Black Green Blend
Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Shadowfall

• “If you're going to drink Amy...you really should drink her with Rory. This one might be my favourite of the blends so far, and not just 'cause rory makes me happy. I am a fan of the black/green...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4653 tasting notes
  • “I'm so in love with this tea. Nothing helps post-ER trip recovery like a cup of this blend. Rory is absolutely the best nurse possible. The tea is sweet and comforting, and smells absolutely...” Read full tasting note
    doctorriversong 1 tasting notes
  • “I enjoyed this cup, but honestly my tastebuds must be crap because I couldn't have identified any of the notes in this (sweet potatoes?) without the help. I mean I guess I kind of could tell, but...” Read full tasting note
    whatshesaid 489 tasting notes
  • “I actually made this a few night ago, but then I forgot about it and it got cold so I had to pour it out. But the sip I had just after brewing it was pretty good, so I figured I'd make it...” Read full tasting note
    Shadowfall 197 tasting notes

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

Sweet, Strong, and Resilient, Rory is the cuppa that wont quit.

Inspired by BBC’s Doctor Who, which I am in no way affiliated with. This is created purely for my own enjoyment.

ingredients:
irish breakfast, sweet potato, vanilla green
Note: Sweet Potato has been discontinued from Adagio site

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

If you’re going to drink Amy…you really should drink her with Rory. This one might be my favourite of the blends so far, and not just ’cause rory makes me happy. I am a fan of the black/green vanilla with just a hint of sweet potato. Yep…i can get behind this one.

Terri HarpLady

That one sounds similar to the Bilbo Brew I was so in love with, also conceived by Cara McGee.

I’m so in love with this tea. Nothing helps post-ER trip recovery like a cup of this blend. Rory is absolutely the best nurse possible. The tea is sweet and comforting, and smells absolutely delicious. In a way, it reminds me of sweet potatoes with marshmallows and brown sugar on Thanksgiving, but the sweet potato is definitely not too overpowering. This one’s a new favourite.

Elizabeth

You make this sounds utterly delicious. So excited to place my first order with Adagio, this sounds like a perfect blend to try.

I enjoyed this cup, but honestly my tastebuds must be crap because I couldn’t have identified any of the notes in this (sweet potatoes?) without the help.

I mean I guess I kind of could tell, but yeah. Unrefined.

Thanks for sending it along, Sil!
I did like drinking it!

I actually made this a few night ago, but then I forgot about it and it got cold so I had to pour it out. But the sip I had just after brewing it was pretty good, so I figured I’d make it again.
This has a nice vanilla scent with something heavier behind it. I’m guessing that’s the sweet potato? Not sure since I’ve never had another tea with sweet potato in it, so I can’t say for certain.
Taste wise it’s a bit blah straight. Adding a bit of Truvia makes the vanilla pop and mellows the irish breakfast. The sweet potato is just kinda there with a bit of cinnamon/spice and a fuller flavor. Not detracting, just adding to it. Definitely better with sugar added, for me at least.
The version I’m reviewing here is actually different than the one that’s currently on the Adagio website (and the updated info here). The newer version just has Irish Breakfast & Vanilla Green, while the version I have has Sweet Potato as well (which Adagio has since discontinued). I got one of the (also now discontinued) Doctor Who 10 tin sampler sets from one of the stores that had the original blend in it. I’ll probly one day get a sample of the new version to try, but I’m rather disappointed that I won’t be able to get this particular blend again because it’s actually really nice.
I’ll just have to enjoy the rest of the little tin I have. Lol.

Roswell Strange

Oh I didn’t know Adagio had discontinued their Sweet Potato tea. That’s really disappointing; I so desperately wanted to try it, and the main reason I liked Rory’s blend was because of the Sweet Potato. Boo.

Shadowfall

Yeah. It was back before Christmas I think. It’s kinda a bummer since there were some really great blends that included it (Bilbo’s Brew is the other one that comes to mind). According to some of the newer Adagio reviews, the blend doesn’t really suffer from not having the sweet potato in it, but until I try that myself, I can’t confirm that.

:| I was busy working when I drank this and I can’t remember how it was.
Poor Rory. Poor forgettable Rory.
(never! <3)

Sipdown (177/183)!

Final Doctor Who tea in my small round of Doctor Who inspired teas from different companies. I think it’d be very wrong to do a round of DW teas and not include an Adagio fan blend…

Perhaps interestingly though, I think this is the one Adagio fan blend that I may have been more interested in because of what’s in it as opposed to the character it’s inspired by. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I adore Rory! In fact, I think Rory is my favourite of Eleven’s companions. But I’ve been super fascinated by the idea of Sweet Potato Tea since first hearing about it, and I’ve been dying to get my hands on any Sweet Potato tea to try it – and this has Adagio’s SP blend in it so that’s where my attention was/is most focused.

Steeped up, this is really really interesting. It’s got such a unique flavour with components that I’d struggling a little to pick out. The most noticeable is the creamy vanilla and then I think I do taste the sweet potato. It’s a familiar sweet, starchy flavour and I think it compliments the vanilla really well. Reading other people’s reviews they compare it to sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallow and I believe I’ve also read similar comparisons on other Sweet Potato teas especially when tied into Thanksgiving. Is that an American thing? I’ve never heard of someone having that particular combination in Canada. It sounds weird to me, but good as well.

I wish I had more of this so I could play around: I think it’d be good with milk and I’m wondering if a pinch of salt would bring out the sweet potato more in the same way that salt brings out the potato flavourings in Butiki’s Potato Pancakes and Applesauce Green Blend (which I find I am now craving). I’m going to add this one back onto my wishlist because I think I would order it – and I’d definitely drink it again.

I want more Sweet Potato things! Thanks Sil for this sample!

EDIT: Oh, and yeah – I think this was a good blend for Rory. Seems to match to character, so go Cara!

Flavors: Sweet Potatoes, Vanilla

Mikumofu

I’ve only seen sweet potatoes with marshmallows a couple of times but it’s definitely very American (and very delicious!)

sherapop

Definitely an American holiday classic! Best results are obtained using mini marshmallows, which brown more evenly to produce a delectable crust. ;-)

This is a very warm and comforting cup of tea, and it has a nice hint of sweet potato pie in the flavor. I think it tastes best with a splash of milk and maybe a bit of sugar, depending on what I’m feeling for. Good for a cold winter’s evening!