 sec with boiling water, then added almond milk and sugar.

Let me tell you… this tea tastes WAY better than it smells. I can’t even keep it around my other teas, the smell is so strong. Before I drank it the first time, I was a bit hesitant to drink it because of the smell. I do like the FLAVOR though. I’ve drank this tea before (not sure why I didn’t leave a tasting note) but the local newspaper said to try maple syrup in tea. I didn’t know why I didn’t think of this myself. I thought I’d try a spoonful of the maple in this tea, as sort of a tree theme (you know, maple syrup, pine-smoked tea…) It is GOOD. I have never sweetened any tea with anything before. I usually like to drink tea by itself (and I get enough sugar elsewhere in my diet – I don’t need sugar in the one thing I eat that doesn’t have sugar in it!) The rating for this tea, is for how I might rate it without the maple in it. By itself, the tea is a nice smoky black. But occasionally, why not add a bit of maple to a cuppa tea?