Science of Destruction

Chai Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

Dark, smokey, and stronger than you could possibly imagine. Starts out sweet and rich, but will quickly burn you with heat. If there’s anything this tea is not, it’s dull.

Ingredients: Adagio’s gunpowder, chocolate chai, vanilla (blended with black tea, cinnamon bark, gunpowder, ginger root, natural vanilla flavor, cocoa nibs, natural chocolate flavor, natural cinnamon flavor).

Steep at 212° for 3 mins.

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

Interesting tea. I grabbed it because I’m becoming a huge fan of Cara McGee, and the ingredient list seemed compelling to me. Vanilla chocolate ginger chai with a gunpowder base? Okay, I’ll bite.

Really unique blend, and I understand now why the description reads “never dull”. Every sip is a bit different. Sometimes I get smoky chocolate, other times (like my last sip) I’m getting vanilla chai with granular ginger. The base is always present, it’s just the accents that differ.

Do I like it? It’s intriguing. It’s far from love, however I do appreciate the blend and complexity.

JustJames

=0\ hmmm.

MissB

I think I put some in your box that should have been there today. If I forgot it, I’ll add some to the new bag already started for you. :P

JustJames

new? what new? stop it!!!!!!

MissB

It’s just a given. Someone sends me some oolong or strawberry, and I plunk it off to the side for you.

1909 tasting notes

Oh, this is interesting.

It’s a cinnamon and ginger tea with some background stuff.

I prefer the blueberry Tardis tea, but this is pretty good. More of a chai, really.

Thanks MissB!

This is really good. I love the spices and chocolate in this. YES! It’s much sweeter and more enjoyable than I would have expected from Moriarty, but there is a little bit of ginger in there just to make it… interesting.

Don’t turn your back on this!

This was supposed to be a sipdown, but I did a silly thing. I was brewing up the last of my sample of this tea from MissB to share with a visiting friend, who asked me to pick out his tea for him. I had roughly 2.5 teaspoons left, so the plan was to brew 2 of that in my IngenuiTEA to make us a cup each, and then make a small cup with the remaining half a spoon to fill my travel mug up. I have to go into university as I have a lot of work to do which involves many late-night library sessions, and I thought one final big mug of this would be nice company.

BUT then I did the silly thing. When I’m making 2 cups worth in my IngenuiTEA, I often find that the first cup pours out really strong and the second pretty weak, due to the settling of the leaves in the pot. To counteract this, I’ll pour the cups back in so that they mix and then refill the cups right away. I usually do this over the sink, to avoid messy spillage, but today I was in a hurry so I thought what the heck, what harm can it do to pour it over the bench? There’ll maybe be a few drips to wipe up, so what. Only I wasn’t paying enough attention to what I was doing, and I ended up pouring the first cup back in while the IngenuiTEA was still sitting on top of the second cup. Of course, this meant that the mechanism which releases the tea was open, and the tea I poured in just came flooding straight back out, and ended up all over the bench and floor, including under the microwave D: so I ended up having a really tiny cup and saving the also tiny remaining leaf to make a final cup which I can properly concentrate on for my sipdown. Sigh.

Briefly, though, I am still loving Cara’s fandom blends. They are seriously inspired. This one is just like Moriarty – seemingly sweet and delicious at first, with a kick that isn’t discovered until he’s already got you hooked. I prefer this to the ‘Moriarty’ tea by Cara, as there’s a lot less ginger, but it’s definitely still present. I am very glad MissB was kind enough to include in in my mystery box, as it was a wishlist tea I didn’t have too much hope of trying, seeing as the UK Adagio store doesn’t stock it. (I seriously hate how limited it is compared to the US one). This tea actually reminds me a lot of the ‘Mycroft’ blend, which I love. Despite not containing any of the same teas, when combined their ingredients are very similar. Both start off with a chocolatey, sweet chai flavour which translates as spiced cake (I believe it’s meant to in the Mycroft blend). Only where Mycroft finishes with vanilla and cream notes which evoke frosting, Science of Destruction lures you in and then hits you at the end of the sip with a spicy ginger kick. Super yummy, and great for these cold winter nights. I wish I hadn’t wasted nearly a whole cup. ):

tl;dr – I temporarily disengaged my brain and poured tea everywhere, and I wish I hadn’t because this is tasty.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML