Nuit à Versailles

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Anna

2 Images

• “The teas that Doulton so graciously ordered from France have arrived in my mailbox!! I am so excited! The minute I opened the package this one started to call to me. Violets! I ate a nice big...” Read full tasting note
    JacquelineM 1112 tasting notes
  • “This is one of the most popular Dammann Frères blends, it seems - both in terms of ratings and sales. It makes sense - if DF's overall concept appealed to me, I'd be really excited about this tea,...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes
  • “I will _always_ take the opportunity to try Dammann blends I haven't tried yet. This one has even been on my list, but it wasn't a high priorty for ordering. But now thanks again to *Ellen* I have...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2003 tasting notes
  • “Oh. My. Lordy. I want to marry this tea company. I want to marry someone who works at this tea company. I would seriously consider dropping everything and moving to France in order to have...” Read full tasting note
    Rabs 361 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

China green tea is blended with scents associated with Versailles gardens since the 17th century : Bergamot essential oil, kiwi, peach, orange blossom and violet flavours…
This blend is adorned with orange blossoms and cornflower petals.

Huile essentielle de Bergamote, arômes kiwi, pêche jaune, fleur d’oranger, fleur de violette.
Saveurs cultivées avec gourmandises à Versailles depuis le XVIIe siècle, pour ce Sencha de Chine parfumé que des pétales de fleurs d’oranger et de bleuet rose complètent.

About Dammann Freres View company

The teas that Doulton so graciously ordered from France have arrived in my mailbox!! I am so excited! The minute I opened the package this one started to call to me. Violets! I ate a nice big breakfast that reminded me of a lunch so I could make pretend I was having this in the afternoon :)

Ooooooh so delicate! I’m drinking green tea Choward’s Violet candies!!! I am swooning. Where is my fainting couch?!?! I am IN LOVE! I am finding subtle supportive other sweet floral flavors, but this one is nothing like an Earl Grey and the other flowers do not stand out. This one is a lovely slightly vegetal green tea with violet, violet, violet. I erred on the side of caution and steeped it for 3 minutes, but the next time I make it I’m going to go for a 3:30 first steep. I think it can take it.

Steep 2: 4 min – Could it be that this steep is even more delicious?!!? Why I think it is!!! It’s a little more rounded but equally as violet and wonderful. I wish you could see me – I’m freaking out. You have no idea how much I love violet and I was so afraid this tea would be the equivalent of a toiletry – and it IS NOT!!!!

I’m completely intoxicated and am seeing violet elephants, but I think this could even go another steep. I’m going to save my leaves and see if I may want some this afternoon!

I am so happy right now! I love Doulton, I love the French, and I love Steepster!!!!!!!

EDIT: I just did a third steep (4 min) and it’s great!!!

Also – this sounds a little strange but I totally want to take a bath with this tea!! Green tea bathing is supposed to be good for health:

and this fragrance – ahh!! It would be the most amazing soak ever.

Rabs

I wanna see violet elephants! Your whole review actually made me smile :) I shall now be keeping an eye out for the next time Doulton does a large international order – this one’ll be on my list!

SoccerMom

Your review made me laugh and excited for you! I can’t wait to see how this Miss Violet gets along in the cupboard! Think Thomas will sweep her off her feet?

JacquelineM

Miss Violet is making friends right now with Jasmine Green! She is learning Lady Marmalade and some dance moves! She makes it so chic and frenchy tho – totally down tempo, smokes a cigarette on a holder, the lighting is subdued – amazing!

SoccerMom

I love it!

~lauren.

Go for it, JacquelineM! I take a nightly bath with green tea (only 2-4 teabags, not 6 like in your article though I have a huge tub)
Ref: http://steepster.com/LaurenUSA/posts/34419

This is one of the most popular Dammann Frères blends, it seems – both in terms of ratings and sales. It makes sense – if DF’s overall concept appealed to me, I’d be really excited about this tea, too. Smelling the dry leaf is interesting – at first, it’s a rich, dreamy bouquet with all the different scent strands weaving into each other. After a while, though, it’s possible to identify individual fruits and florals. There’s peach, and violet, some orange… and even what smells like DF’s passion fruit to me.

Steeped, it retains much of the same complexity – the beginning of the sip and the aftertaste leave very different impressions. But it’s just very, very delicate. Too delicate for me, and with a dominant presence of that perfumey note DF are so fond of. It’s a little bit like drinking someone’s grandmother – don’t get me wrong, it’s a grandmother of the Parisian variety, all old Chanel and pearls and dignity, but still. Too perfumey.

[From my epic Instant-Thé order to Rome, October 2013.]

Terri HarpLady

Granny decked out & taking a stroll on a balmy evening :)

Ysaurella

and the DF black teas ? do you like them better ?

Anna

Terri: Haha… and in Versailles, no less!

