White Chocolate Spice Chai

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jaime

From Culinary Teas

This Spiced Chai has seasonal Malabar Coast spices, the sweet caramel comes to the fore front with a sensuous Belgian White Chocolate finish. Spices include Ginger, Cardamom, Coriander, Cinnamon, Cloves and Black Pepper.

About Culinary Teas View company

Another sample from LiberTEAS! Thank you!

Clearly I’m not so good at this work thing.

Anyhow, the smell of the dry tea is really just of chai spicing. Nothing particularly special, although it does smell good. I’m excited to see the white chocolate chips in the bag, though!

Steeped, I’m definitely still smelling spices, but one in particular is overwhelming the rest. I’m not exactly sure which it is though. I can definitely smell black pepper… perhaps it’s just the combination of that with the other spices that is throwing me a bit. Ok, mixed it up a tad and it now smells more like a standard chai (or what I’m used to, anyhow). Interesting – I think I can smell some citrus? Or something that smells citrusey. And definitely cloves as well, although it’s thankfully not overpowering.

Eek. I do not think this is a tea that’s meant to be consumed straight. It is too heavily spiced! Consequently it is bitter and… not all that great. Luckily, I have my travel TImolino here, so into it goes the chai, to be taken home and milked/sweetened. I do think this will be tasty once it has some milk and sugar, but right now it is too potent for me! Updates to come.

ETA: Tasty loaded with milk and sugar. I get the creamy notes this way (moreso than a regular chai). I’ll have to re-review later.

This tea is fantastic. A wonderful way to wake up.

Serving this non-latte, with just a little turbinado sugar to enhance the spices, this is an amazingly good chai. The description is pretty spot on, with caramel-y tones in the foreground and the white chocolate coming through near the finish. It’s very delicious. The spices are somewhat mild, but along with the smooth white chocolate finish comes a little peppery kick. Overall, it is warm and sweet and very yummy.

I received this in a swap from Darby. White chocolate is my fav type of chocolate, so creamy so sweet, delicious.
This is definitely one spicy smelling chai, that is however the only smell I am getting. I love the white chips in it. I had to add a few more because I just knew that the few small chips wouldn’t make enough of a white chocolate difference, so I did.
Upon pouring it has a very creamy like colour ohh should be yummy.
Wow this has to be the spiciest chai I have tasted, one of the spices comes out at the front I just can’t quite place it, maybe nutmeg. It’s also creamy I think from my added white chips, although I am getting no white chocolate flavour. Perhaps a little honey would bring it out. As this tea sits and cools slightly it looses the creaminess and becomes bitter. Unfortunetly I can’t chug a hot cup of tea.

Thanks to Darby for sending this as part of a trade! I figured this wasn’t JUST a chai as it is labeled since I saw a ton of black tea in it (more than spices anyway). It is also a black tea as the description above says. I have no idea why more chai isn’t mixed with black, since it seems it would make sense. But since it was mixed with black tea, the chai flavor wasn’t stronger. I couldn’t really taste the white chocolate though, and I definitely saw at least one chocolate chip go into my infuser. Not bad… I like it because it is probably the only chai/black blend I have right now!

I’m having sneezing fits this evening, and the powdered spices in this blend are not helping! This chai is incredibly fragrant and obviously full of different spices: ginger, cardamom, cloves, definitely black pepper. I don’t detect any whole cardamom pods or cloves in the bag. It seems they’re all chopped instead of whole. It’s also quite sweet smelling. Once brewed, the spicy aroma still comes through, namely cloves.

I wasn’t impressed with the strength of the previous two teas I tried from Culinary Teas, so I brewed this double strength, upped the steep time, and used slightly cooler water to cut back on the astringency I found in their Assam base. I think that really made a difference in terms of strength, but this still leaves my mouth feeling dry. Seems I’m really sensitive to astringency lately.

Unsweetened, this tastes quite sharp with a hint of bitterness. Not something I would drink straight-up. Some added turbinado sugar (about a tsp) cuts the bitterness and really compliments the spice, but doesn’t enhance the white chocolate. There probably just aren’t enough of those mini chips to really make a difference. Milk makes this much smoother and creamier. I’ll try this next as a proper latte, simmered in milk and maybe with some honey.

I am a huge fan of dessert teas and of chai teas as well. Though the white chocolate flavor gets a bit lost in this tea, it’s sweet and spice flavor mix does provide for a delicious cup. I think I will play around with adding a bit more white chocolate or extra milk or even over ice to see how that effects the flavor. There is something really good here, it just needs a bit of love to bring it out more! I’ll post another note once I have mixed it up a bit.

I love white chocolate, but I’m not sure how the taste translates to tea, since I think it just tastes like sugar and cocoa butter. I threw this into my order because it sounded interesting. The samples from Culinary teas are huge – twice the size of most companies!

The smell of the dry leaves is dusty, and intensely of cloves. I was not excited as cloves are almost my least favorite part of chai (though still, better that than star anise!) I brewed up a whole pot of this to share with my husband. There is an oily sheen to the top of the tea, likely from the melted white chocolate chips. First sip (no additions) is really all about the cloves. It’s sharp and a bit unpleasant. But chai needs milk and sugar, so I added both to my cup.

It’s nicer with the milk, which tames the clove a bit. I still think the flavor is unbalanced. There is a slight creaminess, but I can’t really taste the white chocolate (that’s ok, I didn’t think I would!) I do like the bite of black pepper at the end. My husband, who is far more sensitive to bitter tastes than I, took one sip of his tea and then immediately headed to the fridge for his cinnamon coffee creamer. I don’t believe in non-dairy creamer, so I can’t say, but he said the cinnamon made it much better. I can’t really recommend this one – I would like more spice, but less cloves. Drinkable, but a bit of a last resort tea for me!