Figue Fraîche

Dried Fruit, Fig, Floral, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

From Dammann Freres

“Figue Fraîche” flavored black tea

Blend of black teas flavored with fig aroma. The generous and sweet flavor of fig fits harmoniously in a well balanced cup.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

Thank you Doulton – I am so grateful to be able to taste this Dammann Frères tea!

This tea smells amazing. This is THE ULTIMATE fig tea! The best fig tea that I’ve tasted thus far (I haven’t tried a lot … but this one is awesome!)

The black tea base is smooth and unassuming. There is a baked character to the tea that works well with the fig flavor, which is rich and sweet and delicious.

YUM! I love this tea!

WOW! This sounds neat!

Hi LiberTEAS would you still say today this tea is the best fig tea you ever had ?
I have a choice to do between all the Dammann teas I’d like to get and you may help me if 2 years after your review you answer yes to my question.

I haven’t had this tea in a couple of years, (Unfortunately, Dammann teas aren’t as readily available here in the states), but I’ve had a couple of fig teas since this time, and I do think that this one is still the best fig tea that I’ve tried.

thank you LiberTEAS, so for sure I’ll buy it tomorrow as I am going at their main shop.

Thanks for sharing VariaTEA and Dexter3657!

This smells like figs, wow. But that scent for some reason reminds me of baby food. Maybe slightly flowery figs, but only slightly.

This really does taste like figs. I’m not sure I’m fond enough of them to enjoy this tea, but I do so love when a tea is bang on it’s name.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 15 OZ / 443 ML

Another from Dexter3657 and I felt the same way (minus the baby food smell)

It makes me happy that this tea is getting passed along. I understand that neither of you liked it, but the more people that get to try it the better. Now you don’t have to wonder about it, or waste money on it.

Thanks Dexter! It’s true. It’s not that it was bad, in fact it was a well-done tea, just the flavour wasn’t for me.

Similar to figs, this is flavored with a lightly sweet, mild flavor. This tea is very pleasant. Not much more to say though….

Doulton mentioned this was similar to fig newtons…but my own experience w/fig newtons are those Italian fig cookies flavored w/anise. And of course, this tea is not similar to those cookies at all…

figs in tea sound interesting…

Really, it was just more of a “sweet” flavor than anything distinct…

The dry tea smells bake-y and figgy and very much like a Fig Newton. The steeped tea is a medium black with a flowery figgy flavor. The aftertaste is very pleasant. It is like a fig-infused flower—but I cannot id the flowery taste precisely. Midway through the cup I added some milk and a little bit of sugar and that really did not change my opinion. The milk did not diminish the flavor. I am glad that I have this and will wait to judge it again when I feel more emotionally grounded.

5 minutes later: there is a very satisfying and rich aftertaste lingering on my palate. It must be this tea; my breath alone does not smell so sweet!

LATER: This tea stands up very well; I am enjoying it right now and revising its grade upwards. Since I wrote my original note I have been revising some tea grades based on those which I will NEED to buy again when my original stock is low. There are a lot of French teas which are very amiable but somewhat “same-ish”. This one has got a unique thing going with its strong fig taste. I prefer it with milk and a touch of sugar for full luxury.

Speaking of simple teas that do one flavor and do it well, next we have this tea. I’m in love with many of DF’s fig-based teas, and this one is no exception. I love that it’s nice and figgy, smooth, well-balanced base tea, not too much going on. It would probably be fabulous iced but it’s also one of those teas that I don’t necessarily want to use it up that fast! But perhaps I will try it at some point. I would certainly consider keeping this tea around despite the fact I have many other figgy DF teas in my cupboard already!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I really need to try some figgy tea…makes me smack my lips every time I read a review!

Oh boy, let me tell you how much it stung to be apart from these DF teas for 2.5 months. Had I known I was going to be gone for that long, I would have brought them along with me (and more of other things too like clothes)! This one was already near the kettle when I got back, so I thought I’d go with it.

The dry leaf doesn’t smell like fig to me right away, more like a fresh plum. Very juicy, but fig? Not sure about that.

