Black Green Blend
Chestnut, Cinnamon
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

• “Ack. New format less iPad friendly. I'll update this after on the computer lol Slider bar with numbers is a good time :) well except for not liking iPad lol” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4939 tasting notes
  • “Best tea I've had in a while! The taste reminds me of pancakes with butter and maple syrup for some reason. It's sweet and nutty and earthy. I enjoyed it plain, but even more with sugar and milk.” Read full tasting note
    catekat 5 tasting notes
  • “New Doctor Who tonight!!! Celebrating by drinking DW teas today. I feel guilty not drinking tea from my TTB but, come on.... Doctor Who! I think I am over leafing this tea a little bit. In...” Read full tasting note
    carol who 300 tasting notes
  • “Sample sipdown! I actually really enjoyed this.... I've never eaten a chestnut before in my life but judging by this tea, which was really nutty and toasty and comforting and I'd probably enjoy...” Read full tasting note
    whatshesaid 502 tasting notes

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

A bit darker, more intense brew than the others, but still with a surprising amount of sweetness, considering the contents.

Inspired by characters from BBC’s Doctor Who. Created for my own enjoyment.

Ingredients: Gunpowder, Chestnut, Irish Breakfast

Creator: Cara McGee

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

Ack. New format less iPad friendly. I’ll update this after on the computer lol

Slider bar with numbers is a good time :) well except for not liking iPad lol

Starfevre

Oh damn, all of my traveling I do with an iPad and I’m frequently drinking tea…

TheTeaFairy

I didn,t have any problems using the ipad except for that darn slider bar!!! Just when I thought it was finally possible to rate with the number I wanted, lol! Well I will continue to try to get as close as possible cause I won’t be using the PC just for that…that’s for sure!

having trouble hitting the hearts to like things on the ipad and there are just too many slider bars now for ipad land.

AnnaEA

Yeah, slider is painful to use on my android. I’ll just go back and add them later via desktop.

Terri HarpLady

Haven’t tried it out on my iPad yet…guess I’ll see it later…

Best tea I’ve had in a while! The taste reminds me of pancakes with butter and maple syrup for some reason. It’s sweet and nutty and earthy. I enjoyed it plain, but even more with sugar and milk.

Shmiracles

i’ve been considering this tea for a while (cuz 9 is my doctor), but your short review and mention of pancakes has convinced me. sweet and earthy sounds perfect. yay!

New Doctor Who tonight!!! Celebrating by drinking DW teas today. I feel guilty not drinking tea from my TTB but, come on…. Doctor Who!

I think I am over leafing this tea a little bit. In looking at the directions on this page I see that they list 11 oz. which is pretty odd. It’s still good and chestnut-y but somewhat astringent. No one else mentioned astringency, so I think it’s me.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Ost

Yah! New DW! I kept forgetting. But excited!

Lariel of Lórien

Only four more hours! Is there a Twelve blend yet?

carol who

I know what you mean, Twelve. What will it be like?

Sample sipdown!

I actually really enjoyed this…. I’ve never eaten a chestnut before in my life but judging by this tea, which was really nutty and toasty and comforting and I’d probably enjoy them.

I didn’t even get the typical Adagio bitterness!

Thanks for sharing, Sil!

Soooo I got 2 samplers from Adagio before they pared down to 6 tins and I figure I’d better at least start trying them. Lol. So today I decided on the Doctor Who one, mainly because I’ve technically tried most of the teas in the ‘Tales & Tea Leaves’ set, so these are all new to me.
Nine is my fav doctor so it was only fitting that I tried his tea first.
Dry this had a sweet, roasty sort of smell, but nothing else really stood out to me.
Brewed I can kinda smell the anise, but again, it’s kinda just there. I ended up brewing it way below the recommended temp of boiling since I’ve found that most Adagio blacks turn almost undrinkable when steeped at boiling. And this one had gunpowder, which I didn’t want to burn either. So I gave this a shot a 195* because why not? XD
Everything kinda comes out in the taste. I get anise pretty strongly right off the bat. It reminds me of the sassafras that I get at the RenFaire, which is actually a shame because I don’t actually care for sassafras. Lol! I get a bitter note, but I’m kinda used to that because it happens so often with Adagio black tea blends. And I’m getting a light smokyness from the gunpowder. It’s also middling on the astringency scale. Not bad enough to make me want to pour the cup out, but enough there so I notice.
After adding some truvia, it didn’t get sweet persay, but the anise toned way down and let other flavors come up. I’m not sure if this is one I’d order a large amount of, but I’ll definitely finish the tin worth eventually.

