Planet Jingmai Ancient Tree Sheng

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Green, Herbs, Mushrooms, Olive Oil, Spices, Thick, Apricot, Floral, Honey, Sugarcane, Honeydew, Honeysuckle, Mineral, Plums, Smoke, Freshly Cut Grass, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Vegetal, Wet Wood, Creamy, Smooth
Edit tea info Last updated by TheLastDodo

• “Oh hot damn. On my second steeping I was already expierencing some body feels. It felt like puer tea oil! This tea is incredible and I’m glad I had the opportunity to try it.” Read full tasting note
    TheOolongDrunk 41 tasting notes
  • “The second rinse is drinkable; however, it is strong! To brew the tea, I followed my typical sheng puerh parameters of water just off boil, with flash steeps for the first 5 to 7 steepings and...” Read full tasting note
    t-ching 2 tasting notes
  • “First experience with Crimson Lotus tea and pleasantly surprised. Straight up honeysuckle, honey, gentle sweet flavor, very pleasant to drink, nice longevity, but didn’t get any chi. I was...” Read full tasting note
    andresito 33 tasting notes
  • “From the Pu TTB This is my first tea from Crimson Lotus. The tightly rolled tea takes a few steeps to fully open up. Nice floral and honey notes on the first steep....” Read full tasting note
    tperez 191 tasting notes

From Crimson Lotus Tea

“A world of flavor in the palm of your hand!”

Don’t let their small size fool you. These tiny spheres of puerh are made from 300yo Gushu/Ancient Tree material from Jingmai. They were picked and processed in Spring of 2014. They have been aged loose as maocha in Jingmai until now. They are fantastic. The aroma is thick with honey. The flavor is smooth and floral with just enough bitterness and astringency to keep your palate interested.

Each of these hand made ‘planets’ weigh 8 grams. They are hand wrapped and ready to brew. These work great with any style of brewing. You can toss one in a gaiwan or clay teapot. They work great grandpa style, or in an on the go thermos. They are tightly compressed so we give them a nice long initial wash to help them open up. The first steep is longer than normal until the leaves open up.

About Crimson Lotus Tea View company

Flavors: Green, Herbs, Mushrooms, Olive Oil, Spices, Thick

6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

The second rinse is drinkable; however, it is strong! To brew the tea, I followed my typical sheng puerh parameters of water just off boil, with flash steeps for the first 5 to 7 steepings and adjustments to taste. Planet Jingmai started off with a very pleasant honey sweetness. There was no astringency or smoke, this was a very smooth sheng. As the leaves opened up in middle steeps, the sweetness turned into more of a grassy flavor with a touch of wood. At this point, my mind was feeling extremely relaxed. A nice sense of calm came over me and I started to feel very warm. There is a term for this feeling called “tea drunk” or “cha qi”. I had only sensed this with a few teas, but on Planet Jingmai, the cha qi was strong! After about 15 steeps, I was very relaxed, and needed a break from the tea. The leaves were overflowing in my gaiwan, but there was plenty of flavor left in the leaves. I decided to continue the session the next day, something I had never done before.

Day two on Planet Jingmai and the leaves had completely unfurled and were overflowing in my gaiwan, so I transferred them to a 180ml yixing pot. I rinsed the leaves with boiling water for about 15 seconds and then continued my session. The tea was still full of flavor, and it seemed that the honey sweetness came back once the grassy notes subsided. The tea finally gave up around 20 steeps or so, and I took the leaves out to examine and found whole leaves! I couldn’t believe these were all wrapped up in a tiny orb.

Full review at http://www.tching.com/2016/04/blasting-off-to-planet-jingmai/

Flavors: Apricot, Floral, Honey, Sugarcane

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

First experience with Crimson Lotus tea and pleasantly surprised. Straight up honeysuckle, honey, gentle sweet flavor, very pleasant to drink, nice longevity, but didn’t get any chi. I was confused how a 300 year old tree could have no chi? I’ll see if this changes in later sessions and update review then.

Lasting huigans, gentle bitter/astringency that converted to gentle sweet lingering honeysuckle which is one feature of shengs I love most!

I enjoyed this tea. it was entirely pleasant and mellow and you could tell made with quality material. I think these will age well. I will buy another 5-10 balls and see what happens to them over the years.

brewing: 2 flash rinses with reused rinse water, so water was cooler each time. Didn’t want to fatigue the exterior leaves while I tried to hydrate the interior. The interior was packed very hard and was dry even when the outter leaves were soaked and loose. After 2-3 rinses, I left lid on teapot for 1 hour 45 minutes and then came back and gave it another flash rinse with boiling water. Then when it cooled enough I used my hands to slowly and gently separate the ball leaf by leaf until it was completely loose maocha. Then I started my gongfu sessions.

Flavors: Honeydew, Honeysuckle

From the Pu TTB

This is my first tea from Crimson Lotus. The tightly rolled tea takes a few steeps to fully open up. Nice floral and honey notes on the first steep. Moderately bitter and lightly mineral and fruity. HONEY! The honeyed taste only seems to become more prominent with further steeps. A very nice sheng that I would consider buying, though a bit pricey for me at $6/planet.

