Black Herbal Rooibos Blend
Apple Pieces, Dried Cherries, Hibiscus Flowers, Honeybush, Lapsang Souchong, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Natural Wild Cherry Flavor, Rose Hips
Ash, Berries, Butter, Leather, Stonefruits, Tobacco, Vanilla, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

Incredibly seductive to any man (or woman): the scent of fresh cookies, hints of cherry, and just a whiff of smoke.

Inspired by BBC’s Sherlock, which I am in no way affiliated with. This is created purely for my own enjoyment.

Honeybush Vanilla, Dewy Cherry, Lapsang Souchong

created by cara mcgee

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

Last time I had this I was really sick, so I left it unrated in case my sense of taste way really off. I have to say though it tastes exactly the same, which is to say it takes nearly indescribable.

It’s odd because it’s smokey and savoury from the lapsang and then sweet from the vanilla/cherry. Ultimately, it’s really quite perfect as Irene Adler’s blend, though.

This smells like a ????. Perfect Irene. It smells interesting. Not good, not bad, just weird…hazelnut and honeybush and cherry and lapsang aren’t something I’d think to mix together. And steeped, it has that same perplexing aroma.

I suppose that’s accurate.

It’s actually really good. The honeybush and lapsang are sort of sweetly smoky, and the cherry gives a bit of a bright softness. Irene’s one of my favorite characters, and I’m glad I like this tea!

gmathis

There’s a whole series by Carole Nelson Douglas that features Irene as a detective, narrated by her loyal and always-shocked companion/chaperone. First one, I think, is “Good Night, Mr. Holmes.” Good cuddle-up-under-a-blankie reads.

Typically I don’t like smokey teas so when Roswell Strange snuck this into our swap I was simultaneously excited (because I love Sherlock and want all the Sherlock blends even though a bunch don’t sound like something I would like) and hesitant (because the whole package smelled smokey). However, I figured if Roswell Strange was generous enough to share, I should at least give the tea a fighting chance. Plus, what’s Irene Adler without her overt femininity and just a touch of smoke?

When I take the sip, first thing I taste is that smokiness but it is immediately followed by a sweet vanilla cherry. I actually don’t even mind the smokiness because I feel as though it really makes for a unique and complex tea. It truly is Irene Adler in a cup and honestly, it is really quite good. Thank you Roswell Strange for including this. You forced me to try something I wouldn’t normally and I ended up really enjoying it. I am quite glad I have more of this to enjoy :)

Roswell Strange

I know you’re not a fan of smokey or overtly rooibos – but I figured I’d gamble since I know you love Sherlock :P I was pleasantly surprised with this too. I tastes good, and also perfectly captures the character. And we both decided to drink it today :P

VariaTEA

Of course we did. Haha. I am glad you shared it. If it were not Sherlock inspired, I may not have tried it though (which is dumb but the truth).

Roswell Strange

Also, I’m happy because I don’t think you’ve had many misses from this most recent swap! Yay!

VariaTEA

Although, if you shared, I probably would have eventually tried it but I am guessing it would have taken a lot longer for me to get around to doing so.

VariaTEA

I think most teas have been a success. I think we have swapped so much, we are getting better at knowing what the other does/does not like.

“Brainy’s the new sexy.”

this tea is kindof similar to the 221Tea blend. which was very weird but at the same time totally enjoyable.

the cup has an edginess and wispy darkness about it that suits Mrs Adler very well. this blend is almost a balancing act between a clever and feminine flair (honeybush vanilla), a passionate and daring heart (dewy cherry), and a devious and calculating temper (lapsang souchong).

the problem is that this tea has less lapsang in it. but also has just as much hibiscus. it’s very low caffeine since it’s mostly honeybush so it was a good tea for late at night sipping. and the blend itself if very creative because i think anytime anyone is daring enough to add fruit flavors to a lapsang they get points. but i’m glad i’m splitting this sample tin with moraiwe so i get to try it but don’t have to slog through the ounces. (what a great plan we made! we are brilliant!)

“I don’t understand”
“Try to.”
“Why?”
“Because you cater to the whims of the pathetic and take your clothes off to make an impression. Stop boring me and think. It’s the new sexy.”

Roswell Strange

This one, imo, perfectly captures her character.

Shmiracles

i do LOVE that about a good blend. i can review the tea on two levels – is the tea tasty, and is the tea an accurate representation!?
and i agree with you! completely. (i’m even gonna update my note to elaborate)

Dustin

Bendict delivers his lines so fast that there is so much brilliance I miss while still lost of deciphering the last sentence! I need subtitles to keep up with that show.

How have I not done a review of this? I’ve had it at least 2 or 3 times. This was given to me in a swap by Michelle, so thanks again!

I really like this. I like that I can drink it in the afternoon without worrying about a whole lot of caffeine, just whatever the lapsang brings and based on the leaves there isn’t a whole lot. However, what little there is brings a lovely campfire smell to the tea with hints of cherry and a honey base. Yum. The tea looks light but has a solid feel. Cara picks these blends really well, all of the ones I’ve had of hers just have perfectly mingling flavors. They are hard to describe but it works wonderfully.

Tea: 2 heaping teaspoons
Water: 16 oz
Additives: None

Michelle

I love this one! I cannot wait until it comes back in stock :)

The way this tea smells in the bag is woody, with a lingering of sweetness. There is also a smokiness that reminds me of a fireplace or the way the air smells after firing a gun. The taste is incredibly unique. The first flavor I noticed was a slightly sour cherry taste that blended smoothly with the smoky, woody flavors I expected.

I think it perfectly captures this character… Maybe I should rewatch ‘A Scandal in Belgravia’

yay
i love my sherlock blends!!
and though i’ll probably never order irene, i’m super glad to know that it is an accurate and delicious tea she’s been given.
(the sherlock one is easily one of my favorites. and i’m also a lapsang fan.)

Andie

Why won’t your ever order this one? Which other Sherlock ones are good? None of them really jumped out at me (except for this one)

Shmiracles

well i like the Sherlock one (lapsang souchong, assam melody, oriental spice) A LOT A LOT. and my sister is a huge fan of the Watson (irish breakfast, cinnamon, earl grey green). I also have Reichenbach Recovery and The Mind & The Heart. and they are nice but i can’t really recall them now so lets say they don’t really make a lasting impression and leave it at that.
now that i look at it I probably would consider getting this Irene tea. because my absolutely favorite lapsang blend is Smaug also created by Cara McGee and it has lapsang souchong, candy cane, and ginger x2 in it. which sounds like it would never work but my goodness i’ll probably never meet another cup like it. a bold lapsang blend is very appealing to me.
i’ll add The Woman to my list to buy right now.

Shmiracles

(i just don’t like any versions of her character is all)

Andie

Haha not liking the character is a pretty good reason. Is the cinnamon in the Watson blend very strong? How about the oriental spice in Sherlock? Those are two things that I don’t really love in large amounts which is why I didn’t order them, but if they are subtle I may have to make another order lol.

I am not sold on this tea but it is a nice one to sit and think about for a while. The lapsong souchong is a bit strong, but I rather liked it when I had let it cool a bit much so maybe it mellows out a bit with ice.

Tonight I’m having The Woman… or is she having me? hmmm, either way I’m entirely satisfied. This is one I’ve had every once in a while, but every time it’s a great cup. No embellishments today, just that smokey, slightly cherry-vanilla. Her battle dress if you will.

Sad to see this go. I’ve put it on my list to repurchase. I find it different and interesting.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML