Earl Grey avec des fleurs

Edit tea info Last updated by SimplyJenW

• “Another tea of the afternoon..... This is the second tea in my recent Dammann Freres order. I am always on the look out for a good Earl Grey. It is definitely my tea preference in the warmer...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 970 tasting notes
  • “It feels like forever since I've had a good solid Earl, mostly because that is true, it has been ages. But yesterday while I was running around picking up stuff for my new apartment I checked my PO...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1911 tasting notes
  • “The tea leaves are beautiful, the resulting tea is mild, and the fragrance is amazing. The tea leaves are whole enough that it doesn't impart bitterness to the tea even if left to steep for longer...” Read full tasting note
    anniepark310 6 tasting notes
  • “I drank this yesterday. I ordered the Coquelicot Gourmand from Dammann because I had it at my cousin's house and it was spectacular. Since I was ordering this from Dammann, which is in...” Read full tasting note
    lazer 13 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

Another recipe of China tea, pure bergamot oil, cornflower and sunflower petals.
Recommended brewing time : 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

Another tea of the afternoon…..

This is the second tea in my recent Dammann Freres order. I am always on the look out for a good Earl Grey. It is definitely my tea preference in the warmer months. I was looking for an Earl Grey at Dammann that was available loose (because the loose teas packaged in a bag are a great value in my opinion!), and this is what I picked because it seemed the simplest Earl in their current offerings. They do have one with Yin Zen white tips in the black tea blend, but this one just looked prettier. In sachets, they also have a plain Earl Grey. Since the blue flowers in this one are cornflowers and not lavender, I figured I would be safe (as lavender is usually a turn off for my palate.)

This is really good! I would call it lower on the bergamot intensity, but not as low as something like Earl Grey Supreme from Harney. It is more like a mellow version of bright bergamot. Let me explain that! My favorite Earl Grey has bright notes of bergamot…kind of an in your face bergamot that leans slightly orangey. You definitely know it is there. That version works because it is on a slightly stronger tea base. Since the tea base here is a little more relaxed, and the bergamot level is perfectly matched to the strength of the base, it is a more mellow and relaxed version of my favorite. No hints of floral on the perfumey side which I don’t like at all, but leaning slightly to the orange side of bergamot. I now count this one among my favorites.

Usual mug method.

1911 tasting notes

It feels like forever since I’ve had a good solid Earl, mostly because that is true, it has been ages. But yesterday while I was running around picking up stuff for my new apartment I checked my PO box and found a lovely package from SimplyJenW. Yay! This was one of the teas that she sent me. I love Dammann Fréres but I have never tried an Earl from them so I am definitely excited.

Jen says that this seems like it has the same base as their Goût Russe, which is exciting because that tea is delicious. And so is this one! Geez, Dammann Fréres, why do you have to be so excellent all the time? This is a lovely Earl. It’s basically Goût Russe with only bergamot instead of a melange of citrus. The bergamot isn’t super powerful, but nor is it very weak. A perfect amount of bergamot to complement the delicious black tea base, which is that nice blend of Chinese black teas that ends up being warm and rich and just yum.

Thanks a bunch for sending me some of this Earl, Jen! It is definitely on my list of teas to acquire from DF. I have the most gigantic order ever planned once I somehow reduce my currently epic stash.

The tea leaves are whole enough that it doesn’t impart bitterness to the tea even if left to steep for longer than the recommended time.

I drank this yesterday.

I ordered the Coquelicot Gourmand from Dammann because I had it at my cousin’s house and it was spectacular. Since I was ordering this from Dammann, which is in France, I figured I may as well add something else to my order while I was ordering from them. I like Earl Greys so I got this.

Didn’t taste much of the “fleurs” in this Earl Grey avec des fleurs. To me, this just tasted like a normal Earl Grey… a very good Earl Grey, but since I had expected a little something more, I was a little disappointed.