Noël à Paris

Candy, Cherry, Ginger, Heavy, Marzipan, Medicinal, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Yes I am having a Christmas tea for breakfast in the middle of Summer…I wanted to taste it for ages and now I have the opportunity thanks to a sample I received with my Instant thé...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 408 tasting notes
  • “Day 23! Christmas in Paris, yes please! This one is a nice smooth black base, I am getting a slight metallic tinge from the ceylon. I am getting sweet cherry and smooth...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 840 tasting notes
  • “This was the second tea of tea party. It is very good, but honestly the aroma of the dry leaves is a little off-putting for me. The cherry flavor comes across as medicinal in aroma, but the taste...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2048 tasting notes
  • “Skipping around the remaining teas from my advent calendar. This one sounded good, cherry, almond and ginger! The dry tea smells promising! Cherry and almond scents are sometimes hard to decipher,...” Read full tasting note
    Dustin2Dust 643 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

“Noël à Paris” flavored black tea

Black teas blended with flower petals and combined to almond and cherry flavours with a hint of gingerbread and ginger.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

Yes I am having a Christmas tea for breakfast in the middle of Summer…I wanted to taste it for ages and now I have the opportunity thanks to a sample I received with my Instant thé order.

This is a classical blend more than clearly the same kind as Thé de Noël from Compagnie Coloniale exactly the same ingredients cherry,ginger, cornflower on a black tea base.

I need to make a special tasting with a cup of each but I have the impression now that the tea base of Dammann is maybe a little bit stronger vs Compagnie Coloniale.

Well this is clearly not my favourite christmas tea even if nice but these flavours change from cloves, orange, mandarin…

I am gloomy today as I have to come back to work on Wednesday and I really would have loved to remain in holidays – That’s so weird to me as in my previous job I was always so happy to wake up to go to work.
I know what it means so…

Day 23!

Christmas in Paris, yes please!

This one is a nice smooth black base, I am getting a slight metallic tinge from the ceylon. I am getting sweet cherry and smooth almond. I am unfortunately not getting any ginger, I think this one would be quite delicious with ginger, well it is already delicious. Ha ha. The flavouring is light and compliments that black base very nicely. The pink cornflowers seem to provide some thickness to the liquor. I am imagining walking through the Paris streets in the evening with a bit of snow falling around me. Le sigh!

It’s almost time for Christmas Day tea. I am excited to see what it is. I’m assuming, best for last.

Shmiracles

i’m going to go to a holiday hangout soon and i’m gonna brew this in my timolino to enjoy there! i love tea in the winter!!!

2048 tasting notes

This was the second tea of tea party. It is very good, but honestly the aroma of the dry leaves is a little off-putting for me. The cherry flavor comes across as medicinal in aroma, but the taste is good. Fortunately, the almond flavor hasn’t faded as that is my favorite part.

This tea is rather old now and we are working hard to sip down the oldest teas. Fortunately, my youngest daughter puts away copious amounts of tea every day and doesn’t mind drinking whatever I am working on a sipdown for, so she always asks what to get rid of and I choose a few things. Of course, we also indulge ourselves with a tea or two that we are hankering for, regardless of how long it has been around.

sren

I am curious what you consider rather old as I am furiously working to drink down my open stash in fear of this. :)

ashmanra

This particular tea is about three years old and I have a number of them that age. With single origin unflavored teas the loss of freshness is more evident than with these flavored blends, but I want to get the older ones out of the way so I can drink the newer, fresher tea. I really need to pare down my cupboard so this won’t be an issue anymore!

Skipping around the remaining teas from my advent calendar. This one sounded good, cherry, almond and ginger! The dry tea smells promising! Cherry and almond scents are sometimes hard to decipher, but I find the two rather distinct in this tea with the cherry dominating. It is a syrupy cherry smell. When brewed the scent is still present, but faded. I’m finding it difficult to be patient enough to let it cool before sipping. First few sips… I’m finding it has a very flat taste to it, like cherry juice soaked into cardboard. Is that the ginger? Adding sugar makes the cherry stand out more, but I’m also getting a dry mouth feeling from it too. I was really hoping to fall in love with a tea or two from DF, but I think this brand is just not for me.

Tuscanteal

LOL! Cherry soaked in cardboard!!

Dustin

I feel pretty cruel describing tea that way, but sometimes it is the only way to describe what I’m tasting!

Anna

So I guess there are now TWO people in the world who don’t love DF. We should have a (very small) club.

Tuscanteal

Don’t, that’s what makes it great. Very honest :)

Dinosara

Anna, there are some others (cteresa I think would join your club!). I am however in the other (very small) club of people who don’t love MF. Sometimes I feel like the only one!

Tuscanteal

I’ve never tried DF, but I adore MF… they were my first loose leaf tea company!!! Pricey but delicious!

Anna

Aww. Sara, the last dinosaur!

Dustin

A very small club has that exclusive feel about it. Pretty soon everyone is going to be begging to join our club and we can give them the “I don’t think so” look and not let them in to keep up the hype! Mwah-ha-ha-ha!

There is a fine line between honesty and being an a-hole. I try to stay on the honest side, but sometimes I take a quick leap over the line. ;)

I like MF alright so far, but they haven’t wowed me the way other French companies have like La Palais de Thes and Nina’s. Still, I’m finding most French tea to be surprisingly smooth even if the flavor tastes like packing peanuts.

