Bubble Tea

Sweet, Taro Root
Edit tea info Last updated by MegWesley

• “I splurged today and got a bubble tea from the mall when my fiance and I went. They had taro flavor and I had to try it. I am so glad I did! It was so delicious and I might have to get it again in...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 550 tasting notes
  • “Since this is already here I shall use it for my magical tea. From Sweet Hut: Jasmine Milk Green Tea with Honey Boba and Lychee Jelly. I’ve created quite a floral drink! Normally I...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1220 tasting notes
  • “Oh god, my mom and I took one for the team and ordered a durian bubble tea. It was $6 since it had real, fresh fruit in there, but we figured it would be the best way to try durian. Who here has...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1482 tasting notes
  • “This morning I had coffee, and there’s not really any place to brew tea in the area I work (no really, it’s a 5 minute walk to the filtered water and nice kettle), so I went for bubble...” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 2194 tasting notes

From Custom

A place for bubble tea to gather. Feel free to use this for any generic bubble tea that you don’t know what tea was used for it or how it might have been made.

About Custom View company

I splurged today and got a bubble tea from the mall when my fiance and I went. They had taro flavor and I had to try it. I am so glad I did! It was so delicious and I might have to get it again in a month or so. I’m not quite sure how to describe it and the only thing that I can come up with is bubble gum but not as sweet and not as gummy. It was really good though and I now know why that flavor is popular. Yum!

Emilie

I’ve had actual taro before, and wasn’t a fan, but your review really makes me want to try taro flavored things!

MegWesley

It was really delicious. They used a taro bubble tea powder so you might be able to find it online somewhere.

momo

If you can find taro frozen yogurt somewhere, try that! That’s my favorite way to have taro flavored things.

Indigobloom

taro always reminded me of oreo cookies! sooooo good

Since this is already here I shall use it for my magical tea.

From Sweet Hut: Jasmine Milk Green Tea with Honey Boba and Lychee Jelly.

I’ve created quite a floral drink! Normally I don’t stray from a coconut milk black tea but someone told me to try this one…I think. All I remembered was milk green tea and jelly. Well they have 3298752 jellies. I figured lychee would best match, and it does.

So good. Taking away all the problems I had driving home. Everyone sits in this left lane even though the right lane continues to exist for a good third of a mile. So I go in it if nobody else is there. Well the person first in the left lane, who has been slow the entire way accelerating after red lights decides they’re going to try to block me. Hilarious. I’m in a little car, they’re in an SUV…so guess who can go faster. And surprise, after I got over they were nowhere even near me. I really wanted to give them a Hot Fuzz “jog on” gesture :(

KeenTeaThyme

I “love” those people. I saw a great bumper sticker – “if I passed you in the right lane, you’re in the wrong one.” My bumper sticker idea is “Left Lane Squatters are dicks.” ;) Tea is GREAT as a stress reliever!

momo

The other day I used a straight up turn lane to pass someone. They live in my apartment complex LOL I still feel kind of bad but they were trying to purposely go slow because I turned right behind them. Not my fault, we’re blocking half of a main thoroughfare to turn right so TURN already!

LiberTEAS

I do love bubble tea. I haven’t had it in a long while, though. I usually grab one when I’m at the mall, but I haven’t been there in quite some time either!

Terri HarpLady

@Keen, I love that! Of course, I’m in kind of catty mood…

Who here has tried durian before, and what does it taste like to you?

I’m telling you, this bubble tea tasted like a freaking onion milkshake. I’ll admit, I wimped out after a couple sips and refused to consume anymore calories worth of liquified creamy onions. Blech.

FWIW, the other day, I got an avocado (and strawberry) fresh fruit bubble tea the other day, for the first time, and it was awesome. I can see why avocado is very popular in bubble tea. It was so rich and creamy, like strawberries ‘n’ cream.

EDIT: OMG! The creamy onion bubble tea makes me think of The Rutles’ Cheese and Onions (for all you Beatles and/or Monty Python fans). It all makes sense now:

Fay

Mmm…creamy onions. Exactly what I’ve been looking for in a tea.

Fjellrev

For real. French Onion Dip tea.

