Cavalla

Cocoa
Bitter, Cinnamon, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate, Cocoa, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by VariaTEA
Boiling 8 min or more 10 oz / 307 ml

• “SSTTB take 2! This one befuddled me when I opened the box. Hot chocolate powder? Mixed with cacao nibs and cinnamon bark? WTF? And a note very boldly stating NO paper filters? Well then. Tea...” Read full tasting note
    Ceylon Star 81 tasting notes
  • “This one came from *mj*, and I've had it for a little while. Tonight I was craving some hot chocolate, so I thought I'd give it a try! Dry, it looks like a course milk chocolate-colored sand. ...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 827 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *VariaTea*, for making a crappy day a bit better with your package of delicious teas and cacao :D Brewed this one up first (I don't know if I'll bother with side-by-sides - it seems like...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2606 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown (127)! Thank you *VariaTEA* for the sample! I think, out of the three I've had so far, this is my least favourite Crio Bru blend thus far - it was chocolate-y but it was also quite bitter,...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2265 tasting notes

From Crio Bru

Premium roasted cocoa with natural hints of coconut and cinnamon

Winding along its western front, the Cavalla™ River gives shape to the exotic Ivory Coast. The surrounding agricultural area is dotted with small, family-owned farms that produce the very best African cacao. The dark, earthy-toned beans are carefully handpicked and dried naturally by the sun to enhance the full-bodied chocolate flavor, which hints of dark spice, coconut and cinnamon. These incredible natural flavors come to life when you brew a cup of Cavalla™, made from 100% pure, perfectly roasted cocoa beans.

Crio Bru is made from roasted cocoa beans.

2 tbsp per 177ml/6oz cup, brew long (6-12 min) or mix with coffee (or tea!). No paper filters as they will clog.

About Crio Bru View company

SSTTB take 2!

This one befuddled me when I opened the box. Hot chocolate powder? Mixed with cacao nibs and cinnamon bark? WTF? And a note very boldly stating NO paper filters? Well then. Tea Frens – HALP! haha

Threw a tablespoon of “leaf” in a steeper basket and let it steep for about 13 minutes (aka the time it took me to shower and shave, haha).

Oh. Em. Gee. Dark chocolate explosion!!!! The cinnamon takes a backseat and offers a bit of a tingle on the tail end of the dark chocolate goodness. Mmmm, reminds me of the chocolate my sister brought me back from her trip to Ecuador a few years ago!

This is actually a fascinating “tea” and I’d be interested in trying some of the other types if it weren’t for the fact that Herbal Infusions is terrible. I wonder if I could find it anywhere else…..?

Thank you SSTTB frens for the chance to try such a unique cuppa!

Flavors: Bitter, Cinnamon, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate

OMGsrsly

Ahahaha… :D Yeah, it’s ground cacao nibs, basically.

Indigobloom

That does sound tasty. Noms.

Kittenna

This isn’t from HI – it’s from Crio Bru – so you’re in the clear! It’s the cacao shells that are from HI, and I believe Sil (or someone) found an alternate source, since it’s not a blend or anything.

Afro Dj Yak

Do yourself a favor and try the Maya. Oh. Em. Gee as you would say. So good. The cayenne and the cinnamon and the dark chocolate and I’m drinking it and nobody talk to me because my mind is bending!

OMGsrsly

Oh yeah, this is Crio Bru. The sample packs online are a good deal, and then I’ve found it at Whole Foods, as well as a lot of the more “natural foods” grocery stores here. So good.

Bear With Me

Sweet! I just assumed that all cacao teas were HI, based on what I’ve heard/read. Glad this one isn’t, I need to get my paws on some! haha

OMGsrsly

The cacao that HI and some other places sell is the shells. This is just ground beans. Pre-chocolate, if you will. :)

This one came from mj, and I’ve had it for a little while. Tonight I was craving some hot chocolate, so I thought I’d give it a try! Dry, it looks like a course milk chocolate-colored sand. It’s a mixture of larger, darker, flaky pieces with smaller, lighter, more powdery looking granules. Dry, it smells amazing, just like hot chocolate. I let my cup steep for 10 minutes.

Whew, this is rather intense. It’s definitely strong dark chocolate flavor, but I had a hard time drinking it straight, so I added some sugar to my cup. I would be curious to see how this comes out if you try to steep it in soy milk instead of water (I have a sample of Maracaibo so I may have to try that). I can definitely taste a touch of cinnamon warmth. I’m unsure whether I can taste coconut, but I have a feeling the flavor notes described on the different varieties will be hard to find unless they’re all tasted beside each other. Overall, a good substitute for hot chocolate, but since I added sugar to mine anyway I don’t suppose it’s any better for me. :P

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate

Boiling 8 min or more 6 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Thank you VariaTea, for making a crappy day a bit better with your package of delicious teas and cacao :D

Brewed this one up first (I don’t know if I’ll bother with side-by-sides – it seems like effort and I don’t feel like putting much in right now), and am very pleased with the results. I used 1 tbsp for about 8 oz. of boiling water, and left it for…. a while. Not really sure how long. But the result is very rich, dark, creamy, and much like hot chocolate without the sugar. It’s a touch bitter, but less so than I would have expected. Overall, pretty tasty, and I’m excited to try the others.

3 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Sipdown (127)!

Thank you VariaTEA for the sample! I think, out of the three I’ve had so far, this is my least favourite Crio Bru blend thus far – it was chocolate-y but it was also quite bitter, and I was surprised when I looked it up here on Steepster because apparently it’s supposed be cinnamon/coconut and I definitely didn’t get either of those things.

So far Vega Real is my favourite, but I’ve got a few more to try so who knows, right?

Flavors: Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Dark Chocolate

2068 tasting notes

This is much lighter and creamier in comparison to Coca River. It still tastes like dark chocolate but the bitterness is far less prominent. I don’t necessarily detect coconut like Courtney did but it is certainly enjoyable nonetheless.

In my comparison this evening with Coca River, I can totally get the coconut in this awesome cuppa now. It adds to the creaminess, and is ever so subtle, but it’s there.

Perhaps that’s why I’ve been reaching for this one the most.

VariaTEA

I think tomorrow after work, I will start doing comparisons of these teas. I will be sure to watch for the creaminess in this one and the bitterness in Coca River

Yeah, ok, this might be stretching it a bit with the whole “herbal tea” thing.

I found this in a local grocery store and could not resist. I bought some. Yes. And finally tonight I brewed some up. 2 tbsp this and 1 tbsp coffee (I KNOW! Coffee isn’t tea!) in a 10 oz mug for just over 3 mins. I added cream.

It’s actually REALLY good. Think 90% dark chocolate. Blended with coffee. This would be a great addition to some teas, although the website says this stuff brews best at 8-12 minutes. Maybe treat it like a chai and cook it on the stovetop, adding tea for the last few minutes? Any tea you want to taste intensely dark chocolatey and have that rich delicious mouthfeel of chocolate (that might be partially the cream talking!). That’s what you’d brew it with. I’m thinking a couple puerh teas I have might be really nice with it. Hazelnut teas. Yes. It is time to experiment.

This one says it has notes of coconut and cinnamon. I definitely taste the cinnamon notes. So delicious. I think I’ll brew up some more without the caffeine, maybe in almond milk, for a before bed treat!

I can’t remember which one I picked u lol

OMGsrsly

I was unpacking from yesterday and today, and the kettle was on… I couldn’t resist. :) It’s steeped ground cocoa nibs. That should describe the flavour pretty well! Just too bad it calls for SO MUCH per cup! I’ll update later after I have a latte version.

Just double checked…I had picked up maracaibo

OMGsrsly

They didn’t have any of that one left!

OMGsrsly

Report back: I steeped 2 tbsp this in 12 oz-ish final volume of unsweetened almond milk. I heated it on the stove then covered it and left it for… a while. 15 mins? 30 mins? Somewhere in there. Then I strained it carefully into a mug, and sipped. OMG. It’s like drinking 99% chocolate. So I added sugar. And more sugar. And ended up with 1.5tsp sugar in my mug, to get it to the “rich dark drinking chocolate” level of barely sweetness.

Interesting. I quite like it because it’s richer than cocoa powder due to the whole bean-ness of it. Not for every day though.

If you ever let me send mail to you, I’ll send you a bit of the one I picked up heh

Anna

Cavalla is fish. And a river.

I’ve been to Kavala, which is in Greece.

The name of this tea confuses me.

OMGsrsly

The chocolate is grown near the Cavalla River, apparently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalla_River