Noël à Venise

Black Fruit Blend
Butter, Caramel, Cream, Lemon, Pastries, Toffee, Lemon Zest, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 11 oz / 340 ml

• “Noël à Venise! I liked the DF advent calendar but I felt that all the other teas were a bit samey after a while. Orange, chocolate, cloves, or caramel. This one technically is toffee but all I...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Dammann advent calendar, day 12. Again, I used my current loose stock of this tea today instead of the sachet. I didn't think about the fact that I will now have a pile of awesome wrapped sachets...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1964 tasting notes
  • “soooo for those that don't know, earl grey cream always tastes like creamy lemon tea to me. this tea? for whatever reason, totally reminds me of that flavour. It's still a tasty tea but all i...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “I drank this tea in the morning but this is more an afternoon tea. To me the dry leaf scent is something like panettone's aroma. Probably due to the citrus present in the blend and in the...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 353 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

“Noël à Venise” flavored black tea

A marriage of black teas with lemon, meringue and toffee flavours, papaya bits, and flowers petals, that offers a rounded, balanced, and greedy infusion.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

Noël à Venise!

I liked the DF advent calendar but I felt that all the other teas were a bit samey after a while. Orange, chocolate, cloves, or caramel. This one technically is toffee but all I get is buttery vanilla and meyer lemon – quite a difference to the other teas in the box. It was the only one from the calendar that I considered a must order. (which just meant I got to order some new to me teas and hope for the best – so, silver linings!)

I’m not sure what it is about this tea, but it feels specifically designed for my palate. I was that girl who sucked on lemon wedges just because and I like vanilla and cream anything over chocolate, any day.

I was nervous about the transition from tea bag to loose leaf, though. Mostly I was worried about the teaspoon/gram amount. I solved this by weighing one of their sachets (2.4 grams) and just weighing out the dry leaf in a strainer. I don’t know why I was so nervous, I think it was because I’d had such a perfect first experience and didn’t know how subsequent ones would measure up.

It’s like I’ve forgotten Tea Lessons 101: loose leaf is always better.

Dry leaf – still sweet/tart lemon with a heavy cream undertone. The boyfriend, who rolled his eyes at me having to go outside the country to support my tea habit, did grudgingly admit it smelled good – a pastry tart, was his description. To me it’s also strongly reminiscent of Earl Grey Cream, but lemon and not bergamot.

The taste is just as perfect as I remember, too – great without additives, warm and comforting but not super heavy since the lemon is such a bright counterpoint. It is just fantastic, and the fact that I was able to replicate the experience is what is nudging it up to the 100.

Welcome home, Noël à Venise. You will always be a staple in my cupboard.

yyz

I’m so glad you found one you loved out of the experience! What else did you pick up?

Anna

Those eyerolls? They’re eyerolls of LOVE.

seriously..what else what else!

caile

Sounds perfect.

greenteafairy

This sounds wonderful!

JoonSusanna

I ended up going with this (which is now out of stock according to Dammann… WAH!), Figue Fraîche, and their Moroccan mint since it uses the traditional nana mint. The smallest amt. you can buy is 100 g. so with that in mind I only went with teas I was sure I would like. I’ve had all of them now though so I’ll be putting up notes in a minute!

yyz

It’s still available at cadeau- deco-vendome and the other place I listed. I’m glad you got yours though!

JoonSusanna

@yyz – thanks, I saw that, and it appears to have been restocked at DF’s website as well. This is good, because I had a slight throat-clutching panic stricken moment that this would be a seasonal offering only. Glad that’s not the case!

yyz

I hate that! Especially as this tea really has a year round flavour.

1964 tasting notes

Dammann advent calendar, day 12. Again, I used my current loose stock of this tea today instead of the sachet. I didn’t think about the fact that I will now have a pile of awesome wrapped sachets to take with me traveling around Christmas time, but that is one happy byproduct of already having some of the teas in the set.

Loving this one today! So lemony and creamy. I happily drank it up quickly. I’m glad I have plenty more of this in my cupboard still. :)

Amariel

Sounds yummy.

JoonSusanna

Sigh. So jealous you have some loose. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it since I had it. I’m thinking of asking for some for Christmas (if I can wait that long!)

soooo for those that don’t know, earl grey cream always tastes like creamy lemon tea to me. this tea? for whatever reason, totally reminds me of that flavour. It’s still a tasty tea but all i could think of while drinking it was earl grey cream…i don’t get much in the way of toffee flavour – this is really just a lemoney creamy tea for me. thanks so much to dinosara for letting me try this one!