Plunkybug

I heard this song recently. Ha ha.

sren

Oh dear, not sure I want to try durian now. That sounds unpleasant.

Roswell Strange

I’ve heard that Durian tastes like how rotting corpses smell; haven’t come across the chance to try it myself though :P

Durian SMELLS awful but tastes delicious.

Fjellrev

You’d like it would taste like how it smells since that’s how many foods work. SO GLAD I don’t get rotting corpses, though!

Sil, what exactly does it taste like to you, though? I’ve heard people who like it describe it as custard. But I simply get strong onions, both in taste and smell.

it was like custard to me as well..mind you this was a LONG time ago…my vivid memories are mostly of me smelling it and being..oh hells NO…i am NOT putting that in my mouth iif it smells like that… but then i did :)

Fjellrev

All the power to you! Maybe there are different species of durian which vary in flavour and scent, anyway.

there are for sure different varieties that taste different

Lynne-tea

I really like durian! It tastes like vanilla creamy custard ice cream to me.
My boyfriend said it smells like vomit but also sometimes smells like the custard that I taste. Weird.

Plunkybug

Weird. It’s the blue and black/white and gold dress of bubble tea tastes. I have never heard of durian before. I’m intrigued. Will I get custard or rotting corpses if I eat it? :P

Jillian

I’ve tried durian-flavoured gelato before – and it tasted like burnt onions mixed with old socks. It took me all day to get the taste out of my mouth. DX

Fjellrev

Ok cool, so another point goes to onions haha.

Lynne, glad you can pick up on the custard at least!

This morning I had coffee, and there’s not really any place to brew tea in the area I work (no really, it’s a 5 minute walk to the filtered water and nice kettle), so I went for bubble tea.

Lemon “red” tea with lemon jelly.

Yummers. I usually get stuff 1/2 sweet when I get jelly or tapioca, as the additives tend to be rather sweet. I didn’t, but it’s still good. Super strong tea, fresh lemon juice, chewy lemon jelly, yay!

I need to find a recipe for the flavoured jellies so I can make them and add them to my iced teas at home. So good.

JustJames

i LOVE bubble tea…. tapioca balls included. everybody thinks i’m nuts. who doesn’t like a beverage that’s also a meal???

OMGsrsly

That’s the other reason I went and got it yesterday! It’s a lot of sugar, but I was hungry and needed caffeine. :) The fun part is I was making agarose gels in the lab, and I was eating agar jellies whenever I stepped out. Whee!

Went to this really cute tea place/cafe near my house today with my little sister!

I’ve been meaning to go since moving into the condo ‘cause it’s so close but I’ve just never quite had the time. It’s all Asian style and, of course, they specialize in bubble teas and milk teas. She grabbed a honeydew flavoured black tea with pearls/boba and I grabbed a taro milk tea with pearls/boba.

Mine was delicious! I’ve wanted to try taro flavoured bubble tea for such a long time because it is a more traditional flavour and I’ve just never really done it. I’ve had taro before in its regular form: we made them once at Sobeys to sample in the store. They basically cooked ‘em like potatoes and they were pretty good. Kind of sweet and very starchy? I expected the taro tea to be more purple, taro is awfully purple after all and every time I’ve seen taro bubble tea it’s been quite a creamy but dark purple. Mine was mostly a milky colour with a slight purple hue.

The taste was good: hard to describe other than just saying that ‘it tasted like taro’. I mean, I guess breaking it down that’s like saying it was kind of starchy/potato like with a nice natural sweetness and a bit of a nuttyness as well. In addition to the subtle, sweet umami profile there was the creaminess of the milk as well. Very yummy and refreshing, and not at all an overwhelming profile. I definitely understand why this is a traditional flavour!

EDIT: For Regina tea friends, the place was called SweeTea Cafe and it’s down in the East End. The service was quite nice too; the staffer was very helpful/friendly.

Fjellrev

Mmm, taro bubble tea. Good choice.

Plunkybug

Taro is always a good choice!

I found a decent bubble tea place fairly close to me in Boston! Or maybe I’ve just been here so long that my standards have just lowered. Anyway, I got a roasted oolong milk tea that was pretty good. I also picked up a pitcher and some paper tea filters for more cold brewing. All in all, a pretty good afternoon!