Meng Ding Huang Ya

Yellow Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “*Doulton* - I love you. Thank you for sending me this tea. It is truly amazing. This is a yellow tea. Of course, it doesn't look like a yellow tea... or at least, not like the yellow teas...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4423 tasting notes
  • “When I opened the lid to the brewed tea, it smelled like a huge cigar. I was surprised how much this smelled like tobacco! This is my first experience with yellow tea and DF. It has a strong...” Read full tasting note
    MelissaW 258 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

This tea is rare as it can only be plucked at springtime. It comes from the mountain Meng, in Sichuan province, where tea growing started during Han dynasty, more than 2000 years ago. At that time, yellow tea was only served at the imperial court. The 5cm long leaves are green with a pale yellow hue. The interesting colour and flavour of that tea come from a very unique processing technique. The fresh leaves undergo a swift withering and are then rolled in small quantities in “Niu Pi Zhi”, a kind of old yellow paper, in which they are left to dry naturally. This tea shows a pale yellow cup with a mellow character with hints of walnut.

About Dammann Freres View company

Doulton – I love you. Thank you for sending me this tea. It is truly amazing.

This is a yellow tea. Of course, it doesn’t look like a yellow tea… or at least, not like the yellow teas that I’ve experienced before. This is my first experience with a Meng Ding Huang Ya like this – the leaves are quite a bit darker than other Meng Ding Huang Ya teas that I’ve tried.

But I’m not complaining at all, because this tea is sublime. Delicious, rich, nutty, sweet. No astringency, no bitterness… just deliciousness. I can taste only a subtle hint of vegetative quality at the finish.

Put simply, this is an amazing tea. I want more.

LiberTEAS

The second infusion of these leaves is equally as amazing. It is a little lighter, but the flavor is still sweet and nutty and delicious. YUM!

T.C.

Your review has me intrigued. Any idea where I can get a sample of this without shelling out the money for 100g?

LiberTEAS

Unfortunately, I do not. I used the only leaves I had of this today. In my opinion, it IS worth the money, though, and I will probably be placing an order within the next couple of months.

Cofftea

Ok, this is where I reveal what a tea idiot I am w/ some aspects. I just got this updated from Upton… the name is similar… but is the tea similar?

ZG62: Huang Shan Mao Feng Superior “This hand crafted tea is a more affordable version of our Supreme Huang Shan Mao Feng. The cup is sweet, with notes of apricot and pear. The liquor has a slightly darker hue than the Supreme, and is notable for it’s smooth flavor and light, sweet aftertaste.” 40g packet is $10.80; more about this item at:http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/index.asp?home=Item&itemID=ZG62

LiberTEAS

No, I don’t think that they are similar, Mao Feng is a green tea, where as the Meng Ding Huang Ya is a yellow tea. Yellow and green teas are different in flavor, texture and process. Also, this Meng Ding Huang Ya is different from even other Meng Ding Huang Ya teas that I’ve tasted. Most of the Meng Ding Huang Ya teas that I’ve encountered have been yellow to yellow-ish green in color, where these leaves were quite a bit darker… still possessing some of the green and yellow hues but much darker in color.

Cofftea

Ok. Well I tried. Yellow tea is like Pu Erh… I’ve seen it lumped w/ both green and oolong. And white too I think. Runs and hides in shame of her stupidity…

This is my first experience with yellow tea and DF. It has a strong flavor for such a light brew. I am just not a fan of it. It has a smoky like flavor. It does have a sweetness to it. It reminds me of pine nuts, which I don’t like.

I just couldn’t down the cup! I think for me, to enjoy this tea, I would need to be in a certain mood. I just didn’t like it.

Paul M Tracy

This is the first time where someone’s description for a sub-20 rating actually sounds appealing to me. I’ve only had a yellow tea once before and it was disappointing as well, but that was because it had no character at all. This sounds interesting but I like smokey and nutty.

Mel

Yeah, I just hate smoky teas, I love smoked meats. I can send you the rest of it, it’s like maybe 20 grams. I know I won’t drink it, rather give it to someone else who might like it!

LiberTEAS

Mel: I will take it if you don’t want it. Would you like to swap?