This was a pretty sad (and unexpected) sipdown, for a couple of reasons. Firstly because this tea is It. It is definitively the best tea I have ever drank, and will ever drink. Secondly, and more importantly, because I had been saving the last cup for a while, and that time came when my partner was in need of a comfort drink. This is not going to be a particularly long tasting note, as I’m getting sad again just writing it and will properly review the tea another time (I have since bought a big bag full). A couple of weeks ago, when I first attempted to write this tasting note, we received the sad news that my partner’s cat Eddie was injured after being attacked. It was very sudden as we had seen him only a few days beforehand, and he was doing well. This was followed the next day by the news that he had had to be put down. My partner was devastated and I was pretty upset too, and so I used the last of this tea to drown his sorrows. It was an awful day and I am sorry to have to write this.

On a happier note, this tea is seriously delicious. Like, seriously. Cara is magic.

Sorry if I bummed anyone out, I’m kind of hoping nobody will read this as it’s an old tasting note.

R.I.P. Eddie

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

Well, I surely would have enjoyed this tea if I’d noticed that our milk had turned BEFORE pouring a bit of it into my mug. It’s meant to be good until tomorrow! Oh well. It still smells like a delicious tea, and I’ve got just a little left of my sample from the lovely Sil to save for a tiny cup on a rainy day. No sense crying over curdled milk.

Tomorrow I make the trek back up to Mancunia to FINALLY hand the keys over at my old place and it sure would be nice if eventually I got my deposit back, considering. Looking forward to a nostalgic meander about the city centre and probably having dinner at Wagamama and retiring to the Ramada where Gentleman and I first established our romantic intentions to one another. Ok, and finally stopping in at this tea place in the Northern Quarter that has a blend I’ve been eyeing for the better part of a year, heh. Of course. I mean, we’ve also established that the only specific places we definitely need to visit when we take a weekend in Paris are tea shops. nods

Cameron B.

I have established a similar travel plan for whenever it is I go to NYC. Boyfriend does not know this yet. Muahahaha…

mj

Cameron, this gives me ideas. Boyfriend is going to NYC with his family in July…I wonder if I can convince him to make some purchases while he’s there? Plots and schemes

Sami Kelsh

Do it. DO IT. It’s the best idea. One would be remiss not to take advantage of foreign tea shopping!

242! Maybe I can hit 200 by the end of the month? Probably safer to aim for 225 though as my one-cup samples will soon be gone!

Anyway this was a decent tea. It was all bam!chestnut with a bit of comforting cinnamon. This would be a great autumn tea actually, but it’s spring! (yay) Chestnut seems like a good choice – it’s not subtle. It’s just there, doing it’s thing, much like 9.

Man, 9 had some really good moments! Why did he also have to have so many farting pigpeople moments too? /shudders in embarassment/

Thanks Sil! -(if you keep commenting on all my posts you will be VERY BUSY)

Anna

Maybe she’ll be TOO BUSY FOR TEA.

carol who

OH NO! No time for tea!

Sami Kelsh

I looooooooooooooooooove chestnut so much.

And Nine, actually. I sort of forgot about him after not seeing his season in a few years, then went back to it in the fall for a pub quiz (my team came second, HECK YES) and that season’s really grown on me! It’s pretty camp at times (seriously the farting aliens, just NO) but it’s just so joyous :)

hahaha i might be able to keep it up. Work is full of production issues today, carried over from last night so no hope in getting real work done. Should have just stayed home.

Anna… uh. no. never.

This tasted very strongly of chestnut when I made it. It’s a warm, hearty tea and it’s delicious and perfect as a breakfast tea. I take it with a bit of milk to bring out the chestnut flavor and smooth it out a little, but if I really needed a pick-me-up I’d take it black.