I made my first order with Crimson Lotus a couple of days ago; a little black jian shui pot! Did anyone pick one up from them last year? I look forward to trying it out and comparing to yixing

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Mineral

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
KiwiDelight

I bought one of the black Shi Pao pots last year, 100ml. I adore it. I use it for young sheng and it makes the soup so smooth. Congrats on your pot! I’m sure you’ll really like. I’m eyeing one of the red Bian Xishi pots…

tperez

Glad you like it! Mine is a 90ml bian xishi, the smallest pot I’ve ever had, but hopefully not too small

KiwiDelight

It shouldn’t be. CLT also sells 60ml pots.

tperez

I saw that! Personally I’m more comfortable with the 100-150ml range, but I did have a gaiwan about 90ml that I liked

KiwiDelight

I like different sizes for different teas. Larger gaiwan for rolled oolongs, for instance. I seem to be preferring smaller and smaller pots these past couple years. I don’t want to drink from too much leaf, keeping the same water:leaf ratio, especially when I’m sampling (samples are what my stash consists of 75% of the time).

Every time I hold my pots, I’m still surprised at how small they are!

I received a set of two handmade Jianshui Zi Tao Bamboo Tea Cups from Crimson Lotus Tea today so I thought it fitting that I christen them with one of these awesome little planets.

This tightly compressed orb of love needed a little extra TLC to awaken to the world so in the pot it went for a 30s bath followed by a couple minute steam rest, then back in for a couple more baths as it slowly started to blossom. I admit with zero shame that I drank every subtle thin rinse and enjoyed the not yet strongly flavor noted goodness. On the final awakening bath I could really see what this would become. Early steeps were slightly bitter but nothing overwhelming and notes of light apricot were present as well as some slight vegetal characteristics that disappeared in later infusions. As the session progressed the liquor became sweeter and the apricot almost transitioned into honey sweetened peach. At this point all I could think is how this felt like what would happen if bug bitten oolong met sheng. Even further in some slight black pepper, light smokiness and some spice like you’d get in a spiced rum. The leaf really opened up and took multiple infusions well to the point that after about seven I stopped and will finish tomorrow.

This is not only beautiful to look at in its planetary form but also as it unfurls into beautifully sized green leaves of love. Nicely aromatic and full of some serious flavor notes that keep evolving. I definitely need to purchase more of these beauties.

Around 8.5g, 120m Duan Ni, boiling temperature with 30s pre bath, 2m steam bath, another two 30s baths and then 15s steeps and climbing from there.
I expect at least a half dozen more infusions at least until the leaf wanes.

The Lonely Planet:

The Evolution of Leaf:

The Session:

The Cups:

Update:
A day later and the twelfth and final infusion…

Boiling 8 tsp 4 OZ / 120 ML

Grabbed one of these when I ordered some teaware from CLT. I’ve heard about its reluctance to open up so my first few steeps were long and included me steaming the ball in the gaiwan as well as manually trying to pry the damn thing apart. I managed to do so and then realized it’s much too much leaf for the gaiwan I was using. I think maybe you need a 200-250 ml container? I removed about half of the leaves to continue steeping later but then lost them in a tragic fridge accident that also managed to take a large chip out of one of my gaiwans :(

The first few steeps of this I got pure apricot. It was quite possibly the most apricot tasting thing I’ve ever had including most actual apricots. I was a little suprised by this as I don’t remember it being mentioned in anything I read when I decided to pick one up. The second steep was almost a bit smokey which was strange. Later steeps continued with the apricot along with some light drying astringency coming out. Then it mellowed out into honey. It steeped for awhile, but I lost count with all the fumbling around with the leaves and the mess I made. I’m steeping out the last of it in the fridge now to see if I can’t get a bit more.

It’s more leaf than I really need at one time for home use but I would love to see how this fairs in a travel mug for all day at work. I’m a little bummed I didn’t grab the set of five…one lonely planet indeed.

Flavors: Apricot, Honey

Crimson Lotus Tea

I had some yesterday and got strong apricot notes this time as well. I was surprised.

CWarren

I agree on both the honey and apricot and on the fact no one should ever just buy one lonely planet.

Gooseberry Spoon

I was a fool.

This is my first experience with Pu-Erh and I will definitely be back for more. This tea was so great! The leaves lasted for so long, and the flavor was evolving with each steeping. I can’t wait to explore the world of Pu-Erh tea. Regardless, this is a fantastic tea, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Flavors: Honey, Plums, Smoke

mrmopar

This is a good one to start with for sure.

Crimson Lotus Tea

Wow. That was your first puerh! That’s a great place to start. I’m really glad you liked it. Thanks for the review!

OMGsrsly was generous enough to send me one of these orbs. Thank you so much.

I’ve been finding that I like sheng better with less leaf than is normally recommended. So yes, I broke this in half.
About a week ago I used one half and did a gongfu session with it. It was nice and light. I didn’t take detailed notes – but it was good. Maybe just a hint bitter with a little grassy – but not excessive.

