Balade en Bretagne

Oolong Tea
Natural Caramel Flavor
Edit tea info Last updated by Ysaurella

• “I bought this tea in a beautiful tin this afternoon at La Grande Épicerie in Paris. Compagnie Coloniale is one of the oldest tea company in France. They are using a special method to flavour teas :...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 340 tasting notes

From Compagnie Coloniale

Oolong tea with large tea leaves and Salted butter caramel flavoured , sprinkled with toffee bits.

Thé Oolong grandes feuilles aromatisé beurre salé et caramel, parsemé de pépites de caramel.

About Compagnie Coloniale View company

Compagnie Coloniale is one of the oldest tea company in France. They are using a special method to flavour teas : a vapour method (or steam method, no idea which word is most adapted for tea flavouring in English !)

Of course I bought it because it is an Oolong…and because caramel beurre salé is really an appealing ingredient…isn’t it ?

The dry leaf smells incredibly good, caramelly and salted caramel…so noticeable.
Unfortunately the taste of the liquor is less noticeable. This is a light caramel, not an in your face one and this is really ok, a subtle caramel.

But I was expecting more Oolong notes and this Oolong base is a little too much discrete for my taste. This is a buttery Oolong, mellow but too much subtle for my pleasure to be complete.

I’ll play around temperature to see if it changes something for me.

TheTeaFairy

The idea of this tea sounds really nice though…Interesting method, never heard of steam infused flavours before…did you try others teas that were processed this way?

Oh, and can you take a Canadian fairy with you on your next visit to La Grande Épicerie de Paris?

Ysaurella

Never had before Compagnie Coloniale teas. The brand is really nice.
I should take a Canadian Fairy next time to retain me to buy everything in !
Honeys, cakes, teas …everything ! this Epicerie is out of budget…but sometimes it is so good…just to buy little yummy things…http://www.lagrandeepicerie.com/
ahhh si j’étais riche…;)

TheTeaFairy

Lol, I’m more the kind of fairy that would encourage you to buy everything!! Facile de se ruiner dans un tel endroit!!!

a canadian heffalump wants to come tooo!

TheTeaFairy

Of course, who could possibly say no to a heffalump???

Ysaurella

I imagine the idea…an heffalump and a Fairy (Canadian of course)+ me in la grande épicerie…a temple where we can find Mariage frères,Kusmi teas,Dammann frères,compagnie coloniale,Fortnum & Mason + 2 or 3 other brands (English and German)….you know what ? I think we should take a a banker with us too…

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Ysaurella, for real I AM a banker, lol! Your plan sounds delightful, I’ll just carry the vault with me, and a LARGE safety deposit box to bring all those precious teas back home!!

I’m saved so ;)

haha i almost qualify as being a banker… in that i work for one :)