Black Herbal Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

• “"I believe in Sherlock Holmes." if you haven’t seen the Sherlock short that takes place before season 3 begins, i recommend it. i mean, not mind blowing or anything, but lots of...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 750 tasting notes
  • “Backlog from yesterday: I seem to only make this one as a cold brew. This time I passed it off on to my fiance who likes iced tea. He said he liked it, though I definitely didn’t sweeten it...” Read full tasting note
    kiki 173 tasting notes
  • “The last of Friday’s teas. After two cups of chai, something light and refreshing was just the ticket! I used 1 tsp of leaf, and gave it 3.5 minutes in boiling water. No additions. I have to...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1173 tasting notes
  • “This is much better cold than hot, although it’s still.. weird. It’s grapefruit, kind of, with something weird in there that’s still fruity yet… I dunno. Tart in a way that...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1264 tasting notes

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

Bitter. So bitter. Some seem to be attracted to it though, for whatever reason. Also just a bit fruity. Best served cold.

blended with ceylon sonata, black tea, orange peels, rose hips, hibiscus flowers, natural grapefruit flavor, natural orange flavor, marigold flowers

teas: grapefruit, ceylon sonata, blood orange

steep at 212° for 3 mins
Inspired by BBC’s Sherlock, which I am in no way affiliated with. This is created purely for my own enjoyment.

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

“I believe in Sherlock Holmes.”

if you haven’t seen the Sherlock short that takes place before season 3 begins, i recommend it. i mean, not mind blowing or anything, but lots of feelings. and you get to see Anderson’s beard. it’s the short that made Philip Anderson more than just a one dimensional annoying loser.

so maybe like Anderson, this tea doesn’t seem very popular but i still kinda like it. it will be very easy for me to finish my half-tin sample quickly. so yum.

i like blood orange teas a lot cuz they are a great contrast and variety to the usual chocolate and cookie flavored type teas i tend to drink most.

hooray the beard-o weird-o!
i would totally drink a cup and let Anderson rattle his theories off to me.
and then i’d buy him lunch, cuz he IS , ya know, all unemployed now and stuff.

Sami Kelsh

I feel Anderson’s pain (unemployment bro-fist!) but also, it was nice to see him get a bit more development in series 3 beyond just sort of being a dude who a) doesn’t like Sherlock; and b) isn’t as smart as him, either. Now I just live in hope that Donovan gets more than a cameo in series 4 ;)

Backlog from yesterday: I seem to only make this one as a cold brew. This time I passed it off on to my fiance who likes iced tea. He said he liked it, though I definitely didn’t sweeten it as much as he’s used to. I don’t have too much of this left, so I think I might just use up what I have for another iced brew.

ETA: I’m brewing up some double strength to pour over ice, which I rarely do. Normally I cold brew. Fingers crossed I didn’t screw it up.

Iced 8 min or more 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I have to say that the flavour here is mainly ceylon. I’ve actually drank Adagio’s Ceylon Sonata plain a good few times before, so I know the taste pretty well. It’s quite a citrussy tea to begin with, but with this blend it’s hard to know where that ends and the grapefruit/blood orange begins. They’re fairly mild in any case, although it’s fair to say that I can taste the grapefruit more than the orange. It adds just a slightly sharp, bitter note to the overall cup.

If boring and bitter sum up Anderson, then this is a great fandom blend. I suppose he can be a little bitter, at times, although who wouldn’t be after what he’s experienced? Maybe sour is a better word, and that works too.

This one’s a good palate refresher, purely because it lacks a strong flavour punch. For the same reason, though, this isn’t a stand out blend to me. I’m going to follow the recommendation to try this one cold, and see if that improves matters any. I can only hope that it does!

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

This is much better cold than hot, although it’s still.. weird. It’s grapefruit, kind of, with something weird in there that’s still fruity yet… I dunno. Tart in a way that seems weird to me. It’s… tea tart? Hard to explain this one.

YES. I like this.

I had been craving a fruity iced tea all day, so around 11 this morning I put a few spoons of this in some iced water to cold brew. Warm, I couldn’t taste any of the fruity flavours in this and it just seemed like a decent enough black tea, so I wasn’t too hopeful for the results of my cold brew.

I am pleased to report, however, that the cold brew really lets the flavours shine, and I am really impressed with the results. Predominantly grapefruit with a suggestion of blood orange and the black tea base complement the citrus flavour, this is SO much better iced! This will be perfect for the summer, I can imagine it will be perfectly refreshing.

Iced 8 min or more 3 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML
Hello.Kiki

I drank most of my sample cold as well. Much better that way IMO.

Nattie

So much better!

Smelled great in the bag, tasted like nothing in the cup. To say this is dull is an understatement. Don’t get me wrong, you could argue that it has a nice light flavor. The bloodorange and grapefruit aren’t completely hidden. And it’s true, I’ve never been a huge fan of fruit teas or ceylon, so maybe I’m a little biased, but the let down between what I smelled and what I tasted was just too much.

I did so want to like it, but there’s honestly nothing that recommends this to me. It’s basically just tinted water. Boring.