Black Chai Blend
Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, Spicy
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

Spicy Chai backed by more ginger. Guaranteed to burn the heart out of you. Because that’s what people BREW.

Inspired by BBC’s Sherlock, which I am in no way affiliated with. This is created purely for my own enjoyment.

Ginger and Massala Chai

created by Cara McGee

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

tea number 666 !!!!!
six six six!!
cuz he’s evil! Moriarty is EEEEvillll!

(okay goodnight.)

tea-sipper

haha… I’m hoping Moriarty is secretly the brother that Mycroft mentions as “the other one” on the newest ep.

Okay, so this was the last tea I tried from my Sherlock sampler, and the first to review. I left it to last because I have an absurd hatred for ginger, and didn’t think I was going to like this tea at all. What really surprised me was that it’s actually pretty good, and you can taste the ginger but it’s not like being punched in the mouth – it just mixes really nicely with the other chai spices.

As this is my first review, I had to decide on a scoring system (which took waaaay longer than it should have) and I finally decided to basically give it a score out of 10 and then scale it up. 0-50 is bad-average and 50-100 is average-great. I know I’m a mould-breaking genius. I gave this a 68 because 70+ is reserved for the REALLY great teas, and it wasn’t quite there.

If anybody actually reads this, you’ll realise that I am really picky and pseudo-scientific when it comes to trying new teas, and first have them plain, then with sugar/honey/milk/cream and combinations of the above. I actually preferred this one plain, which is so weird for me, especially with chais, so I’m not entirely sure what’s up with that. After having it plain, I added honey, then milk (because I’d let it cool too much to dissolve sugar crystals). I haven’t tried it with sugar or cream yet.

Plain – ginger comes through first and foremost, but it’s not too strong a flavour, it’s balanced out with the black tea.

With honey – as soon as I added the honey the ginger flavour gave way to the chai spices, and I didn’t like it as much. May be better with sugar than honey.

With honey and milk – the milk rounded out the flavour quite a bit, and oddly brought out the flavour of the pepper in the chai. My least favourite of the three ways I tried it, but still drinkable.

My overall score for each tea will be based on my favourite way to drink it (plain, in this case) and despite not being a fan of ginger I really enjoyed this tea! I would definitely recommend this blend, particularly to ginger lovers.

P.S. Apologies if anyone actually read this entire thing, it’s ended up a bit longer than I expected – I tend to drone on a bit. Hopefully future reviews will be shorter, seeing as this was my first one!

Boiling 6 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 350 ML
Hello.Kiki

Yay! First review! It took me forever to get a rating system too (normally I would just go by the smiley faces, lol)

Nattie

You have no idea how long I agonised over it! I think I may be a bit too harsh of a marker… Oops!

Thanks for sticking with it and reading it! I didn’t actually think anyone would (:

Hello.Kiki

I’m kind of the same way when I try new tea. I reserve my first cup to be plain, the second maybe with sugar, third with honey. I’ve only very recently been trying a few with milk but it still seems weird to me. not sure why? haha.

Nattie

Haha I’ve only recently started having tea without milk! I guess adding milk is just the way I’ve been brought up, with being British and all :P I’m glad I’m not alone on the kinda-sorta-scientific stuff!

welcome to the madness guys! :) nothing wrong with long review!

So I made a test run of some chocolate covered popcorn that I plan on serving on my girls night this week :) YUM! I love that sweet and salty combination!
Well after that, I really wanted something different so I reached for this blend. I hadn’t tried it yet, which is surprising considering it was one of the ones I was most excited to try out of the sampler. I guess I would always reach for it and suddenly Moriarty would flash before my eyes “I will BURN the heart out of you!” yikes! The cup is enjoyable, but I was hoping for more cinnamon. I will reach for this when I need an extra kick for sure, but I won’t order a full bag of this one.

BECAUSE I LOVE MORIARTEA.
I don’t own him, but Monica does and we have tea parties every week aaand MORIARTEA TIME. I’M EXCITE. BEST TEA EVER OKAY.

This was another Friday try, but due to a busy weekend I never did get chance to write a note. Quite a few of the Sherlock blends are chai-based, it seems, which is okay with me because I rather like chai. I used 1 tsp of leaf, and gave it 4 minutes in boiling water. I added a splash of milk.

This is probably my favourite of them so far – a relatively normal masala chai blend (good notes of pepper, clove and cardamon), with a strong overtone of ginger spiciness. It wasn’t too hot, or mouth-burningly spicy, although I expect that could be ramped up with a longer brew time or a bit more leaf, or by leaving out the milk. I like it as-is, though. I think it strikes a good balance for my tastes personally.

The fandom aspect is pretty apparent here – Moriarty says he will burn Sherlock, after all, so a spicy blend is more than fitting. It’s not as devilish as it could be (clearly something could be learned from 52Teas Mayan Chocolate Chai), but it’s drinkable, which is definitely more important. And I reckon the spiciness could be increased as I’ve already said, so that’s fair enough. A great cup for a cold evening.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Initially, I found this tea slightly bland. (I like my chai to burn the back of my throat as I drink it). However, as I got better at brewing it, and worked my way towards the bottom of the bag, the spice started to become more powerful. This is an excellent masala chai blend. Also, I adore the label art!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger, Spicy

Boiling 7 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 7 OZ / 207 ML

I really like this simple tea (chai + ginger), even if I was expecting a bit more… devilishness from it, after its namesake and all. ;) It’s a solid chai, and one that I do (and will) enjoy often. Having said that, it’s far from an amazing chai ever, so I doubt I’d make a point of restocking it. It’s just nice.

I don’t own this, but I’m putting out a begging note of PLEASE IF YOU HAVE IT AND WANT TO GIVE IT AWAY, PLEASE, PITY A BROKE COLLEGE STUDENT WHO LOVES BBC SHERLOCK AND WOULD ADORE TRYING SUCH A FUN SOUNDING TEA. I know, I’m cheating, putting this as a tasting note…but I REALLY want to try it!!

In other news, WHO HAS FINISHED SERIES 3 OF SHERLOCK? I want to talk to people about it!

I’ve been drinking Moriartea regularly for the past four days. I find it a soothing chai without much of a bite, but then I love ginger. I will probably buy more of this because it is soothing for me.

Sometimes, I worry that I’ll be unduly influenced by character blends and think the tea is tastier because I like the character. Though I’m a huge Moriarty fan, that is not a factor in this tea. It is explosive and awesome, by ANY name.

I should note that I regularly drink 100% ginger root infusions, so I have no problems with a huge wallop of spicy ginger. Moriarty WILL burn the heart out of you if you’re not so inclined.

This is one of my absolute favorite breakfast teas. Tasty, with a nice caffeine pop, and just the kind of warming, stimulating experience from start to finish that helps get me going for the day.

1 Tb tea to 12 oz water, plus a Stevia sweetener equal to 2 tsp sugar.