Majestic King / Thorin

Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

2 Images

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

created by: Cara McGee
A slightly bitter blend with just an edge of smokey forge fires and sharp spices. Dark and alluring, this is a blend that turns surprisingly sweet and mellow when treated right.
blended with black tea, assam melody, pu erh dante, natural gingerbread flavor, ginger root, orange peels, cinnamon bark
teas: assam melody, pu erh dante, gingerbread
accented with cocoa nibs
steep at 212° for 3 mins
Tea inspired by and for all great adventurers.

pre Feb 2014 version info
ingredients & lore
blended with black tea, assam melody, pu erh dante, natural gingerbread flavor, orange peels, cinnamon bark, ginger root
teas: assam melody, pu erh dante, gingerbread
accented with cocoa nibs
Inspired by The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, which I am not affiliated with. Blend created for my own enjoyment.
created by: Cara McGee

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

oh thorin, all of your bravado, greed, and loud warrior spirit still can’t mask your warm and oversized heart. no matter how hard you try.

i bought this because i love thorin and the hobbit and also i’m on a puerh kick. so i felt like they made this tea just for me. or that basically i love thorin because he is like puerh?

also if you were paying attention you will know that i already love Richard Armitage. (http://steepster.com/shmiracles/posts/149839) and if you don’t love him after watching North and South then i can’t help you. oh swoon.

so analysis shows that in fandom blends
armitage is to puerh (guy, thorin),
as cumberbatch is to lapsang (sherlock, smaug),
as freeman is to irish breakfast (bilbo, watson)

this tea may be a blend of 3 teas but really it is a puerh with other hints thrown in. the puerh is the star of this tea show. it is soft and earthy and full of body. wet, earthy body. (hubba hubba)
the puerh dante tea is described on the site as “a clean, damp forest aroma, dried mushrooms, leather and earth. Some sweetness of figs or dates and a slight creamy flavor. Mellow and grounding.”
…. thank you universe, for always putting Armitage in leather.

grounding. such a beautiful and accurate word. for both thorin and this tea.

assam melody adds some pungence and maltiness and astringency to the cup. (if you wanna go there you can think “dwarf sweat”) agitation and short tempers. an edginess that is palpable.

the ginger and cinnamon and orange peel from the gingerbread tea is faint. it’s mostly overpowered by it’s company. but it’s absence would be immediately missed. it ads a touch of added warmth and sensitivity.
and like thorin’s bright blue eyes, when the orange peel pops out i pay attention.

and then lastly, the cocoa nibs add a small layer of darkness. deep and brooding. so subtle, but it is there. like the weight of thorin’s responsibility, and the difficult memories he still carries, that never seem to give him true rest. (until perhaps sometimes when bilbo the zen master is there.)

MissLena

I really like this review :D

Em

“if you don’t love him after watching North and South then i can’t help you. oh swoon.” Love it ;)

Shmiracles

this one is rated teen, so there shouldn’t be any awful suprises (ie no scarring mpreg) haha – http://archiveofourown.org/works/615212?view_full_work=true

I am the son and heir
of nothing in particular
You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am a dwarf king and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does

Shmiracles

(i apologize for that. it was the epitome ridiculous and i wouldn’t blame you for a second if you unfollowed me asap.) (otherwise rock on!)

The first of many adagio teas that Terriharplady was kind enough to send my way. I had terrible luck the first few times i tried adagio teas, which soured me against them. Since terri had a bunch in her cupboard i asked if she’d be kind enough to send me some in case there were SOME adagio blends out there that were nice enough for them to redeem themselves.

This one? It tastes pretty bland. I suspect i could have brewed it for a bit longer but i’m always wary of getting that bitter taste from adagio blacks. If i concentrate i can taste the puerh and the chocolate notes. But over all, it’s a fairly lackluster tea. Once again, happy to have the chance to try so many teas :)

Terri HarpLady

Agreed, I was also disappointed with this one. It sounded like it would be really interesting, & it didn’t deliver. I even tried doctoring it up with stevia, creamer, & that only made it worse. I guess everything can’t be awesome, right? But we can continue to hope!

Drew made a pot of this while we made breakfast & I drank a cup.
We made Paleo pancakes, coconut milk whipped cream, & berries.
This has been finals week for both of my sons, & they both had today off, so a fancy breakfast together was in order!
Honestly, I haven’t really been a fan of this blend. I’ve tried it plain, I’ve tried it sweet. Although I like the idea of it, & the ingredients all sound like they’d work, it’s not for me.
There is enough to make one more small pot, & I’ll probably try it that one more time, & then it will be gone.

Serenity

Mmm paleo pancakes: with almond flour? Or coconut flour…or…?

Terri HarpLady

Almond flour! I don’t really stomach coconut flour real well…
The recipe I use is http://www.elanaspantry.com/silver-dollar-pancakes/
Only I add a heaping tsp of cinnamon & grate in a little nutmeg. Also, Maple syrup instead of agave.
It’s the best gluten free pancake recipe I’ve found so far.
Occasionally I make them without the spices & maple & use it for sandwiches too :)

I sum this one up best as a burley man tea. It’s definitely reminiscent of Thorin, but not the tea for me. Thanks anyway Shmiracles!

Shmiracles

perhaps it’s like drinking beards!
ah perfection a dwarf can appreciate.

Shelley_Lorraine

are you a dwarf?

2037 tasting notes

So I bought Cara’s Tea for Travelers sampler!

It’s my first Adagio sampler, although I’ve tried all of the Harry Potter and Firefly blends in their respective samplers, and sampled a few odd ones from other samplers. I have to say, the tins are precious and adorable and once they’re empty I look forward to finding stuff to keep in them. Although, I have to say they were pretty packed – almost to a point where I’m unhappy because when I opened a few of them it was impossible to not spill the leaf despite how careful I was trying to be.

I’ve decided I want to try at least one cold brew and straight cup for all the blends, and then go from there and fiddle around with things – and I started with the “Majestic King” (aka Thorin) as a cold brew. I ended up straining this one, and then drinking it on my day out with my Aunt and Grandma yesterday when they came to visit. We stopped at my store because my Grandma wanted to see where I work, and then we went back to my Aunt’s house in the city where we just watched daytime talk shows like Dr. Phil and Ellen and had a nice sit down meal. So it was a relaxed, casual day.

Taste wise; I don’t know how I feel about this. I mean to be fair, there are a lot of ingredients in it that I’m not huge on such as the ginger but even still there was something sorta weird and off about it. There was this very oily/slimey taste present throughout the whole thermos and immediately my mind went to the Pu’Erh in the blend because of the whole “fish” comparison, but it could possibly have bee from something else. I did taste the ginger fairly clearly, and recognized Adagio’s black base – other things like the cinnamon or orange were much, much more subtle and hard to pick out.

For now I wont rate until I’ve tried this hot; partly because I know I have some bias towards the ingredients, and partly because of the weird slimeyness that I’m not one hundred percent sure was from the tea; it’s possible something else like my teaware was causing it (though I am pretty confidant everything was properly washed).

As for character accuracy; I can definitely see the intentions behind what went into the blend and for the most part I think they were well thought out; I don’t know how well I think the oranges mesh with everything else though and I’d have liked to see something sweeter in here (vanilla, perhaps) to sort of emphasize how Thorin’s attitude develops in regard to other characters, like Bilbo. Oh well.

VariaTEA

Dude, I had the same problem with the tins. How do they get all the tea in there without it going everywhere when they close it?!?!