Papaya Leaf Vanilla

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by aisling of tea

• “So, learning from the horror that was Painfully Strong Hibiscus Raspberry from this same company, I brewed this with only a teaspoon of tea, instead of a tablespoon. When I sniffed the finished...” Read full tasting note
    ladykittykat 1305 tasting notes
  • “So I was ordering coffee online from this Coffees of Hawaii place because of a promo they had for a certain coffee. While browsing the website, I noticed they had another little section for teas so...” Read full tasting note
    politicalmachine 74 tasting notes

From Coffees of Hawaii

For centuries, vanilla has been known for its aphrodisiac qualities, as well as being a favorite spice of many dessert chefs. Its sweetness is balanced by papaya leaf, which contains papain, a digestive enzyme known to help break down proteins. Papaya leaf has numerous healthful benefits, and can help relieve excess heat from the body. The vanilla beans are Maui-grown, and Moloka’i provides our papaya leaves.

About Coffees of Hawaii View company

So, learning from the horror that was Painfully Strong Hibiscus Raspberry from this same company, I brewed this with only a teaspoon of tea, instead of a tablespoon. When I sniffed the finished product, I hate to say this, but my immediate thought was of a cheap motel room by the pool. Kinda musty and chlorine-y, but not….I don’t know, it wasn’t a bad thing, kinda?

After I take a sip, I realize the smell reminds me of a hotel coffee, that’s what I’m associating it with. Not terrible…but not all that great, either.

My wife’s going to try this when she gets home, but I think I can safely say that if there are any coffee cherry enthusiasts out there, I’d be happy to send you some of these teas.

Maybe milk would help…
Ugh these teas confuse the heck out of me.

So I was ordering coffee online from this Coffees of Hawaii place because of a promo they had for a certain coffee. While browsing the website, I noticed they had another little section for teas so naturally that peaked my interest, they had a few of them and I decided to give one a try. The main product is the coffee cherry, which is the berry that contains the coffee beans. I’m guessing they noticed the potential to turn waste into a product and revenue (don’t blame them) and it seemed interesting enough to try. I like cherries. I like coffee (please don’t flame me!), so hell add those two up, and my interest is peaking. This blend is one with vanilla and papaya leaf so I went with the one that sounded the most interesting/exotic.

Now onto the “tea” itself. Dark red/brown, lighter in colour than a black tea, smell a bit of leaves (banana leaves in particular, if i recall correctly). Taste, does not taste like coffee at all to me, main flavour I am getting is red bean, crushed red bean.. the type you get in like cold Vietnamese/Chinese drinks. I don’t know what papaya leaf taste like, and I don’t taste any vanilla at all. I didn’t notice any vanilla bean segments in my scoop so maybe that’s why.

Overall though, it’s interesting.. but not interesting at all at the same time. This was ok to try and it was cheap. I got it for $5 for 3oz shipped, so really no harm there. I will not try and re-steep this one, doesn’t seem like it would be any better. I actually drank this before my coffee, so I’m kinda looking forward and hoping the coffee is good.

aisling of tea

lol did you order through RedFlagDeals? That’s where I got mine….ugh. I dearly hope the coffee is better than the “tea”

politicalmachine

yup good ol rfd lol, I noticed though after using the promo coupons I can really cheap chocolate espresso beans shipped for free! Did you notice on the packaging.. the return address is somewhere in Sweden. How odd lol

aisling of tea

That is weird. I unloaded my bog of this on a friend, not I just have to find someone to take this hibiscus raspberry.