Black Chai Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

• “Ohkay. I've been impatiently waiting for this package all day. I've been hiding in my room because I was so tired after work - I won two contests and associate of the month, and that takes effort,...” Read full tasting note
    michellefeda 318 tasting notes
  • “Ok I started writing this last night but got distracted by hockey failures. Thank you to *Starfevre* for the sample of this, I had been thinking about getting it previously so a sample really...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1212 tasting notes
  • “thank you, Starfevre, for the trade! I adore the BBC Sherlock, that I caught by accident one day. I rarely just sit at the TV and flip channels. That time I caught the first airing of the first...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1523 tasting notes
  • “"Bravery is by far the kindest word for stupidity, don't you think?" - Mycroft Holmes thank you *Shadowfall* for this taste of the Queen. haha tv joke. anyways, i don't really prefer chai's but...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 744 tasting notes

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

No brother, I have not been eating more cake. I’ve been drinking it.

Inspired by BBC’s Sherlock, which I am in no way affiliated with. This is created purely for my own enjoyment.

Ingredients: Chocolate Chip, Rooibos Vanilla Chai, Cream

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

Initially, I’d worried that the spice might be too strong, but this is perfect! With a little milk and sugar, it tastes exactly like a spiced cookie. That’s all that needs saying about it, I think: delicious. Like gingersnaps and snickerdoodles. And how appropriate for Mycroft, too!

This is what my daughter and I started out with when we grabbed the Sherlock tin bundle – and it was a great choice! Creamy with a chai kick, that’s the best way to describe this. Maybe a touch cake-y.

Delicious dessert tea (aka weekend breakfast tea, if you’re me). Perfect with milk and sugar. I should really remember to drink this more often.

I made this yesterday in a new strainer ball, not really thinking, just glad to have a new ball and try it out. Well, I should never have picked this tea! All the rooibos happily swam out through the mesh and the seam where the two halves of the ball are supposed to meet. That was a fun cup to drink *insert eye-roll here

Today I used my regular finum, making the tea double strength as I was hoping to add some milk to this. Come to find out (after I’ve finished brewing my tea of course) we are out of milk. While it is strong, it’s still very good. I like the heavier body to the brew. It’s got a plush feel to it.

The verdict? YUM

It tastes like drinking a hug. This is a much better comfort tea (in my opinion) than Reichenbach Recovery. It smells like a snickerdoodle and tastes like heaven. Milk and sugar definitely required and highly recommended.

When I opened it, all I could smell was gingerbread. When I steeped it, gingerbread. When I drink it, gingerbread. And when it fades to the aftertaste? You guessed it; gingerbread.

Gingerbread isn’t bad, mind you. It’s just not what I was expecting. I can’t really taste anything else. I guess it’s the really strong and slightly bitter Chai? I’ve never had it before, so maybe I just have to adjust.

But the first time I brewed it for 6 minutes and it was almost too bitter to drink. I had added a little sugar but it was too much (though the gingerbread aftertaste was nice)! My fiance couldn’t handle it either so we added honey to dull the taste. Then I tried it again, going for 3 minutes, and mixed with milk and sugar. Still needs more sugar. It’s not that sweet, just… gingerbread.

That’s all I can really taste! Still, I’ll finish my 3oz bag. It’s not bad; pretty good, even. Just not expected.

Edit// Tried it again this morning. Added milk and a little extra sugar. I’m drinking gingerbread. The bitterness is gone and it just tastes like cookies, and it’s amazing. Definitely not regretting this purchase!

Ok, let’s start right off and say this tea SMELLS DELICIOUS in bag and steeped. It’s seriously a cup of scent heaven. And happily, the scent doesn’t disappoint. This tea is very obviously meant to be sweet, but it comes off as a nice balance between spice, a hint of chocolate, and tea-ness that makes it a really great desert tea. I probably wouldn’t drink it at dinner time, but I can see this making a great tea time treat.

And unlike a lot of teas, it would be a great one for kids as well. Rooibos is caffeine free, and the rest has very little caffeine either, so in small quantities it would make a nice treat for the tea drinking kid in your life. The cinnamon and orange scent is lovely and dominates the in-bag smell, but the overall taste is the vanilla chai with a hint of chocolate and cloves.

It’s frackin cake in a glass, seriously.

I betting this tea tastes great with cream or sugar. Sadly, I am lactose intolerant and I hate sugar in my tea (yes, even honey). Next time I try it I’ll have to go out and get some more almond milk, though, because I’m betting that would just make it taste even richer.

This was just okay. I’m thinking that I don’t brew it correctly (though I’ve tried just about everything), because everyone else seems to love it. It is just really weak. I can just barely taste sweet cream and chocolate flavors, but just barely no matter how I brew it or how much I put in. It tastes a little better as a latte, but not by much.

Love love LOVE this tea. I first discovered Adagio as they were having their Sherlock sale, and fell in love with the idea of fandom blends. I noticed in reviews that Mycroft tasted like cake, and really couldn’t resist the purchase.

At first I was a little disappointed, as the cakey flavor wasn’t coming through much at all, and the chocolate was impossible to taste at all. Then I added a little bit of sweetener, and that made it perfect! Sugar really brings out all the flavors perfectly.

My friend and I both got teas from this Sherlock series, and I was surprised when HER selection, Mycroft, turned out to be hands-down my favorite tea of all time. (She ended up switching with me, kindhearted lass that she is!) This is my unexpected perfect tea—sometimes I just open up the bag and give it a whiff in passing, which speaks for how much I love it. It’s spicy and warm-feeling from the chai element, and the chocolate gives it a crazy body. There are whole bits of orange peel, and drinking a cup of this feels a bit like drinking citrus chocolates. Awesome plain, but better with cream and a bit of sugar to make it really desserty.