Velours Nacré

Almond, Cream, Malt, Orange, Pastries
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “C'est grace a ma chere ysaurella que j'ai eu la chance d'essayer cette beaute! i have done it! i have worked out my algorithmic happiness with damman freres blends! with each sample that...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 379 tasting notes
  • “And this is a sipdown! Somehow the almond flavours seem warmer and more comforting today than before. It's almost thick in my mouth with all that flavour. Very nice! Definitely beats Boston...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Oh the love I have acquired for these French teas! and all thanks to *MissB* and *Dexter3567* for sharing a million different companies and teas just because they wanted to! :) steepster friends...” Read full tasting note
    Mnoelle225 206 tasting notes
  • “I'm finding this to be more almond than chocolate. Real, natural almond, hints of chocolate - not getting any orange. This is good, but not my favorite Dammann tea.” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 738 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

“Velours Nacré” flavored black tea

A blend of black teas with the warm notes of chocolate and almond, enhanced with a dash of essential blood orange oil to offer a decidedly delicious tea ! (orange peels)

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

C’est grace a ma chere ysaurella que j’ai eu la chance d’essayer cette beaute!

with each sample that ysaurella sent me of damman freres i have loved the smell of the blend, but each time the steep fell short!!!
as predicted, operator error…. and now i know how i like it.

1.5 five times the recommended amount, with a 6 minute steep. precisely. each time. and i love them that way!

under these parameters i got all of the expected brilliance of this blend. i got creamed roasted chestnuts, almonds, hazelnuts… a very gentle floral contribution without perfume.

i liked this one with cream and sugar.

brilliant.

and now i know how to prepare it!

Anna

Oh, I have to write this down, FOR FUTURE REFERENCE. tracks her Dammann Frères package obsessively

glad you liked this one

Fuzzy_Peachkin

Good to know!

JustJames

for the life of me i could not figure out what i was doing wrong…. but i have it nailed now, lol.

ahem, and i just got off the phone with my mother who has happily agreed ‘to support your granny tea habit’ (ie: give me money for tea from mariage freres and damman freres). granny? GRANNY??? grandmothers are great, don’t get me wrong, but 1) i’m a guy and 2) what part of tea is granny-ish? lol.

OMGsrsly

Your mom is pretty funny. :) Thankfully my mom is also really into tea. She didn’t even blink when I spent all my birthday money on tea!

JustJames

my mom and i are very different people. last year she bought me a crate of wine… 14 bottles? thing is— if it’s not tea then i’m not a big drinker. not wine, not even water! i still have bottles left over!

it was a really nice thought… last year we went with her thought, this year i’d prefer to go with mine. sure, i’ll play the part of old man with mariage freres in my cup. lol.

OMGsrsly

Here’s hoping that wine will age well. Thankfully my mom knows I don’t drink much. She always offers, but then follows up with juice or tea options!

JustJames

hahahahaha! yay mom! i remember when i was in first year uni thinking that drinking might be fun…. i think i did it once or twice? but both times i got to the ‘totally blitzed’ stage and thought ‘okay, i want to be sober now’. course it doesn’t work that way, lol. so aside from cooking with it and the odd glass i just abstain. not my style.

to each their own…. but for me— tea!

i would totally do a tea party with you and your mom! i talk with friends about it frequently. the reaction is always the same: they look at me like i’m nuts and then hear what i have and start booking time on their calendars. heh heh.

OMGsrsly

:D One of my friends did a tea party, cooked with tea, served matching teas, the whole works. I wasn’t feeling well so I didn’t get to go, but it sounded SO awesome.

My mom is an unflavoured tea person. Anything with a flavour, and she wrinkles her nose in disgust. :)

And this is a sipdown! Somehow the almond flavours seem warmer and more comforting today than before. It’s almost thick in my mouth with all that flavour. Very nice! Definitely beats Boston Blend (H&S), although I don’t know that I would order any.

(152)

Oh the love I have acquired for these French teas! and all thanks to MissB and Dexter3567 for sharing a million different companies and teas just because they wanted to! :) steepster friends are generous it’s crazy! We steepsters are collectors of tea. Usually collectors don’t usually share their collections and that is why I love steepster! We are u like usual collectors.

Anyways… This lovely came from Dex and oh man! Boston blend from H&S… By far this one beats it out! How do these French companies do it?! Perfection all bundled up in each tea! How does a girl get a job there? One can dream…

For breakfast I had some chocolate chunk hazelnut biscotti granola cereal and I remembered I had some French tea that resembled this from my box from Dex I just had no idea which kne so I went through them all looking at them trying to narrow them down by smell and look before I looked them all up trying to find this gem!

Anyways… Back to the tea! This is decadent, luxurious, indulgent, grand, sinister almost. It’s too good to be true. Creamy, nutty, citrusy, and a touch of floral. A perfect balance of all of these fine ingredients! I do recommend sugar and a touch of milk to make this tea all that more sinful!

This tea has such an innocence to it that you feel guilty drinking it.
If you didn’t know better, you wouldn’t guess this was tea.

Anyways, I wish I could but this. The tins they come in are so quaint and would look amazing on my tea cart.

Delicious!

yyz

We’ve found two places in France where you can buy DF teas for cheaper shipping and sometimes cheaper prices than the Dammann site ( though DF does have cheaper shipping than most of the big French tea co.)
http://www.cadeau-deco-vendome.com/en/dammann-freres-teas-xsl-247_268.html. There are more teas under the Christmas headings.
http://www.chocolathe.fr/groupederubrique/index.html. this one is in French only.

Shipping is usually pretty quick too.

BrewTEAlly Sweet

$35 including shipping for this tea:/ same on with the DF site too:( thanks anyways though!

yyz

Is that because of the tin?

Its 4.75 plus 8 euro shipping at cadeau Deco vendome, without a tin.

I’m finding this to be more almond than chocolate. Real, natural almond, hints of chocolate – not getting any orange. This is good, but not my favorite Dammann tea.

BrewTEAlly Sweet

Love this one! Love that u sent me it! Love them all! I just hate I can’t purchase them for a decent price.

Velours nacré is a tea I have never heard about before ordering it to complete my Dammann teas order.I wasn’t expecting too much from this tea as I didn’t choice it really and just went for it to access the free shipping for my parcel.

This is a yummy tea.Very greedy with its almonds and chocolate aromas.
The fact of adding a splash of orange blood to the blend is really a nice idea. It adds some depth to the blend.

The orange lingers a long time after having finished the cup

Really delicious to begin the day.

LaFleurBleue

I love the name of this tea – Pearly Velvet, it sounds so luxurious and almost decadent.

Ysaurella

yes there is kinda decadence in this blend !

TheTeaFairy

I just looove how the French tea houses name their teas!

mmmmm thank you missb! another almond flavoured tea that i quite like, though i’m not sure this surpasses the others from Damman freres that i love. Another smooth tea with a base that i enjoy. I don’t really get the blood orange taste that is supposedly in this one, so maybe thats why it seems similar to the other DF almond teas that i’ve had. However, still a pleasant tea :)

Edit: 163…whee!

Anna

Can’t I just give you my Dammann Frères teas, and you send me an equal amount of Lupicia teas? Everyone happy.

Terri HarpLady

She’ll probably do it, Anna!

1/30/14 Afternoon cup. 1tsp/6oz/212F/5min. Maybe this was over leafed? Very dark in the cup, with a scent of chocolate and marzipan. It doesn’t really taste of anything but bitter, though. Or it could just be me today.

AnnaEA

It was too hot. After a nice cool down the bitter has cleared up, and there’s a gentle black tea/marzipan flavor going on.

yyz

That seems to be true of a lot of Dammann Teas. You have to wait for them to cool down a little to get the full impact of their flavours.

This is a sample that was graciously sent to me by the lovely Ysaurella.

Another dessert tea – do you see a pattern here? I live for them. Velours Nacré is very comforting, kind of like its name (perly velvet). It’s basically on a mission to choke you with tenderness. Love the chocolate in this and the smell of the dry tea is so divine. The orange’s a nice addition, I didn’t think I would like it but definitely enhances the depth of the chocolate and almond. It’s the perfect cocoon.

Ysaurella

I didn’t find it so far from Mélange des Chérubins finally execpt on the almond’s presence. I am happy you liked this one too :)

This was a sample from TeaTiff. The leaves are very small and somewhat broken, and almost black in color. There are a few ivory-colored flower petals mixed in along with a few other bits and bobs that I can’t identify. Dry scent is vaguely sweet and dessert-y, I can pick out almond but not necessarily chocolate.

Mm, aroma! Steeped, this tea smells heavily of cream along with some almond and orange. This tea is almost creamsicle-y, but with more emphasis on the cream than the orange. I’m not really getting any chocolate, but there’s definitely an almond pastry flavor, which is quite lovely. This tea brings to mind some kind of orange and almond-flavored tea cake with glaze. I’m sure a touch of sugar would bring out the dessert flavors even more.

Flavors: Almond, Cream, Malt, Orange, Pastries

Thanks to MissB I finally got to try this one! I really enjoyed it!
It kind of tastes like a cookie. Sweet, almondy. I would love to have more to really overleaf so that I could make the flavours pop.

Wishlisted!