Figue Fraîche

Edit tea info Last updated by Ysaurella

• “Sweet, juicy, fruity tea. Thanks so much, *MissB*! I've really enjoyed this one, but I'm not sure I'd ever pick any up. It's just not a flavour I think I'd reach for a lot. But you never know....” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1420 tasting notes
  • “This was a ZOMG diamond prize in the awesome swap box Dexter3657 sent me--I've been DYING to try it; it's the tea from Dammann that was the main motivation every time I'd go through the hoops of...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes
  • “This is a juicy fig tea for sure! Thank you *Dexter3657* for sharing this tasty cup. I don't know how often I would reach for it just because fig is not a flavor I think about. However, when I do...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1877 tasting notes
  • “The dry leaf of Figue Fraîche strongly smells like dry fig to me. It is very pleasant.It smells really like summer, Mediterranean countries. 4 minutes steeping later, I get the classic medium...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 339 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

A blend of Ceylon & China teas with oriental fig. Time of infusion : 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

Thank you Doulton – I am so grateful to be able to taste this Dammann Frères tea!

This tea smells amazing. This is THE ULTIMATE fig tea! The best fig tea that I’ve tasted thus far (I haven’t tried a lot … but this one is awesome!)

The black tea base is smooth and unassuming. There is a baked character to the tea that works well with the fig flavor, which is rich and sweet and delicious.

YUM! I love this tea!

TeaEqualsBliss

WOW! This sounds neat!

Ysaurella

Hi LiberTEAS would you still say today this tea is the best fig tea you ever had ?
I have a choice to do between all the Dammann teas I’d like to get and you may help me if 2 years after your review you answer yes to my question.

LiberTEAS

I haven’t had this tea in a couple of years, (Unfortunately, Dammann teas aren’t as readily available here in the states), but I’ve had a couple of fig teas since this time, and I do think that this one is still the best fig tea that I’ve tried.

Ysaurella

thank you LiberTEAS, so for sure I’ll buy it tomorrow as I am going at their main shop.

Thanks for sharing VariaTEA and Dexter3657!

This smells like figs, wow. But that scent for some reason reminds me of baby food. Maybe slightly flowery figs, but only slightly.

This really does taste like figs. I’m not sure I’m fond enough of them to enjoy this tea, but I do so love when a tea is bang on it’s name.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 15 OZ / 443 ML
VariaTEA

Another from Dexter3657 and I felt the same way (minus the baby food smell)

Dexter

It makes me happy that this tea is getting passed along. I understand that neither of you liked it, but the more people that get to try it the better. Now you don’t have to wonder about it, or waste money on it.

Courtney

Thanks Dexter! It’s true. It’s not that it was bad, in fact it was a well-done tea, just the flavour wasn’t for me.

Similar to figs, this is flavored with a lightly sweet, mild flavor. This tea is very pleasant. Not much more to say though….

Doulton mentioned this was similar to fig newtons…but my own experience w/fig newtons are those Italian fig cookies flavored w/anise. And of course, this tea is not similar to those cookies at all…

malomorgen

figs in tea sound interesting…

Lori

Really, it was just more of a “sweet” flavor than anything distinct…

The dry tea smells bake-y and figgy and very much like a Fig Newton. The steeped tea is a medium black with a flowery figgy flavor. The aftertaste is very pleasant. It is like a fig-infused flower—but I cannot id the flowery taste precisely. Midway through the cup I added some milk and a little bit of sugar and that really did not change my opinion. The milk did not diminish the flavor. I am glad that I have this and will wait to judge it again when I feel more emotionally grounded.

5 minutes later: there is a very satisfying and rich aftertaste lingering on my palate. It must be this tea; my breath alone does not smell so sweet!

LATER: This tea stands up very well; I am enjoying it right now and revising its grade upwards. Since I wrote my original note I have been revising some tea grades based on those which I will NEED to buy again when my original stock is low. There are a lot of French teas which are very amiable but somewhat “same-ish”. This one has got a unique thing going with its strong fig taste. I prefer it with milk and a touch of sugar for full luxury.

1931 tasting notes

Speaking of simple teas that do one flavor and do it well, next we have this tea. I’m in love with many of DF’s fig-based teas, and this one is no exception. I love that it’s nice and figgy, smooth, well-balanced base tea, not too much going on. It would probably be fabulous iced but it’s also one of those teas that I don’t necessarily want to use it up that fast! But perhaps I will try it at some point. I would certainly consider keeping this tea around despite the fact I have many other figgy DF teas in my cupboard already!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
gmathis

I really need to try some figgy tea…makes me smack my lips every time I read a review!

I don’t think fig is my favorite flavor. This is a little too raisin – esque for me. It’s not offensive, but there are so many more flavors out there that I prefer.
If you love fig, and like sweet fruity, jammy, thick teas – then this would probably be a good one to try. For me, just ok…

Sample from MissB!

Okay this definitely smells like a tea that I wouldn’t necessarily enjoy, but I was smelling the teas that I brought with me, and this was a bit intriguing. I normally don’t enjoy fruity teas, but this one smells a bit mellow and nice! The smell reminds me of a thing… a nice thing. Dude I don’t even know. This tasting note is a complete mess.

But umm… this definitely smells better than it tastes. Aww darn. It smells so nice and the fruitiness smells like it’s well balanced with the base, but tasting it, the fruit comes up and it tastes mediciney again :(

MissB

Ah boo. Medicine begone!

From a sample Ysaurella so kindly sent me, MONTHS ago. And which i have had before with a lot of pleasure, but without writing a taste note. Maybe because I do not know what to say about it. Black tea, Dammann usual black tea base (if that means anything to you) flavoured with fig. Precisely what it says on the package, so to speak. No less, but also no surprises.

It is a lovely flavouring, tasting natural to me and making me feel like summer is closer (the ads for garden furniture have started! Though it is going to be months before anybody with sense would put it out). For some reason, I think this flavour is one to which Dammann´s one-size-fits-all tea base really works perfectly. A very good example of a solo-flavoured black tea, surely one of Dammann´s best.

Ysaurella

I’m glad you liked it even if I almost forgot I sent it to you !
To me it is Figolu tea, not Fresh fig.