Today I’ve taken the other half and dumped it into a steeping basket and a Davids perfect mug. I know, I know – but western steep works for me sometimes. This is one of those time. This is really good with short – 15/20 sec. A little creamy, really smooth, just a hint of the sheng mustiness. With this preparation, this is right up there with my favorite shengs.

OMGsrsly

Ooh neat idea. IDK that I’ll break mine up, but I do have two left to play with. I think.

I am back from vacation!
This is my second attempt at brewing this, for the first time wasn’t all that great.

This session was much better. I got a new teapot as a gift while on vacation, and it seasoned very nicely. I dedicated the yixing to large leaf fresh spring sheng. I opened up the wrapper and reveled a very tightly wound little orb. The planet has a slight spiced green scent. I warmed up the yixing and popped this orb inside. i let it sit in the pot for some time to soak up the steam. I opened the lid and took in a wonderful fresh sweet scent. I washed the orb three times to allow the leaves to begin opening up. The taste began light and sweet, with a nice golden color. The brew progressively grew darker and yielded some more deeper flavors. The beginning of these tastes were intensely fresh; this orb is pure spring. I tasted some strong grassy notes with a wonderful sweetness. The brew has a brief peppery kuwei and a nice huigan that follows the drinker. The brew grew into some light roasted tones with a warm slight nuttiness in the aftertaste. The grassy tones kept consistently strong throughout the entire session; however, I also noted some woodiness in a later steeping. The drink has a beginning bite and then soothes with a sugarcane sweetness. The final steeping had a dry grass tone covered with a wet wood and warm sweetness. The qi is nice and warming with an alert effect. The sensation begins behind the eyelids and flows throughout the body. This warming feeling cools down to a percolating stimulate and gives the drinker a nice buzz. I liked this little orb. I would categorize this as a nice treat for traveling, but it isn’t something I’d keep for a staple. The price point is a little high for this tea. I enjoyed my session, and I’m happy that I gave this another chance.

Flavors: Freshly Cut Grass, Green, Sugarcane, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Vegetal, Wet Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 OZ / 130 ML
Crimson Lotus Tea

Welcome back from your vacation. I’m glad you gave this one another go.

Last 2 days i spent on Planet Jingmai by Crimson Lotus Tea. I think its my 3rd orb since i got it last April. its developing nicely. its thicker,leaves are getting darker. so sweet,almost no astringency, just barely. i used off boil water, that what i do for any sheng, young or middle aged. It was opening slowly and i was patient. ive had some other teas in between. it made me very mellow and relaxed.
i started in 90ml shiboridashi and ended up in 150ml yixing pot. i had to give a room for the leaves explosion!

Kirkoneill1988

shiboridashi? what is that? :)

Brian

its basically a japanese gaiwan….

Or easy Gaiwan

KiwiDelight

I still have the two balls I got in the summer. I’m thinking this weekend I’ll finally have one…

@Brian, awesome!

Crimson Lotus Tea

I’ve spent the last three days on one ball in a Jianshui teapot. They’ve got some long legs. I mistakenly started one ball in a 50ml yixing. It just fit so cute in there. Big mistake! :-)

boychik

@ Crimson Lotus Tea its still in my Hanwa, its spilling out of it and its 150ml lol
I had two cups in the morning and had to go to bed for a nap ;P

boychik KiwiDelight start in small gaiwan but be prepared to transfer. every night i just spread leaves on a plate. dont keep lid on between steeps to avoid cooking the leaves. 200- 205F was a right temp for me, it wasnt bitter or astringent
OMGsrsly

So do I need to find a bigger teapot for it, boychik? How does 18oz sound?

boychik

OMGsrsly lol that’s extremely big. 6-8oz pot is fine. If you don’t have that size fill your 18oz in half. Otherwise it will be thin

Kirkoneill1988

@Crimson Lotus Tea, what is the gram amount per ball?

OMGsrsly

Hahaha. :D Yeah, I know. It’s thermos size. I think I have something ~200ml. :)

Kirkoneill1988

does anyone know the gram amount?

boychik

@kirkoneill 1988. I think they are about 6g more or less.

Kirkoneill1988

@Boychik, hmm… weird that it could get so bitter :/

boychik

@kirkoneill it’s not bitter, I didn’t say that. Have you tried it and was it bitter for you?

KiwiDelight

I really appreciate your advice! I have my 4oz porcelain gaiwan, but also a 6oz glass tea pot. Those should be fine, right?

Crimson Lotus Tea

@Kirkoneill1988 they’re about 8g per ball. It varies, but the average is around there.

boychik

@ KiwiDelight yes, start in smallest vessel. Then you will have to transfer, leaves would just explode. Like oolong.
@Crimson Lotus I never weighted them. You are right they are bigger than 6g

Kirkoneill1988

@boychik, i must have misread it somewhere :/ i apologize

Kirkoneill1988

@Crimson Lotus Tea, i see :)

boychik

@ Kirkoneill1988 cool , apology not needed . I thought you’ve tried and it was bitter for you. Misunderstanding