Cavocorax

Creamy lemon is a good thing? It can be? But I didn’t know that’s why you don’t like EG’s so much. For me, I don’t like it when it’s too “perfumy” though I’ve only found a few that did that.

earl grey cream = yummy. earl greys = yucky bergamot. blech.

I drank this tea in the morning but this is more an afternoon tea.

To me the dry leaf scent is something like panettone’s aroma.
Probably due to the citrus present in the blend and in the recipe of Panettone.

The tea base is correct (mix of Ceylon and China blends)
Dammann’s promises were for a Lemon meringue pie & toffee.

Normally, with a Christmas tea, we expect an explosion of flavours.
Alas, it is not the case here.
The main flavours perceptible to me are lemon and toffee (more caramel than a real toffee).

I am a little bit disappointed with this Noël à Venise.
To be honest this is a good tea but a soon as drank, it’s immediatly forgotten… it’s not remaining any flavour in mouth. It’s a fleeting tea.

Disappointing for a DF tea and disappointing for a Christmas tea with such a Name and promise.

I won’t buy it again.

cteresa

I have been eyeing the Dammann Freres website (free shipping to western europe for orders above 40€! that is wonderful) and this was precisely one of the teas I was considering, thank you for your opinion, I do need some help bringing the order down to an amount not too shameful!

Ysaurella

Cteresa, I found a french website where you can order by 50gr the DF and they ship to Portugal (there are costs but you can order more teas to taste) here is the link if you read in French : http://www.cafes-couleurs-thes.com/thes-aromatises/

cteresa

Ah, thank you Ysaurella, it is very nice of you to check! I checked and I was oh so happy, they had Framboise and Macaron-Cassis-Violette which the main DF site does not have. But almost everything seems out of stock. Oh well, I am going to keep stalking the main DF site and try to refine my final order to a sensible ammount. I guess Charlotte au Chocolat is worth it? Oh, the fun it is to try to make this sort of list.

Ysaurella

hum weird because I looked the website for at least 15 teas and all were on stock. When they write : il y a du stock pour cette combinaison it means the tea is on stock (macaron cassis violette is on stock for example). Charlotte au chocolat is nice yes :)

cteresa

Oh, maybe it is just temporary. I for example am checking Macaron-Cassis-Violette (which I WANT!) and “Stock épuisé”. Framboise, Caramel-Toffee, Coquelicot Gourmand, les Marquises, Paul et Virginie, Prieuré, Riads,pomme d´amour. all out. Nuit à Versailles is the only one I clicked which was on stock (good thing). But I am going to keep checking, this could be such an awesome resource, sooner or later they will have something on stock!

And working on refining that shopping list – just checked your reviews, Pomme d´amour, jardin bleu and/or Paul et Virginie will be on the list certainly!

cteresa

and oh nevermind, I put 200 grams of what they had on stock on my shopping basket and checked their shipping costs to Portugal, figuring it would be the same more or less as if it was 4*50 grams. 16.15€! No! But thank you so much for letting me know, I always want to know of places where I can buy tea which send to me.

Ysaurella

the DF website is a brand new one…they changed everything ! in the past we can buy macaron cassis violette on line…

cteresa

I am quite enthusiastic about their new website, even if they do not have everything and only sell 100 grams, if the free shipping turns out to be true! Charlotte au Chocolat is crazily expensive, 14 euros for 100 grams, maybe I will skip it. I really got to go to Paris (and London!) to shop for tea live :) One of these days maybe!

Ysaurella

hum seems weird because in shop I paid too much for Charlotte au chocolat, normally (old website, it was 8 €/100 gr) and it is the correct price on many tea websites. Definitively strange and clearly this tea doesn’t deserve to be paid so much !

Day 12!

This one dry and brewed definitely reminds me of lemon meringue pie. Mmmm.

The brewed tea to me tastes like strawberries and toffee. The toffee is the dominant flavour. I know there is no strawberry in this blend, but that is how the “fruit” flavour is coming out to me. It also tastes creamy. As usual the black tea base is light, smooth and not at all astringent. For me, this one is sweet enough on its own, no need to add anything else.

While this one was hot, I found it did not taste like much other than hot water. But after it cooled a few degrees, the flavour really started materializing.

VariaTEA

OMG! My dashboard has not updated all day and all of a sudden this appeared. You are slowly fixing steepster, Lala!! haha.

Lala

I do what I can. Ha ha. I just suddenly popped up on mine too. If you ever want to see the reviews when the dashboard is frozen, just go into the explore tab, and closer to the bottom of the page click on tea reviews.

MissB

Mine too! I thought perhaps everyone was out working or shopping and logging later tonight. Yay!