Anna

It’s a product, you paid for it, it’s a huge tea merchant that turns over who knows how much money, and it’s very unlikely that anyone who could have their feelings hurt by your honest impressions of their tea would ever read one of these reviews.

I have to say, I find it really helpful when people write their honest opinions about these teas, even if they’re negative, because then you feel like less of a lunatic when you also find the product underwhelming.

Have you tried Le Palais des Thés’ pear tea? I am so into that.

Dustin

There are some smaller companies here that read the reviews of their teas that might be bummed by someone slamming something they worked hard on, but I think you are right about the big companies.

I haven’t tried their pear tea! There are only 4 or so teas of theirs that I have had so far, but they have all been very lovely.

Anna

Exactly, I agree – it’s important to take into account the huge challenges smaller companies face and what a privilege it is to have so many of them actively participating on Steepster.

The pear is one of those teas I’m sort of hoarding, because I worry I’ll run out. Thankfully, my friend is moving to Oslo soon, and there are two (?!) stores there. Le Palais des Thés have stores in the strangest places.

Dustin

I got to visit a Le Palais store this summer when I was in Dublin for a month. I hadn’t heard of the brand before, but I was thrilled to find it! It looks like the only stores they have in the states are in New York which is pretty far away for me.
That is great that you will have a friend able to send you tea! If I knew of more teas that I liked of theirs I’d start looking into who I knew who lived in New York and could do the same for me!

Anna

I know, Dublin! I mean, who has stores in Dublin, Oslo and Tel Aviv? Either it’s completely random, or a brilliant, strategic marketing move. (Hoping for the latter.) Their unflavoured teas are supposedly not-so-high-quality and very overpriced, but I haven’t tried them myself.

Dammann advent calendar, day 23. Christmas in Paris!

When I smelled the dry leaf of this one I correctly picked out the flavors: fruity (I thought perhaps cherry), almond, and a hint of spiciness (turns out to be ginger). We’ll see if this cherry goes over ok for me.

This one isn’t too over the top cherry, so I’m good with it. I mean it’s cherry, but it’s not cherry. Perhaps it’s a bit more natural and less candy-like (I do like fresh cherries). Anyway, the cherry and almond are the main flavors, with some mild spices. Overall not a bad cup, but I wouldn’t go for it again.

Shmiracles

i’m gonna brew this to take with me to a holiday party. tea is the best drink for ALL OCCASIONS! happy holiday to you!

Advent calendar day 24. Backlog from this morning.

Cherry almond, yep. That’s the scent I get from the dry leaf. I wish I could pick up on the ginger, though – I am guessing that I won’t get it in the flavor if I don’t get it in the scent.

Steep notes: no additives, below parameters.

Sure enough, cherry and almond are at the forefront in the taste. It’s a pretty flavorful blend, too. I feel like I’ve had some iteration of this before in some of their other blends, though. No ginger to speak of, and I went the longest I could while steeping.

Eh. It was good to have (especially because the only other tea I have is my beloved Frissy and I’m traveling until Dec. 31st) but it’s not the Noel a Venise that I was so hoping I’d get for Christmas. (Sigh – guess I’ll just have to order some!)

day 23 of the dammann advent calendar !!
I actually drank this days ago and I’ll probably have my second and last cup in a few moments this morning.
I ordered the advent calendar as a way to taste 20 or so new teas. And seriously having all these individually wrapped tea bags is so fun! Easy to bring them along to parties as back-up or enjoy while out and about.

This tea smells super cherry. Like candy cherry. But after it’s brewed the almond is very strong. I’ve been tasting a bunch of almond related teas lately. I’m totally into it.

Dammann Frères Advent Calendar – December 23rd

Hooray, finally caught up! I’ve been quite happy with this calendar, and there are several teas that are now on my to-buy list. I would really like to try all of the different Christmas city teas, perhaps I can find someone to swap with (or maybe they’ll be in next year’s calendar). Anyway! This sachet is filled with black tea leaves and a few pink flower petals, and it smells heavily of maraschino cherry. Looking at the description, I see almond and gingerbread listed as well.

The steeped tea is also very heavy on the sweet maraschino and marzipan flavors, and I don’t smell any gingerbread. The taste of this tea makes me think of how Jergens cherry almond lotion smells. It’s a good concept, but it comes out tasting a little bit odd. The cherry and marzipan flavors are strong and heavy, a little bit too heavy I think. I can taste the ginger, but find it to taste out of place here and it makes the cherry go towards the medicinal side of things. There’s also a weird dough-y flavor that comes off a little bit like homemade Play-Doh to me. Overall, this one is a miss for me. I would have liked to have tried it without the gingerbread factor.

Flavors: Candy, Cherry, Ginger, Heavy, Marzipan, Medicinal, Sweet

200 °F / 93 °C 4 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

This blend smells a little funky. It’s quite heavy on the fruit and light on the spices. Certainly not a bad thing as I prefer my spices to be in the background.

Sipping… I taste juicy fruit gum and that strange “doughy” thing that I get in some of Dammann’s other blends. It’s not bad, but it’s sort of a fruity and strange blob that sits on my tongue. I can’t pick anything out, unfortunately. I think this blend reminds me of a cup of juice in that it tastes decent, but lacks any sort of dimension.

December 23 – Advent 2014

Wow, this one smells strongly of marzipan. The black tea base balances out the marzipan flavour so it isn’t quite so strong, which is nice. It’s in the latter half and aftertaste of the sip, with the black tea in front. This is an enjoyable cup.

Thanks MirandaGou!