Black Rooibos Blend
Bitter, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Shmiracles

• “I probably shouldn't have steeped this the same time as Mycroft as they have similar ingredients. I was worried I'd mix them up but the almonds in this gave it away. I can taste the...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Hello Captain! You know? I'm ok with this one. I think i've figured out that the adagio ceylon is NOT my preferred black base, but it's not terrible in this one. Yes there's a rooibos presence,...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5357 tasting notes
  • “"What are you captain of? The Innuendo Squad?" idk what the descriptor is talking about, this tea is rooibos heavy (at least the sample i got is) so i don't think it would keep me "up all...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 744 tasting notes
  • “I didn't really care for this one. Had a very strong marzipan-y smell out of the bag and it brewed up the same. Almond was overpowering to me and I couldn't smell or taste much else.” Read full tasting note
    Shadowfall 223 tasting notes

From Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee

created by: Cara McGee
A smooth, timeless blend guaranteed to charm anyone off their feet. You can take it to bed, but it will probably keep you up all night.

- teas: ceylon sonata, rooibos almond, chocolate chip
- blended with ceylon sonata, rooibos tea, black tea, natural almond flavor, natural chocolate flavor, dark chocolate chips, cocoa nibs

About Custom-Adagio Teas, Cara McGee View company

I probably shouldn’t have steeped this the same time as Mycroft as they have similar ingredients. I was worried I’d mix them up but the almonds in this gave it away.

I can taste the almond/marzipan goodness over a basic black base. Some people don’t like Adagio’s black bases, but I find that if I steep it for 2.5 minutes at slightly less than boiling, they taste quite nice.

I can take or leave this tea. Sadly, the same can be said for the namesake character too. He had some good moments in Doctor Who, but not enough to get me to try Torchwood.

Thanks for the sample Shadowfall

Awe…I like touchwood. Also, how else will you know more about the face of bo grin

*toRchwood. Stupid phone

Shadowfall

Lol. No problem. Sounds like you like it, at least better than I did. I couldn’t get past the almond. Ugh. XD

Awww, poor Jack. I love his character. I just don’t agree that this tea is his, so to speak. I really need to put together the blend I made up for him. XD Torchwood is pretty good. One of these days I’ll get around to finishing the first season. Lol!

Terri HarpLady

I’ve watched a few episodes of Torchwood, but it takes a lot to get me to sit down in front of a tv for any length of time. One of these days I’ll do an all weekend marathon & watch all episodes back to back. That’s usually my method.

Cavocorax

Well maybe someday I’ll check out Torchwood but I don’t get much tv time alone so maybe I’ll try it after I get through Downton Abbey!

I know people really adore Jack, and I liked the Face of Bo thing, but I just didin’t get the appeal I guess. But then a few episodes as a side-character might not be the best introduction.

Terri HarpLady

Yeah, I loved the whole face of bo thing too! I loved captain Jack on the Dr, but I’m not always a fan of ‘spin offs’, and also, I was just getting into Dresden Files (which admittedly started out a little lame, like so many scifi channel series do, but having read the books, I had to watch it, & I thought it was just getting good). We watched the entire first season on Netflix, then they cancelled it. Initially I thought they had replaced it with Torchwood, so I wouldn’t watch it in protest. Later I realized they had actually replaced it with Warehouse 13, which I had also watched. Oh well…so much for holding a grudge, :\

oh man. i watched ONE episode of dresden files and swoer never again since it was so unlike the books and i hated the guy playing harry. they ruined it for me because i ADORE the books.

Terri HarpLady

The books are great! The guy playing Harry actually grew on me by the end of that first season, but the guy I REALLY loved was Bob! LOL!

JennyFur

Jack is my favorite. Right up there next to River Song. I can understand why he’s an aquired taste. Between the character himself being a little over the top, and the actor playing that up, it could be grating.

Hello Captain! You know? I’m ok with this one. I think i’ve figured out that the adagio ceylon is NOT my preferred black base, but it’s not terrible in this one. Yes there’s a rooibos presence, but it’s not dominating. I do get the almond flavour, though it’s pretty subtle. There’s a hint of the chocolate…i guess? i think? but it’s not very strong. Do i like this tea? it’s alright…but it’s NOT captain Jack to me…and it’s not quite what it claims to be.. :)

Roswell Strange

Not sure about the tea version, but I do you me some Captain Jack ;) He can say ‘hello’ to me anytime.

