Black Herbal Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

• “I knew when i looked this tea up that the chances of me liking it were about 1/1,000,000,000, but hey, there was a chance... But, um, no, not at all. Lapsang Souchong and berries. Not for...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “so you KNOW i like lapsang blends. i just really like how there is this super distinct tea that you think is so strong and kinda overbearing that it'll only ever be a lapsang. and then you blend it...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 737 tasting notes
  • “Thanks *Shmiracles*! When I opened this one the aroma kind of reminded me of bacon. It has an interesting flavor. I actually kind of like it. It's fruity but has nice smokey notes. I'm not really...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 786 tasting notes

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

Pipe smoke, Mrs. Hudson’s Biscuits, and, yes, a bit of Jam spilled on the kitchen counter. Everything that makes 221b home for our favorite consultants.

ingredients & lore
blended with black tea, lapsang souchong, rose hips, hibiscus flowers, cranberries, natural almond flavor, natural forest berries flavor, blueberries

teas: lapsang souchong, almond, berry blast

accented with orange peels
Inspired by BBC’s Sherlock.

created by: Cara McGee

lapsang souchong
hand-made by farmer fang ai hua in wuyi, fujian
Black tea from the Fujian province of China. Lapsang Souchong tea has a famously smoky aroma and flavor. To create this, the finished tea is given some extra drying over smoking pine fire, imparting a sweet, clean smoky flavor to the tea. This tea sometimes gets a bad rep for being brashly smoky, but really fine examples aren’t like that at all. Adagio’s Lapsang Souchong is very approachable: clean and slightly cool smokiness in the aroma, like menthol. Sweet, refreshing smoky flavor, crisp and edgy. Golden-coppery color in the cup; the mark of a Lapsang that hasn’t been smoked to a jerky. Sweet pine flavor, lightly evaporating finish. It’s amazing all the dimensions of ‘smoky’ you can experience in one, very well made cup of tea.

almond
The tangy, bright and perfectly balanced flavors of Ceylon black tea is a great canvas for many flavor expressions. The very best Ceylons blend easily with flavors and other teas, giving them excellent depth and complexity. Take our Almond Black, for example. Touch of raw almond aroma, plush mouthfeel reminiscent of creamy marzipan, with nutty sweetness upfront and a balanced, clean astringency. A beautiful, well-blended flavor. Come see how lovely a simply dressed up cup of ‘plain black tea’ can be!

berry blast
A delicious blend of natural fruits and spices that brews up a mouthwatering cup of herbal tea. Entirely caffeine free, it holds a special appeal for kids and sweet-toothed adults. The flavor is all natural, emanating from black currants, cranberries, raspberries, elderberries, bilberries, hibiscus flowers and rose hip peels. Bold and slightly tart flavor, with a juicy clean finish. No sugar or other sweeteners added.

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

I knew when i looked this tea up that the chances of me liking it were about 1/1,000,000,000, but hey, there was a chance…

But, um, no, not at all. Lapsang Souchong and berries. Not for me.

Loved that I got to try it though, thanks Shmiracles!

so you KNOW i like lapsang blends. i just really like how there is this super distinct tea that you think is so strong and kinda overbearing that it’ll only ever be a lapsang. and then you blend it with other teas and it goes all kinds of other new places!
i like to be surprised by lapsangs.

smaug is still my number one lapsang blend i guess. and also the only tea i’ve ever rated on steepster hah. but this one is special as well.

when i smell it dry, unfortunately it KINDA smells like cough syrup. definitely the berry blastiness is to blame. this tea would probably benefit from trying different kinds of steeping. i used a slightly cooler temperature water and let it steep for only about 2ish min. i don’t remember the last cup being so rose hips and hibiscusy, but that is also the nature of blends sometimes. one scoop can turn out noticeably different than another.
(come to think of it, i might have found a good lapsang iced option. weird i know but i’ll try anything once.)

i might go so far as to make my own blend including the lapsang souchong & almond tea but removing the berry blast and replacing it with orange rinds? marmalade? I’m Brillaint! anyone know how to get in contact with Cara McGee asap??!?!? it’s urgent!

Shmiracles

i just totally messaged Cara. like a rude tea nerd.

Thanks Shmiracles! When I opened this one the aroma kind of reminded me of bacon. It has an interesting flavor. I actually kind of like it. It’s fruity but has nice smokey notes. I’m not really digging the hibiscus in this. I feel like it overpowers the berry. It’s good but I don’t think I’d order it. Thanks again! :)

Shmiracles

it’s a weird one isn’t it! but it has definitely grown on me.
i guess this is a good tea for when i’m feeling indecisive. smokey fruit is definitely not a craving i have often haha

KallieBoo!

Haha it is an interesting one. But I’m happy I tried it because it is so different.