Earl Grey Yin Zhen

Black White Blend
Bergamot, Hay, Honey, Smooth
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Day 9 I managed to make it 6 days before I forgot to bring my daily advent tea with me to work again. So this is for yesterday. I love Earl grey. And to be specific, I love bergamot. So I was...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 807 tasting notes
  • “*Dammann Frères Advent Calendar - December 9th* Ooh, an earl grey today! I've actually been craving bergamot teas a bit lately, especially since I bought one on a whim at Target. So this is...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 827 tasting notes
  • “*Dammann Advent Calendar, Day 9* Hey, it's a DF tea that I haven't had! Seems like a rarity these days. They seemed to have switched out the standard EG for the Yin Zhen this year. I never quite...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2030 tasting notes
  • “I've been falling so behind on the advent calendar days, so I will be drinking some in reverse until I'm all caught up! This is today's tea, though, so at least I can begin with this one. I'm not...” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 560 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

“Earl Grey Yin Zhen” flavored black tea

A subtle marriage of black teas, delicate silver tips, flower petals and bergamot from Calabria essential oil. It results in a balanced premium Earl Grey.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

Day 9

I love Earl grey. And to be specific, I love bergamot. So I was quite excited for this tea.

This was smells strongly of bergamot from the dry sachet. Once brewed it has a sweet citrus bergamot scent.

The tea tastes lightly of bergamot. The citrus essence is nice. The black tea base is moderately bold, is lightly dry but not stringent. I think the silver tips bridge the gap between the bergamot and the black tea. It adds a hay like taste and thickness to the tea. The flower petals smooth it out and add a faint hint of sweetness and pastry.

This is quite a good and interesting Earl grey. I would prefer a kick in your face black te and bergamot type Earl grey but this one is still tasty.

Dammann Frères Advent Calendar – December 9th

Ooh, an earl grey today! I’ve actually been craving bergamot teas a bit lately, especially since I bought one on a whim at Target. So this is perfect timing! Apparently this is supposed to be a mixed black & white base, but I don’t see a single silver needle in my sachet, or any light-colored tea matter at all. There are a couple of flower petals, but otherwise it just looks like black tea. Dry scent is strongly bergamot. I lowered the steeping temperature just a tad, just in case there is secretly white tea in there.

The steeped tea has a much milder bergamot aroma, along with a touch of sweetness. Hm, I don’t think I taste any white tea here. It did come out on the milder side, but I think that’s just because of the lower temperature. And I’m not necessarily complaining, as some earl greys are way too strong on the bergamot for me! This tea strikes a nice balance between an unobtrusive and smooth base tea and the citrusy bergamot oil. I’m enjoying my mellow cup. I think perhaps there’s a hint of white tea hay/honey flavor at the end of the sip and in the aftertaste?

Flavors: Bergamot, Hay, Honey, Smooth

190 °F / 87 °C 4 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

2030 tasting notes

Dammann Advent Calendar, Day 9

Hey, it’s a DF tea that I haven’t had! Seems like a rarity these days. They seemed to have switched out the standard EG for the Yin Zhen this year.

I never quite know what to make of black teas with silver tips thrown in. Do they make a difference? Should I compensate for the fact that most white teas don’t really like boiling temps (at least western style)? For this one, I dropped it to just below boiling to make sure I wouldn’t shock them.

I find this to be a very tasty Earl Grey. Bright and citrusy, with a smooth, nicely blended base. It’s been so long since I had DF’s regular EG (or avec fleurs) that it is impossible for me to compare the two, but I remember liking them but wishing the bergamot was a bit stronger. I don’t really have that complain here, but I also don’t know if it’s really that different. I’m not sure I can pick out anything that says white tea to me; perhaps a slight added creaminess? I just got a sip that maybe had a hint of hay, which is definitely white tea. Overall a tasty Earl, though I’m not sure the silver tips provide any added value.

Anlina

I’ve had so many blends where the white tea seems completely pointless, aside from maybe looking pretty in the dry leaf, and bumping up the price significantly.

Dinosara

Yeah, I was actually going to make a comment about pricing but then I checked and this blend is no more expensive than their “Earl Grey avec fleurs” blend, and hardly (like a dollar or two per 100g) more expensive than the plain EG, so at least they’re not jacking up the price because of it.

Kittenna

Ahahahaha, I saw a review for this a bit higher up on my dashboard, and was curious as to whether you’d just grab your looseleaf tin of this too! :P Seems not, which is a good thing!

I’ve been falling so behind on the advent calendar days, so I will be drinking some in reverse until I’m all caught up! This is today’s tea, though, so at least I can begin with this one.

I’m not a huge fan of Earl Grey. Sometimes I’ll be in the mood and it will be delicious, but most of the time, I’d prefer something else. This cup smells rich and the black tea is strong. I can’t pick up on the white tea yet.

Sipping… the first thing I taste is a bit of bright, bitter orange peel quickly followed by the black tea. It tastes a bit like your standard Earl Grey only it is perhaps a bit smoother. For someone who isn’t wild about Earl Grey, it isn’t bad, but perhaps a little boring.

December 9 – Advent 2014

Cameron B.

Ooh, excited to see another Steepsterite doing this calendar as well! :D