**do love me

yeah…it’s weird though when Barrowman has appearances on “Arrow”..my head always goes whaaaaaaaa

“What are you captain of? The Innuendo Squad?”

idk what the descriptor is talking about, this tea is rooibos heavy (at least the sample i got is) so i don’t think it would keep me “up all night”. ..unless john barrowman served it to me personally i suppose??
har har
this IS a nice tea. i can taste the almond and the light chocolate hints.
thumbs-up!

in related news
someone made this.
and then i watched it.
oh internet.

Single Ladies – John Barrowman

thanks Shadowfall!

Lindsey

That video completely made my day!

CHAroma

Hahaha! I like how they offset the clip used for backup dancers by a few frames to make them feel like separate entities. Very clever!

I didn’t really care for this one. Had a very strong marzipan-y smell out of the bag and it brewed up the same. Almond was overpowering to me and I couldn’t smell or taste much else.

Shmiracles

i would love to try this one. maybe we could do a tiny swap when i get back from vacation in a few weeks? you can browse my cupboard if i have something you wanna try? no pressure. just a possibility :)

The fourth and final Dr. Who-themed tea for tonight (my bladder just can’t take any more). The aroma is fairly chocolatey, which is quite present in the flavour as well. I can also taste the distinct flavour of rooibos, though it’s not the objectionable medicinal flavour, just that characteristic woody/herbal-ness, which is bearable. This tea actually tastes much like a chocolate rooibos I’ve had previously… I’m thinking the one from the Amoda box, but I could be wrong (I could probably confirm that if I was less lazy, because I know I still have that one around). It has a bit more body to it though (probably the black). What’s odd is that the chocolate comes through as almost bitter – I’m probably influenced by noticing the documented flavours before pulling up the review screen, but it’s certainly not the milk chocolate flavour that most teas seem to aim for. It’s not unpleasant, though.

Upon looking up the tea ingredients – I think almond might account for that flavour that’s coming off as bitterness to me, and there’s surprisingly not much chocolate in here given the number of chocolate-related ingredients. Ah well. Not overly enamoured by this blend, but it’s not bad. I’m pretty sure I’d enjoy it more sans rooibos. Thanks Sil!

Ugh, I’m so behind on my notes. Stayed at a cousin’s cottage over the weekend, brought a bunch of tea with me that I wanted to sipdown so I guess I made a little bit of progress, though I logged nothing.

This was from Friday.
I don’t get why the blender felt the need to mix rooibos with black tea for a bunch of these Dr Who teas, but luckily the black tea made me not really taste the rooibos.

This one was not overly impressive. Weak base with hints of chocolate and almond.
I was not a huge Captain Jack fan anyway but I don’t know that this tea would remind me of him. I haven’t yet been really impressed with an Adagio tea.

Sipdown achieved!

Thanks for sharing, Sil!

Sipdown (162/168)!

Many, many thank to Sil for the sample of this! It’s been on my wishlist for months now and I was beginning to think I wouldn’t ever get to try it without blindly buying the full 3 oz. of it. Jack is one of my favourite companions, and actually just one of my favourite characters in general on Doctor Who so I really wanted to try this blend for that reason. Still, 3 oz. is a lot…

I’m very glad I waited though and didn’t get impatient, because it turns out that as much as I love Jack 3 oz. of this would have been 3 oz. too much. I kinda didn’t like it. Well, no – I really didn’t like it. At first it was this light nutty chocolate thing but every sip was concluded with a nasty, harsh bitterness! That’s not like Jack at all – and just gross in general. Jack is supposed to be charming and seductive, and just a touch quirky. Not bitter and blah…

So, one Adagio blend I can cross off the list! So glad I experienced it so thanks a million to Sil for that – but just not for me. Wah wah wah.

Flavors: Bitter, Chocolate

JennyFur

Theres a different Jack that I have…by a different blender and its really good. Let me see if I can link.

That one. Delicious. Looks like its out of commission right now. But just keep an eye out because goodness its yummy.

Good to know!

Hmmm this tea. It’s actually pretty decent? It is a bit bitter, to my taste, but not too bad?
The flavours actually work for me! It’s not like super astringent, not overpowering with one tea to the other, and it makes a nice Captain Jack :) Though, I do get a really weird aftertaste…

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 15 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML
awoogah

Ahh incredibly glad the after taste issue wasn’t just me haha

This is basically a backlog from 3 hours ago because I brewed up a cup of this whilst working on an English analysis paper and I got so into it that I finished my tea (and my paper!) and completely forgot to log it oops.

