Passion de Fleurs

Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sivasubramanian

2 Images

From Dammann Freres

Delicious white tea, composed by the subtle rose, apricot and passion perfumes, sprinkled with rose petals. Brewing time

Délicatesse du thé blanc alliée à la subtilité des parfums de rose, d’abricot et de passion.
L’ensemble parsemé de pétales de rose offre à la dégustation une tasse fraîche et parfumée.

About Dammann Freres View company

In the bag, just what I was looking for – lushly and ripely fruity, with a nice complexity – it smells like passion fruit and apricot/peach compote, if there was ever such a thing. (The brewed tea, on the other hand, smells like wet fruit leaf.)

Taste wise, well – I tried this at 90 degrees C for 4 minutes, before reading Dinosara’s notes on bitterness. And no, this is not a particularly tolerant tea – the whites I’ve been drinking lately steep at 80 or so degrees C for 7 minutes without acquiring the slightest hint of astringency, but no such luck in this case.

Before the bitterness strikes, though, the taste mimics the scent of the dry tea very nicely – it’s seems more flavourful than the greens from DF I’ve tried lately, which is a happy surprise. However, it’s not overly complex, and this combined with the lack of steeping suggestions (always bad when it comes to a finicky tea) and my now fairly established lack of awe when it comes to DF teas, which probably makes me somewhat prejudiced, this is no favourite.

As it cools, the bitterness mellows out quite well, as previously reported. Unfortunately, so does the flavour itself.

[From my epic Instant-Thé order to Rome, October 2013.]

Fjellrev

Too bad the passionfruit wasn’t more prominent!

Anna

No, but the main note was definitely passion fruit, so if you’re into that, you should try it. I’ll experiment some more with the steeping and keep you posted.

Fjellrev

Nice, that’s good to know.

1957 tasting notes

Here’s an odd thing: I brewed a cup of this tea without looking at my previous note, so I didn’t see that I had found it bitter at 195°F for 3 minutes before and that I wanted to brew it at a cooler temp. But as it turns out, this cup wasn’t bitter at those parameters. Very odd.

Today this cup was relatively smooth and had nice, authentic passion fruit flavor. Again, I did not find this to be a particularly floral cup despite the promise of rose in the blend. I guess if I think about it I can kind of taste the rose in the aftertaste. Maybe I just don’t notice the rose because rose and passion fruit sometimes have a seamless relationship in my mind. Certainly this is a nice passion fruit white tea, but not really one I would have to keep in my cupboard; that may be more to do with the fact that it is a white tea (not something I crave often) than with anything else.

Same ingredients, and tastes about the same than Monoprix Gourmet’s “Blanc Parfumé”.

Flavors: Apricot