Green Pu-erh Blend
Leather
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

• “I tried this at a higher temp and longer steep time and really didn't care for it as much. For me, the perfect temp is somewhere between 200-180F at 3-4 min. The flavors are leather, nuts, smoke,...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 521 tasting notes
  • “okay so if you don't wanna ever have to consider or think about fictional characters having gay love moments then scroll away now!!! . . . . . . . . because i read a story once in which Greg knew...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 711 tasting notes
  • “Because Lestrade is my faaaaave. I needed some waking up to do and the last time I drank him, I couldn't sleep till 3 or 4 in the morning. It's noon right now so I'll be fiiineeee. I really like...” Read full tasting note
    jump62359 393 tasting notes
  • “This was one of my favorite blends from this Adagio fandom series. It has great sturdy flavor and stands up well to multiple brewings. It's smooth. I can't detect hazelnut as a separate note.” Read full tasting note
    drussell41 1 tasting notes

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

Smoky traces of gunpowder, aged leather, mellowed with a trace of hazelnut. A distinguished, if tired, blend.

Inspired by BBC’s Sherlock, which I am in no way affiliated with. This is created purely for my own enjoyment.

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

I tried this at a higher temp and longer steep time and really didn’t care for it as much. For me, the perfect temp is somewhere between 200-180F at 3-4 min.
The flavors are leather, nuts, smoke, and general manliness. This fits the character perfectly and I actually enjoy this on special occasions.

okay so if you don’t wanna ever have to consider or think about fictional characters having gay love moments then scroll away now!!!
because i read a story once in which Greg knew Sherlock when he was young and in college and kinda a mess with drugs. and Greg saved him from lots of law problems. Sherlock’s brilliance being obvious and even more blinding when compounded with youth. and Sherlock being anti-social and friendless even more alienating when compounded with youth. and in this story young Sherlock seduced the pained and haunted detective. making them kinda forever grateful and changed and connected through a familiar understanding of i knew you then when things were so ugly and we were islands.
we were islands.
and that is my Lestrade.

the new series has him with a strained warmth that more vintage versions of Sherlock Holmes don’t quite embody.
and i love modern Lestrade so so much.
also this tea does smell kinda like the idea of his well used car/leather shoes/stubbled face/old coffee cups.

it’s the rare and strained warmth of a sensitive BAMF.

jump62359

Duuude. Lestrade though. He was the first of the fandom blends that I bought and I kinda died when I finished the last of him last year!

Hello.Kiki

I’d have to agree with you. BBC Sherlock’s Lestrade is my favorite incarnation of the character.

Cavocorax

Oooooh, that’s an interesting match! I’m so used to thinking of Lestrade with that OTHER Holmes, (and boy, have I grown to like him too…)

Cavocorax

Also, you should start ALL your tsating notes witih warnings like that so I know which ones I need to hurry and scroll down to the best parts for!

Because Lestrade is my faaaaave.
I needed some waking up to do and the last time I drank him, I couldn’t sleep till 3 or 4 in the morning. It’s noon right now so I’ll be fiiineeee.
I really like Lestrade. Smoky and musky gooood.

Shmiracles

Oh this one does looks good! a little like the ninth doctor blend too. it’s going on my shopping list :)

This was one of my favorite blends from this Adagio fandom series. It has great sturdy flavor and stands up well to multiple brewings. It’s smooth. I can’t detect hazelnut as a separate note.

It smelled stronger than expected and appeared darker than expected. Again a mix of things I’d never tried before, I liked the second cup better. And as always, I added a bit of sugar to it to counteract the kind of smokey, nutty tastes. I may add a little milk next time too. Overall it’s not bad. Not good for my sweet tooth cravings, but good for just a strong tasting, “solid” tea.

This truly is a very manly tea— not to mention the perfect character tea for Greg Lestrade. Hazelnut and pu erh taste wonderful together, deliciously earthy and nutty, and gunpowder green tea rounds out the flavour nicely.

This is the manliest tea of all time. I brewed it way too long this time so I’ll halve the time next time, but with cream and sugar it’s still quite nice. Plain I felt like it was going to make me grow a beard, it was so manly! This tea makes me think of being out all day in the pouring rain, getting soaked to the bone, and then getting back to your log cabin, changing into soft, dry clothes and having a warm, strong cuppa to wake you up and warm you up. Incredibly comforting. Love love love.

I had some trouble with this because the smokiness was a bit much at first. But for some reason you come back for sip after sip and eventually you settle in to it. Once you do it is rather nice to be honest.

Revisiting this tea after a long hiatus… because I guess, being in the Sherlock fandom, that’s our division. I remember this being smokey and very manly. What I don’t remember is how strongly this tea smells of leather. So much so that all I can think of when I drink this is tacking up my ol’ quarter horse when I was a tween to go trail riding. If you had blindfolded me and then had me smell this cup, I would have told you it was recently used tack. Heavy and western.

After that I think it reminds me more of when Rupert Graves played Riddell in the “Dinosaurs on a Spaceship” episode of Doctor Who. Either way, it’s perfect as a character inspired brew, so mad props for that. I won’t be terribly sad when this goes though.

Flavors: Leather

Nattie

My partner and flatmate both love this tea! They can’t get behind ANY of my other teas, but this one they love. How can you love drinking leather?! I guess it’s just their division…

Hello.Kiki

Yeah it’s not my fav. The sampler set is fun though because of all the different teas, and to see/taste/smell how a fan translates characters into tea :)

Nattie

Yeah I do think the sampler is a good idea, and I think Cara’s done amazingly well with matching the teas to the characters – unfortunately, I never really watched Sherlock and thought ‘I bet Lestrade tastes amazing. I wish I could drink him…’ Haha

This tea is a very full tea. It’s got a great scent, a lot of flavor, and leaves you feeling like you’ve just had a meal. The gunpowder and the pu erh dante give this tea a really great smoky, rich flavor, while the hazelnut brings it down and lends it a homey scent and taste that makes it comforting as well. It’s very much a BAMF tea, but a BAMF that likes its muffins. I think it would lend itself well to whatever you wanted to try with it, be it honey, lemon, cream, sugar, whatever. But personally I think this makes a smashing cup without any frills.

The only downside, and this is pretty much exclusive to me, is that black tea tends to give me a stomach ache, and I can already tell that this is strong enough to cause some problems if I drank more than one cup in a couple hours. But if you’re not affected by such things, then no worries!