Passion de Fleurs

Apricot, Passionfruit, Rose Petals, White Tea
Apricot, Creamy, Hay, Oats, Passion Fruits, Rose, Sweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “In the bag, just what I was looking for - lushly and ripely fruity, with a nice complexity - it smells like passion fruit and apricot/peach compote, if there was ever such a thing. (The brewed tea,...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes
  • “I haven't had this tea in a long time and so I actually did look it up to see about my prior steeping parameters, so I found out that this is a somewhat tempermental white tea and that I should...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2029 tasting notes
  • “This tea smells so yummy! It reminds me of a juice box I had when I was a little kid... some kind of fruit punch, only more delicate. I get the feeling that this one could get very bitter if...” Read full tasting note
    QueenOfTarts 560 tasting notes
  • “*Dammann Frères Advent Calendar - December 8th* Ooh, this is the first white tea of the calendar! I do enjoy white tea, though it's not something I drink often. Judging by the ingredients listed,...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 827 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

Delicious white tea, composed by the subtle rose, apricot and passion perfumes, sprinkled with rose petals. Brewing time

Délicatesse du thé blanc alliée à la subtilité des parfums de rose, d’abricot et de passion.
L’ensemble parsemé de pétales de rose offre à la dégustation une tasse fraîche et parfumée.

About Dammann Freres View company

In the bag, just what I was looking for – lushly and ripely fruity, with a nice complexity – it smells like passion fruit and apricot/peach compote, if there was ever such a thing. (The brewed tea, on the other hand, smells like wet fruit leaf.)

Taste wise, well – I tried this at 90 degrees C for 4 minutes, before reading Dinosara’s notes on bitterness. And no, this is not a particularly tolerant tea – the whites I’ve been drinking lately steep at 80 or so degrees C for 7 minutes without acquiring the slightest hint of astringency, but no such luck in this case.

Before the bitterness strikes, though, the taste mimics the scent of the dry tea very nicely – it’s seems more flavourful than the greens from DF I’ve tried lately, which is a happy surprise. However, it’s not overly complex, and this combined with the lack of steeping suggestions (always bad when it comes to a finicky tea) and my now fairly established lack of awe when it comes to DF teas, which probably makes me somewhat prejudiced, this is no favourite.

As it cools, the bitterness mellows out quite well, as previously reported. Unfortunately, so does the flavour itself.

[From my epic Instant-Thé order to Rome, October 2013.]

Fjellrev

Too bad the passionfruit wasn’t more prominent!

Anna

No, but the main note was definitely passion fruit, so if you’re into that, you should try it. I’ll experiment some more with the steeping and keep you posted.

Fjellrev

Nice, that’s good to know.

2029 tasting notes

I haven’t had this tea in a long time and so I actually did look it up to see about my prior steeping parameters, so I found out that this is a somewhat tempermental white tea and that I should steep it at a low temp. I also reduced my leaf amount a bit this time.

Well, it turned out pretty delicious, and I have to bump my score up some notches. Way passion fruity with floral notes that don’t scream rose, but do add a nice rich floral flavor that I appreciate. At a lower temp it is a bit more complex, although I have to admit the white tea here does little for the overall flavor. I can just imagine this with a creamy yunnan white and how amazing it would be then! I will have to remember to add this to my regular rotation, although I doubt I will order more after it’s done.

ETA: ugh I had to try to submit this note like five times!

This tea smells so yummy! It reminds me of a juice box I had when I was a little kid… some kind of fruit punch, only more delicate. I get the feeling that this one could get very bitter if oversteeped.

Sipping… mmm, the flavors in this tea are so special and so unique! I taste the passionfruit, but also the lovely rose. The two blend together flawlessly! They are so well balanced that the tea doesn’t taste like perfume when it very well could. The white tea stays in the background and really only comes out at the end of the sip. I’m glad that it’s not bitter, but adds just a little sharpness to the fruit and flowers.

I never would have thought to purchase this tea, but it’s delicious and unique! Quite tasty.

December 8 – Advent 2014

Dammann Frères Advent Calendar – December 8th

Ooh, this is the first white tea of the calendar! I do enjoy white tea, though it’s not something I drink often. Judging by the ingredients listed, this is a possible flower bomb tea. We shall see. I was quite surprised by how crushed the white tea leaves are inside the sachet. The pieces are very small, almost like a generic tea bag with fannings. I think I can see a few bits of flower petals, but it’s difficult to say. Dry scent is sweet-tart apricot and passion fruit with just a bit of rose. I had originally planned and started a 3-minute steep, but I was worried about bitterness from those tiny leaf pieces so I took it out about 15-20 seconds early.

Once the tea is steeped, the powdery rose is more evident in the aroma, though I can still smell the lovely fruits. The rose is definitely the strongest player here, but it’s not so overpowering as to make me not want to drink the cup. It also plays quite nicely with the hay-like, slightly creamy white tea base. I can taste a bit of apricot and passion fruit in the background, and they do come out a little more at the end of the sip. I do wish the fruit flavors had a stronger role here, and they would help temper the rose just a bit more. Overall, this is better than I thought it would be, but I’m going to withhold my rating because I know I’m biased against floral teas. :P

Flavors: Apricot, Creamy, Hay, Oats, Passion Fruits, Rose, Sweet

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 45 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Day 8. A brand new tea to me.

This one smells strongly floral, rose petal floral. There were under notes of what I first assumed to be strawberry. I then read the ingredients and realized it was apricot and on tasting the tea again, I can agree that is was apricot.

This tea is fairly good. Slightly chemical tasting due to what I am assuming is the rose fragrance. But the Rose and apricot flavours go really well together. This feels like a really fancy tea. The white tea base is not terribly smooth, a bit of astringency but I had some brewing problems so it could be due to that. The tea is very thick and juicy tasting.

So it is my habit when brewing a tea bag, I always fill the cup with the hot water then put the tea bag it. I dislike when you pour hot water over a tea bag and it puffs up and floats to the tops. So I put my water in the cup, threw in the tea bag and turned my back for about 2 minutes. I could smell the beautiful aroma of the tea. When I turned out I realized that only the smaller corner of the tea bag was in the water, the rest of the bag getting somehow stuck on the rim of the cup, holding itself out of the water. So I put the tea bag in the water for another two minutes. But ther was a small portion of tea that had already been steeping. So I think that might have changed the flavour profile a bit. #teabagprobs

Cameron B.

Stupid puffed-up tea bags! :P

Same ingredients, and tastes about the same than Monoprix Gourmet’s “Blanc Parfumé”.

Flavors: Apricot