Hmm, I don’t think i’m too into this one.

The dry leaves themselves smelled quite rich in the packaging (which, might I add is completely and incredibly adorable tea sampler packaging from the fabulous jump62359 as demonstrated here: http://tmblr.co/ZbP73w1EVjTPC) (oh hello more brackets after a bracket. Can you do that? I don’t think so but HEY. Just wanted to throw it out there that many of these logs are just going to be me going through samples at the moment because i’m trying to find some new teas i’m into!) and I was actually excited for what I though was going to be a perfectly balanced tea. Sadly, I was a little disappointed as I felt like the marzipan-esque flavour really overpowered everything else in the tea for me. (I almost feel as if this is an accurate representation of Jack’s character anyways because haha the man is definitely unique and quite dominant and forward in everything he does) I did manage to get a taste of some almond, though no chocolate sadly :( I might try brewing it again with less time, I don’t know. It definitely wasn’t horrible but I just don’t think it would be something I personally would buy for myself mainly because I didn’t enjoy the strong aftertaste.

Sidenote: I’m going to a Bombay Bicycle Club concert on Saturday night! And I’m so completely excited. One of my friends bought me a ticket as an early birthday present and can I just say that shes fabulous? Also school is kind of calming down now which is nice. AND PACKAGES! I got Kyra’s package of teas (!!!!!!!!!!!) in the mail, and I was worried because she hadn’t received mine BUT SHE JUST GOT IT YESTERDAY AND THAT MAKES ME VERY HAPPY. I totally have a butt ton of more stuff to send your way Kyra so just be prepared xox

Cavocorax

That’s too many brackets!!!! I can’t handle the insanity!!! /0\
Ahahahahah. I’m laughing so hard. Also that looks like an awesome swap.

jump62359

Shh I actually haven’t tried this tea yet haha. But he smells lovely, I just never have the mood for all the almond? Ahh well, I’ll have the craving soon enough :)
AND I SEE THE THING IN THE FLKYRA TAG. I still need to reblog it and it needs to be done at the right time so people can actually see it :))
And I’m thinking up of stuff for a wee birthday present for you but what? What can I get you that is tough for you to get? I DON’T EVEN KNOW.

awoogah

I think I definitely have a bracket addiction haha (oops) (see there I go again!)

And yeah Kyra, he smells so good! Definitely going to keep an eye out for your review on it ;)

I’m sat in bed in my beautiful new home, watching Celebrity Masterchef and drinking a soothing cup of this before bedtime. It’s still a fairly understated brew to my palette, but warm and cozy and certainly pleasant with its notes of chocolate and almond. And the fact that it doesn’t taste overly of rooibos. I’ve still got about a million money woes, but I feel like I can finally rest a bit. My new digs have a gorgeous kitchen, an augur, a piano, and a pond. And my bedroom has this crazy little window seat balcony doodah. It’s good. I just have to remember that the ensuite bathroom door faces directly opposite the window, which faces opposite lots of other people’s houses, so I really ought to remember to close the curtains before getting into the shower in the morning, lest loads of my neighbours see me in all my glory! I shouldn’t like to be responsible for blinding half of the people in my postcode :p

Though I like to think Captain Jack would approve.

mj

So jealous of your “window seat balcony doodah” :-)

carol who

Okay, so I’m dumb… what’s an augur? A person telling the future? And how do you get one?

TheTeaFairy

New home sounds fabulous :-)

Sami Kelsh

The window seat balcony doodah is SO cool and also makes me a bit nervous that if I gained even an extra pound in weight it would collapse and I’d fall out into the garden.

And it’s a weird, beautiful old skool cooker, Carol Who, and I’m probably spelling it wrong, but that’s what it sounds like to me. I could just google it. I am a poop.

Angrboda

Do you mean Aga?

Sami Kelsh

THAT’S THE NAME OF THE THING. Apparently even though the name’s on the thing, none of us here in the house knew how to spell it. GENIUS.

Angrboda

They’re not uncommon in the UK. I’ve seen ‘Aga kitchen’ quite frequently when reading house sales ads. :) (Not going to buy anything in the UK, but I just like reading the ads for some reason. I like seeing the pictures. If I see a house near where I live that is for sale I always look it up online to see pictures. How else would I find out how that house looks on the inside?