Ysaurella: Yes, the black teas are definitely better, but I prefer MF any day.

2003 tasting notes

I will always take the opportunity to try Dammann blends I haven’t tried yet. This one has even been on my list, but it wasn’t a high priorty for ordering. But now thanks again to Ellen I have a sample yay!

Ok there is for sure something weird going on with some element here, but I don’t know if it is my brewing setup (recently cleaned, but not too recently), water (maybe?) or the samples. This does not have the same powerful salty flavor as the Nirvana tea earlier today, but it does have kind of an odd savory note. Fortunately for me, there’s plenty of lovely bergamot, orange blossom and violet as well. The savory note is fading as the tea cools as well. This is a very violetty tea blend, though it doesn’t assult you with violets. More just provides you with enough to roll around in. Don’t think I would restock this one (and I’m glad I don’t have 100g of it), although I am very glad that I got a chance to try it.

Shmiracles

i tried to go through your reviews, but what are some of your favorite Dammann Freres? i hope to shop there soon :)

I am with you on that Dinosara! i want to try them all!

Dinosara

Shmiracles – Well, it depends. What kind of flavors do you like? I love floral teas and so most of the teas I’ve had from there are floral in some way. But I’ve also had some fruity ones and more traditional (like Earl Grey, Red Fruits). In my opinion you can’t go wrong with any of them. I love the black tea base that Dammann uses for most of their flavored teas which helps. :)

Oh. My. Lordy.

I want to marry this tea company. I want to marry someone who works at this tea company. I would seriously consider dropping everything and moving to France in order to have easier access to this tea. This is the best floral green tea that I’ve ever had!!!!!

How can a tea be so complex, delicate, and beyond yummy? Dammann Freres? They really must be fairies masquerading as tea blenders creating rare, precious, and joyful nectar.

Violets? I never really gave much thought to this flower. Violets in this tea are a revelation! Bergamot? I didn’t even realize that there was bergamot in this until I looked at this tea’s description (on my 3rd yummy steep). This is the most delicate and lovely unassuming bergamot!

Okay, I’ll stop rambling. But this is an awesome floral green tea! Thank you so very very very very very very very very much JacquelineM for the sample of this tea!!!!!

ETA: Ummm…TG

S

Sounds lovely!

Kristin

You guys are making me jealous with the Dammann Freres teas.

Rabs

I only have enough DF from both generous Doulton and generous JacquelineM to have one more experience of each :( I shall mourn their passing. I shall also be putting aside some money specifically for the next time there’s a group order.

-Jessica-

This sounds simply amazing!

malomorgen

you made me explore their website. very tempting. specialy the Noel Provanse one. love the combo in that one. shall oder some but not very soon hopefully…

MelissaC

Not sure if any of you know, but Dammann Freres is part of Gruppo illy (the coffee company). I work on the US eshop and we carry Dammann Freres teas. I love reading these reviews because I am not a coffee person but rather a tea lover and I find Dammann to be fantastic. This tea and the Charlotte au Chocolat sound divine! I will try to get them on our site. http://www.illyusa.com/tea

JacquelineM

MelissaC – I love illy coffee too. I would love to be able to order illy coffee, a wider variety of DF tea (and the amazing limited edition cups you have designed for you!) all in one place.

You guys should do a limited edition tea pot! Do you think Julian Schnabel will do one like his cups!?! (not kidding!!)

A big thank you goes to Doulton for my opportunity to try this tea.

This tea smells beautiful. The dry leaf possesses a strong fruit and floral aroma with hints of fresh grass. When brewed, the liquor has a stronger grassy aroma but still has notes of flower and fruit.

The flavor is so wonderful. Delicate notes of fruit and flower united with a soft, smooth, buttery green tea. Lovely.

TeaEqualsBliss

Sounds like a goodie!

Thank you to Meghann for this one! I don’t usually drink tea this late at night unless it is decaf, but I couldn’t wait to try one of my new teas that arrived today.

First on my list was Nuit A Versailles. The aroma is heavenly. This is a lovely green tea, lightly buttery-flavored and oh! the goodies they have blended with it! I don’t taste the bergamot as bergamot – this tea is far too delicate for that. And having had lavender tea that tried to hurt me, and Parma Violets candy from Ireland that tasted like I was eating a WHOLE field of flowers, I could have been afraid to try this. But I know the French do flavored teas so well, and they didn’t let us down here.

Want to feel rich and pampered? Get out your favorite pretty cup, make this tea, and sniff sniff sniff. Then slowly sip and enjoy, but don’t stop letting this aroma work its wonders on you. This is a five star flavored green.

JacquelineM

This is my favorite, favorite, favorite flavored green in the world!!!!!

Tastes like a typical flavored green tea. It was very pleasant, but not anything totally different from what I’ve had before. I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy this from France =P

Bought at Oronero – Palazzo Pitti – Firenze