Pu-Erh Gourmand

Pu-erh Tea
Caramel, Earth, Smooth, Wood, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “mmm had a cup of this to kick start my day. Sometimes it’s nice to have a flavoured puerh and a straight one on the go at the same time heh. Still really enjoying this one, so i may need to...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 7475 tasting notes
  • “It’s all Sil’s fault. I wasn’t going to have another cup, but she just had to dangle that tasting note in front of me. This smells insane. Going by the dry tea alone I understand...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 303 tasting notes
  • “This is another one of those, if I loved puerh I would be in love with this tea. Still, I definitely enjoy it all the same; it just takes me a bit to reorient my flavor and scent expectations for a...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes
  • “This came my way from JustJames – another tea I would never have tried if not for you, so thank you! The flavours in this puerh are really prominent. The first flavour that jumps out is the...” Read full tasting note
    scribbles 286 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

“Pu-Erh Gourmand” flavored dark tea

The warm and woody notes of Pu-Erh tea from China mixed with a cocktail of delidous aromas: biscuit, caramel, vanilla, sweet almond and heliotrope. Can be drunk iced. (flower petals)

Brewing time: 3 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

mmm had a cup of this to kick start my day. Sometimes it’s nice to have a flavoured puerh and a straight one on the go at the same time heh. Still really enjoying this one, so i may need to put i on the list for someday when i get to go back to france/uk sigh

Anna

I love this one SO MUCH. Remind me, and I’ll drop in an extra bag for you next time I place a DF order.

ashmanra

Ooo, I wonder if the kids can pick this up for me in Ireland?

it’s deliciously good! and resteeps well

gmathis

Do you know how jealous I am of your personal European tea shoppers? ;)

Anna

I’d be a personal Euro tea slave for anyone with access to Lupicia, just saying…

I wish I had a personal European shopper! I’m just lucky with folks who are willing to swap with me ;)

ashmanra

I don’t know if they sell it anywhere there and can’t find anything on google as to where! Waaaaaah! I really wa….NEED this!

This smells insane. Going by the dry tea alone I understand all the hype when it comes to the famed Dammann Frères caramel notes, because this is all lush caramel and vanilla… and pu-erh. This particular pu-erh really is like drinking an exquisite, wooden box, polished to perfection.

Steeped, its flavour mimics what a room in my house in the country smells like on certain days – down to the very last nuance. It used to be my grandmother’s room, and her fine, carved wooden box from India is still there. She always had caramel toffees, so I keep some in there for her ghost… and that’s what’s in this cup exactly.

It’s almost a little too freaky – a little too close to home, a little too intimate.

But still absolutely wonderful.

[From my epic Instant-Thé order to Rome, October 2013.]

lol and my review was just so amazing too haha really glad you loved it too though :)

JustJames

well, any hopes i had of leftover birthday money sure are evaporating quickly!

Anna

Haha, Sil, your review was one big teaser – I just HAD to know for myself.

And JustJames, money is for tea. It’s its purpose. Trust me. I’m very old.

This is another one of those, if I loved puerh I would be in love with this tea. Still, I definitely enjoy it all the same; it just takes me a bit to reorient my flavor and scent expectations for a puerh.

I love the caramel-cookie notes in this, and how rich and sweet it is. I would actually restock this one as I do like to keep one puerh around. I have no problem drinkinga big cup of this one, which is not something I can say about most puerhs.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

This is awesome.

The flavours in this puerh are really prominent. The first flavour that jumps out is the almond, followed by sweet and creamy vanilla and caramel. For the second steep the almond disappeared but I still tasted the caramel and vanilla.

I really enjoyed this one. Vanilla and caramel is just so good.

i really like this one

JustJames

me too….. i keep fiddling with it trying to find the way i like it. my steeps keep getting interrupted!!! the phone rings, or something crashes and then 10 minutes later i mutter (okay, probably yell) an expletive and try to salvage it. every single time!

Didn’t particularly enjoyed this tea. Flavours too subtle, pu’erh base not interesting enough. Just taste like a regular pu’erh (at least to me [many people seems to enjoy it])

I actually have two samples of this tea – one from Stephanie and one from ashmanra. Sorry ladies, I dunno how that happened. I’m not the hugest puerh fan, but I find some flavored puerhs can be quite tasty. The loose puerh here is a dark chocolate brown color. Dry scent is earthy but sweet with a touch of cinnamon?

Hmm… I’m actually not getting a lot of additional flavor here besides the puerh itself. And I will say, this puerh is earthy but it’s extremely smooth and there’s no fishy taste at all. I can perhaps taste a tiny touch of caramel? I think the vanilla may be hidden by the fact that the puerh is pretty woody and vanilla is sometimes woody as well. It’s not bad, but it tastes like a straight puerh to me.

Flavors: Caramel, Earth, Smooth, Wood

Stephanie

I think this is the one I called a dirty sexy scone, LOL

Cameron B.

LOL. Love it! :P

Almonette cookies.

Like, you know those gorgeous, delicately flavoured, perfectly crumbly iced cookies Voortman makes? Man, those were my favourite when I lived in Canada. I didn’t realise how much I missed them until I had this tea, and it was the same gloriously biscuitty, just a hint of almondiness, buttery gorgeousness, bolstered by a really nice backbone of earthy pu erh. I’m on my second steep of this and having au naturel this time after trying it first with milk. Yeah. This is a winner. I expect this one will stay in rotation in my cupboard until you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

hoards

Fjellrev

OMG, those were my favourite growing up. I had no idea they were called that since our local grocery store just had all of them bulk, so they were “seashell cookies” to me haha.

ashmanra

I am nearly out of this one, :(

Sami Kelsh

I used to get them from the bulk section too! Those were the glorious days. I didn’t even know they still made them until I HAD to do a google search to recall the name of the thing this tea reminded me of. SO GOOD.

Wowzers, this is one of the best flavored puerhs I’ve had! It tastes like a sweet almond cookie or maybe a scone with an orange glaze. Slightly earthy puerh undertone. Dirty sexy French scone! hahaha! YUM :)

Cameron B.

Yum, sounds amazing. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear to be included in my advent calendar. :(

Note 1400, plus sipdown!

I really enjoyed this tea this morning, with a splash of cream. Nice and strong and rich. Definitely caramel and vanilla. Mmm. I steeped just over 4 minutes, too. (My usual is 3!) I needed something delicious and comforting, and this worked quite well. :)

Thank you to… Dinosara for sharing the sample with me!

Woohooo! Go you!

OMGsrsly

I have tried at least 615 teas. At least, because random things I have get put in random steepings or something similar. That’s a lot of teas.

That’s fantastic!

NofarS

Wow! Keep it up!

OMGsrsly

For me, yeah! :) I’m not a hardened tea drinker like you. I’m afraid my slosh-capacity is pretty low. ;)

OMGsrsly

I’ll probably slow down in tea types, at least until I wade through the gazillion samples and teas I currently have. :) I’m still drinking 3-4 mugs a day, though!

I have not had a lot of pu erhs before but this certainly would be at the top of the list. The vanilla and caramel are wonderful together. Very smooth and moth filling. Can tea be round? That is how it tastes to me. Fills up all the corners of my mouth. Yum!

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla