Mélange des Chérubins

Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

From Dammann Freres

“Mélange des Chérubins” flavored black tea

When black teas intertwine to chocolate, hazelnut, and blood orange, it reminds us of afternoon snacks. Embellished with orange peels, sprinkled with flowers.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

Thanks so much to Ruby Woo Scarlett for sharing this tea with me.

I wanted to try this one for ages and here I am : classic Dammann tea base and greedy ingredients such as chocolate, hazelnut + blood orange.

It is really quite similar to Velours Nacré (same tea base, same ingredients at the difference it has almonds in place of hazelnuts)

it’s a pleasant tea, not one I would buy as I own Velours Nacré but I’m happy to have had the chance to taste it

I could have sworn I smelled cherry in this, but I guess it is that almond/cherry crossover smell! I’m really not getting much flavor from this at all which is disappointing considering how delicious the ingredients sound.

Anna

…and yet, the black teas are the ones I think are the most flavourful of DF’s blends. The greens are just too wimpy for my tastes.

Chocolate, hazelnut, and orange. Although DF teas seem to hold their flavour very well, at least considering I’ve had these for nearly a year, the flavours in this one don’t really pop. Despite this being my first tasting note, I have had this when it was a lot fresher, and if I recall, it wasn’t particularly flavourful then either. I’m not getting much other than the base. Perhaps a vague nuttiness that is blending in so well with the base that it could pass as a base note itself. Orange? Not much, and the chocolate is faint too.

For a chocolate orange nut blend, I prefer Velours Nacré, which has almond instead. I could be wrong, but I swear the orange and chocolate notes are stronger in it too. Also prefer Coquelicot Gourmand when we’re talking about ultra desserty DF teas. This only makes it easier for me to decide on what to get in the future.