Fireside Chat

Rooibos Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by mewakeling
Boiling 8 min or more 16 oz / 473 ml

• “Having let this sit on my shelf for months, I finally gave it another shot. This time I sweetened it and went for a minute and a half steep. I think sometimes I just can't win with teas, the...” Read full tasting note
    mewakeling 475 tasting notes
  • “*GCTTB3* Backlog from last night: This tea smells sooo good when you open the package. A beautiful mixture of orange and spice. However, when I brewed it last night, I let it steep for far too...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 410 tasting notes

From Cornelia Bean

A warm feeling of citrus-cinnamon.
Ingredients: Rooibos, orange peel, cinnamon pieces, cloves, flavour.

About Cornelia Bean View company

Having let this sit on my shelf for months, I finally gave it another shot. This time I sweetened it and went for a minute and a half steep. I think sometimes I just can’t win with teas, the flavour was a lot less rooibos-y, but this time I managed to oversweeten. It is a good tea, don’t get me wrong, but I can’t seem to brew out the orange and clove I am smelling without doing something else to ruin the cup. Maybe this one needs to sit on the shelf again for a while until I get some stroke of brilliance.

GCTTB3

Backlog from last night:

This tea smells sooo good when you open the package. A beautiful mixture of orange and spice. However, when I brewed it last night, I let it steep for far too long (I was in the basement dealing with laundry). Despite this, it was still pretty good, though adding a bit of honey didn’t do much to change the flavour.

One thing I’ve noticed about red rooibos is that it seems that there are two kinds of rooibos tastes. Some teas have rooibos that tastes woody and medicininal – this seems to be the majority. However, sometimes I’ve had rooibos that tastes somewhat citrusy and peppery – there’s a watery bite in the background that reminds me of watermelon rind.

I can smell the difference when it’s steeping, and this particular tea definitely seemed to smell like the second kind of red rooibos, which is the kind I prefer. I wish there were a way to find out what rooibos it would be before I tasted it, though, so I could avoid the woody kind.

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
gmathis

Understand your woody vs. peppery observation—I’ve had both, too.