This is the second time having this, actually, and if I may recall, I wasn’t too impressed with it last time. Once this is steeped, I can taste the fig in this. Fig for real. The base kind of gets in the way, however. It’s a little too bold for such a soft flavour like fig. With each sip, I initially get a light smokiness, which goes away after a couple seconds, leaving me with the fig. To note, I’m quite sensitive to anything smoky, even if it’s a pinch, so I doubt most people would even notice it. And even for me, it’s practically not even there.

I wouldn’t buy more but I’m still so glad to have tried it, and am still ever so grateful to Marzipan for organizing the DF order a few months back, making it possible to try all the stuff I wanted to without having to commit to 100g of something.

A sample from Roswell Strange. I’ve not tried many fig teas before, largely because they seem to be a relative rarity in the UK. I think I’ve maybe come across one or two before, but certainly no more than that. I like figs, though, so I’m always glad to have the chance to translate that into tea form! I used 1 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it three minutes in boiling water. No additions. The resulting liquor is a medium golden-red-brown; the scent sweet with notes of dried fruit.

To taste (and as I’d hoped) the fig is the real star! It’s so true-to-life, and very fresh tasting to the point of juiciness. It’s hard to describe fig as anything other than “fig”, but I suppose raisin or fresh date come into it a little, although milder and sweeter. It makes for a great mid-morning cup! The black base is very smooth, with absolutely no astringency. It’s a tiny bit malty (although not overpoweringly so), and really just lets the fig flavour shine. This one’s a real winner with me.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Notes of:

- Fig
- Stonefruit
- Dried Fruits (“Fruit Leather”)
- Honey

So, Pottermore got an update/redesign! In honor of that I figured I’d retake the Sorting Hat quiz to find out what house I’m in. The quiz isn’t actually up on the website right now, but thankfully there’s another site you can take Rowling’s ‘official’ quiz at in the meantime!

I’m very curious to see what houses my fellow Steepsterites get sorted into! Back when I first took this quiz when Pottermore launched I got sorted as a Ravenclaw which made a lot of sense with the person I was at the time. Even before taking the quiz again, I was pretty confidant that’s NOT how I’d get sorted this time; I’m simply not that same person. And not surprisingly, I was right: this time around I’ve been sorted as a…

Tbh, that was probably my least favourite house when I was a kid/teenager reading the books. Wasn’t it everyone’s? But the older I’ve gotten the more I’ve identified with the Hufflepuff house and their valued traits (loyalty, hard working, acceptance, fairness) and the idea that they’d take in everyone and anyone. Plus, Tonks is a bad ass!

I’m a proud Hufflepuff.

Good points about Hufflepuff! I’ll have to read HP again sometime :)

I was Huffle puff with the original launch of Pottermore. I have not been on in a while though…

And the Hufflepuff common room is like a Hobbit hole…

Still Hufflepuff, with 82%!

88% Ravenclaw.

77% Hufflepuff, 69% Ravenclaw

Roswell Strange

Interesting that most people seem to be Hufflepuffs so far :)

I was close tie with Ravenclaw, then Gryffindor.

Ravenclaw. It was fun doing the quiz.

I know this is an older tasting note but I decided to take the quiz. 83% Ravenclaw and 45% Slytherin. Which doesn’t surprise me at all.

Roswell Strange

Meh, not that old :P Besides I’m curious where everyone falls – so far only Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff?

Thanks for posting this! I am a tie with Ravenclaw and Gryffindor… which made my day!

This is ok, nothing outstanding. Although I’m not getting much fig flavor at all. It’s coming out a little bit as it cools but I don’t know that I would have been able to identify the flavoring if I tried it blind. There is nothing offensive about it, just a nice comforting cup. I won’t reorder though.

Sandra Vdplaats

did you get Jardin Blue? I have it at home, it’s yum, and a very close resemblance to MG Marco Polo…
enjoy all your teas!! Seems fun to be trying out so many new tastes :)

I haven’t tried that one, but might need to order it now.

I was curious about this tea because I tend to appreciate plain black teas that have a figginess about their flavour already. This tea is kind of like that, turned up to eleven. To that end, it’s really lovely – lots of what I like in a black tea. This review is late so a lot of the finer details have escaped my seive-like memory, so further notes, I hope, will be better on the whole detail thing. But I quite liked it! Thanks to Ysaurella for sending this my way!