Bergamot
Edit tea info Last updated by Laura

• “Day 9! Mmmmmm. My favorite. The black tea base is fairly mild. The bergamot is quite mild in my opinion, which is a bit disappointing. I was hoping for a bold tea. But after tasting a few...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 754 tasting notes
  • “Advent calendar 2013, day 9. I love Earl Grey. LOVE it. Mostly the EGC varietals, but I have to admit this is probably the most excited I've been about a tea so far, since I kind of know...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Dammann advent calendar, day 9. Ahhh, Earl Grey. I have had their Earl Grey avec fleurs, but not their plain Earl, so I am interested to try it. This tea just makes me happy. It's been a long time...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1914 tasting notes
  • “a classic tea from a classic company, brewed on the last day of the year. this is tea tasting # 599. important baby update, i live with a family and the baby took her first steps a few days...” Read full tasting note
    shmiracles 736 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

The famous black Dammann Frères box contains 50 Cristal tea bags. The material, close to silk, permits to obtain an infusion with all the same qualities appreciated in loose tea. Each tea bag contains 2g of tea.
The Earl Grey is a tradtional oriental blend of unsmoked Chinese teas. It casts a spell on all lovers of the fine bergamot from Calabria.
Infusion : 4/5 minutes.
Tea from China.

About Dammann Freres View company

Day 9!

Mmmmmm. My favorite.

The black tea base is fairly mild. The bergamot is quite mild in my opinion, which is a bit disappointing. I was hoping for a bold tea. But after tasting a few of Dammann’s other teas, I can see why this one is formulated as it is. It is subtle, light, slightly sweet in a natural sense. No astringency or chemical taste. A bit reminiscent of oranges but also of red fruits. Even though I generally prefer a stronger bergamot, this one is still good. Pure enjoyment!

Advent calendar 2013, day 9.

I love Earl Grey. LOVE it. Mostly the EGC varietals, but I have to admit this is probably the most excited I’ve been about a tea so far, since I kind of know what level of flavoring I like and have had enough other versions that I could really do a good comparison.

The results were disappointingly ‘eh’.

There is surprisingly little flavor from either the tea or the bergamot in this, despite following the recommended steep parameters. I’ve enjoyed all of Dammann’s other teas without additives but maybe that’s what is missing here? I guess I’ll give it a try….

Okay, with a bit of milk and sugar the bergamot peeks out but this is still a really lackluster tea base. It’s smooth, it’s just…barely there. I think Earls need a strong base to stand up to the bergamot.

So this one wasn’t too my taste. Still a good tea, just…I’ve had better Earl Greys for sure.

1914 tasting notes

This tea just makes me happy. It’s been a long time since I had the “avec fleurs” Earl, so I can’t really remember it enough to be able to distinguish them, but I do think that this reminds me of that tea. I love the base blend, it is rich and comforting. The bergamot is not super strong, but it’s present enough to keep me satisfied. It is citrusy and not too floral, and it has that somewhat biscuity flavor that I sometimes get with bergamot and some base teas. Mmmm, so tasty. Kinda wish Dammann made a “double bergamot” Earl just because I would like it a bit stronger, but it is still lovely.

Lala

I also wish they made a double bergamot earl. My mouth is watering now just thinking of it. Ha ha.

a classic tea from a classic company, brewed on the last day of the year.
this is tea tasting # 599.

important baby update, i live with a family and the baby took her first steps a few days ago. and somehow it’s totally made her EXTRA stoked on life! i mean, she was already stoked but now she reaches hyper proportions of excitement. it’s contagious and i feel lucky to be able to hang out with her so regularly.
future highlights will include choreographing dances and tea parties (duh!)

Lala

I remember when my twin nephews figured out how awesome it was to stand at the baby gate and throw things down the stairs. They thought they ruled the world.

Back at work today. Drank lots of Damman Freres noel tea from my sister’s advent calendars and they were all lovely. Real fruits and tea flavor in the middle of winter. Watched the Sherlock minisode before bed, and have lots of holiday ficish daydreaming in my head for multiple fandoms.

Tea Sipper

Sherlock!! CAN’T WAIT!

oddree

Yes yes! Just a few more days

Finally getting back to the advent calendar! I think this is day 9? This is a really enjoyable cup of Earl Grey in what I’m guessing is the really well balanced soft black tea base of theirs that I have tasted before. It is just so smooth! The bergamot is present, but not biting. Nothing is overpowering anything else. I’m not a huge EG fan, but this may be the nicest I have had.

Catching up on my tealog!
My cousin took me to brunch at Firestone’s last week on Sunday, and I decided to try the earl grey of this brand, which I’ve never heard of before. It was quite delicious, but I can’t accurately rate it since it’s been a while. One of the better ones I’ve tried, I think, as I recall having about 3-4 cups of it.

This tea is a rather special Earl Grey, its taste is almost neutral, much less pronounced than many tea I had the opportunity to taste elsewhere. Nevertheless it is a very nice tea that I like to drink nature, as all teas I usually drink. Its nose is very fragrant and it’s always a pleasure to open its box.
Drinking tea is something I do everywhere, at home, at work or with friends and this tea, presented in a beautiful cardboard box can be transported easily, even if its conservation would have been much better in an iron box. You need some time to drink 50 sachets, and it will be interesting to see how the tea will grow old.
The Dammann’s Crystal bag is another advantage of this tea, in fact its excellent workmanship and its very fine mesh guarantees no deposit in the cup.
Without being my favourite tea, this tea is excellent with breakfast, and I highly recommend it to anyone wishing to drink tea with a delicate but simple flavour.

Had this in a restaurant at a Hilton (in Houston, TX) and enjoyed it black, without any sweetener or milk. I steeped it for about 4.5 minutes, and it developed a nice deep amber/auburn liquor and a pleasantly mild bergamot aroma. A bit tannic in the mouth but overall very drinkable. I used to drink Earl Grey quite a bit when I was younger, and have switched in general to Irish Breakfast or English Breakfast (or Twining’s Lady Grey) but may try more Earl Greys straight now, just to have a point of comparison. I’ve heard some people like their Earl Grey with milk, but others are firmly opposed to adding milk to it. For me, the jury is still out on this… would love to hear other’s opinions. All in all, a nice Earl Grey tea that I would gladly drink again. Might edit this review once I have some comparison points with other Earl Grey teas. For now, I’d rate it about a 75.