Sil just informed me that another box is on it’s way! I’ve barely touched the box she sent last month, so I guess I’d better get my act together! This one is from that previous box, probably meant to entertain me during the HoliDaze season, but I was so busy in the month of December that I pretty much stuck to teas I know & love, for familiarity, comfort, & caffeine. This week I’ve been enjoying a reprieve, & it feels so good to just sit around a little bit. It’s almost noon, & I do have a some things to do, a few errands to run, some desk organizing work. But for now, I’ll enjoy a cup or 2.

This tea makes me think of a lovely lemon curd with a little crust under it, but it doesn’t quite capture what it’s aiming for, in my opinion. It’s not bad, but I would like a base that is a little thicker & chewier, if you know what I mean. Still, as an afternoon tea I can see that many people would enjoy it.

First sipdown of the New Year! 363!

This tea tastes of lightly floral lemon pie filling with a sweetened aftertaste from the caramel. There is a hint of vanilla and cool sugary meringue note. A smooth base underneath, adds a bit of depth and a touch of bitterness and pastry. This tea has a sweet aftertaste. More tartness from lemon appears as it cools and as Lala noticed the flavour intensifies. The flavour was very light when hot. A nice sweet lemon tea with the caramel adding a warmth and richness to the tea.

mmmmm…

gmathis

Mercy…these people need to hire you to write their catalog copy. I’m drooling on the keyboard.

Fjellrev

You seriously make this sound wicked fantastic.

Yikes. Poor ingredient list here. Started drinking it, and immediately had a reaction. Strawberries. Must be. Searched my calendar (where this came from) for ingredients: nope. Just that it’s “lemon meringue and toffee” flavored black tea. Went online and searched, and the French description mentions fruit pieces (just general “fruit”) and red rose petals. Sigh. Dumped.

JustJames

sigh…. yes, i risk things with my french tea habit as well. they can be very proprietary about listings because of their partnership with the parfumeries. at least with nina’s you can contact laurent and sophie directly and they will triple check everything for you. xoxo. feel better.

OMGsrsly

Boo. :(

MissB

Oddly, this tasted very soapy to me as well, so I was okay with dumping it.

Fjellrev

Aww no, that sucks. :(

another sample from the dammann advent calendar.

i’m watching Leviathan now. it’s an experimental film so it’s not for everyone.
it is an unedited and raw and crystalized visual window into time spent of an industrial fishing boat in the middle of the ocean.
but it is making me think about so many things i never would think of otherwise! so good!
often times the ocean sounds just like contemporary orchestral music. and the life of everything just keeps pushing on.

i took this from wikipedia but i think it says a lot about the film in a good way
…the film “plunges us into the sights and sounds of this visceral business”, … raw images and natural sounds. Edited together into a non-linear and virtually wordless whole, it creates a briny immersive effect that is almost hallucinatory." … the film “conveys the brutal toll that the enterprise takes on the workers and on the ocean, …the sea threatens to exact its revenge on humanity. … avoids exposition and context, unfolds almost entirely in the dark and often verges on hallucinatory abstraction. Where most documentaries prize clarity, this one attests to the power of estrangement.”

estrangement! that’s why i’m having such an experience. it’s definitely my style.
at home floating and alone. or also like Frances Ha said “I like things that look like mistakes”.

oddree

Yes, like listening to a live orchestra or going to the opera and just letting your mind drift all over the place. Plus the ocean, which is as awesome as you can get.

Shmiracles

the ocean is a fucking serious beautiful monster.

1945 tasting notes

Sipdown (155/161)!

Damnit guys, many apologies to Cavocorax and Courtney; I’m not sure why but I seem to have the shittiest memory when it comes to blends I got from you two and I’m consistently unsure which one of you things are from. I have no clue why I confuse stuff sent from you both! I’m pretty sure this is a Courtney tea? But maybe not. And then, if this is from neither of you then super apologies to whoever it was from.

I put off having this because the dry leaf smelled like… Nothing.

Turns out that was a mistake; I’ve never had a Lemon/Caramel mixed blend but damn this was amazing! It was super rich, creamy lemon – definitely meringue like as promised! And the toffee? So good. Like, it was light handed but still very rich and sticky sweet. And the black base was very, very smooth! I was excited and in love the whole time! If I had to describe this one in a single word I think I’d pick “sexy”.

So this one…

On the wishlist, big time. I want more. Good thing I think I know someone who can get me some! Hehehe…

Flavors: Butter, Caramel, Cream, Lemon, Pastries, Toffee

Anna

Cavocortnax.

Also yay! Glad to see you enjoying DF so much.

Roswell Strange

I swear it’s the "C"s and the fact my stuff from them came so close together that messes me up.

C is for cookie..it’s good enough to eat..