Pu-Erh Gourmand

Pu-erh Tea
Caramel, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

3 Images

• “mmm had a cup of this to kick start my day. Sometimes it's nice to have a flavoured puerh and a straight one on the go at the same time heh. Still really enjoying this one, so i may need to put i...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “Tonight I've decided to treat myself with some pizza. I ordered a vegetarian, with extra, extra, extra olives. When the delivery guy handed me the box, first I thought, hmmm, good looking dude....” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 404 tasting notes
  • “It's all Sil's fault. I wasn't going to have another cup, but she just had to dangle that tasting note in front of me. This smells insane. Going by the dry tea alone I understand all the hype...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes
  • “This is another one of those, if I loved puerh I would be in love with this tea. Still, I definitely enjoy it all the same; it just takes me a bit to reorient my flavor and scent expectations for a...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1979 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

“Pu-Erh Gourmand” flavored dark tea

The warm and woody notes of Pu-Erh tea from China mixed with a cocktail of delidous aromas: biscuit, caramel, vanilla, sweet almond and heliotrope. Can be drunk iced. (flower petals)

Brewing time: 3 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

mmm had a cup of this to kick start my day. Sometimes it’s nice to have a flavoured puerh and a straight one on the go at the same time heh. Still really enjoying this one, so i may need to put i on the list for someday when i get to go back to france/uk sigh

Anna

I love this one SO MUCH. Remind me, and I’ll drop in an extra bag for you next time I place a DF order.

ashmanra

Ooo, I wonder if the kids can pick this up for me in Ireland?

it’s deliciously good! and resteeps well

gmathis

Do you know how jealous I am of your personal European tea shoppers? ;)

Anna

I’d be a personal Euro tea slave for anyone with access to Lupicia, just saying…

I wish I had a personal European shopper! I’m just lucky with folks who are willing to swap with me ;)

ashmanra

I don’t know if they sell it anywhere there and can’t find anything on google as to where! Waaaaaah! I really wa….NEED this!

Tonight I’ve decided to treat myself with some pizza. I ordered a vegetarian, with extra, extra, extra olives.

When the delivery guy handed me the box, first I thought, hmmm, good looking dude. Then, I smelled the culprit: pepperoni.

I don’t do pepperoni. Haven’t eaten pepperoni on pizza in ages. The guy apologies and offers to bring another one. I see that I got my extra, extra, extra olives and decide I don’t feel like waiting another hour. I say, nah, forget about it, guess it won’t kill me for this one time only.

I tried to remove them, but not such a good idea when you want your cheese to remain on the pizza. So I ended up eating most of the pepperonis. Now I have a funny belly feeling (remember my KD binge last week? Very reminiscent of that!)

So pu-pu is in order! I go through Sil ‘s package and fetch this. I’m so happy she threw it in our recent swap.

I’m salivating once the hot water hits the leaves. The aroma. Yum.

This tastes as if caramel and vanilla happened to grow on the tea, as if they’re not an addition to it, but part of it. that’s how natural it feels…I get no almond, but it’s ok, I don’t want it.

It provides a round and a full mouthfeel. Sweet but not overly.

I’m drinking it au naturel, but I can understand how well it could sustain milk or creamer.

The perfect tea to end a meal and make the belly happy!

Thanks for another hit, Sil :-)

P.S. How sweet, as I was writing this, cute delivery pizza guy came back…he brought another pizza for free, extra-extra-extra olives, no pepperoni!! Lol, who’s hungry???

__Morgana__

Awww, that’s so nice! Too bad you’d already eaten the pepperoni!

TheTeaFairy

I know right? I gave him a very generous tip, will eat cold pizza tomorrow :-)

OMGsrsly

I vote for pizza for breakfast. :)

TheTeaFairy

Ok, but I’ll have to make a large pot of pu-pu and run on the treadmill for two hours!!!

Stephanie

This tea sounds good :)

Fjellrev

Awesome customer service!

TheTeaFairy

Stephanie, this is good quality stuff.

Fjellrev, it’s just a small joint, but they’re so nice and they make the best pizza ever. It goes to show that small is BETTER sometimes, lol!

yay! so glad you liked this one :)

TheTeaFairy

So happy I got to try it, but so sad it is a sipdown :-(

this is one that can be easily ordered from the cadeau vendommes site, so when you get your cupboard back in order it will be there…waiting :)

TheTeaFairy

I will regret asking this but…can you give me the link? Never heard of them ( sigh…regrets)

it’s relatively inexpensive for shipping compared to a number of places in france :)

OMGsrsly

I even refreshed before I pasted the link and clicked “add comment”!

hahaha

TheTeaFairy

Aww, thanks to both of you…will sure bookmark and check them out…when the cup-hoard is down that is…

TheTeaFairy

But, but…there was only 3 pu’erh gourmand left in stock…but, but…I had a 16$ credit on paypal account…but, but…it costed me only the equivalent 21$ Can after credit was applied…for 3 different 100g Dammann teas!!! I feel so good…(and bad) right now. I was a naughty fairy today. Major cupboard explosion ahead.

yyz

They offer a pretty good service. I’ve ordered from them twice and got my teas within a week each time enjoy!

TheTeaFairy

Yyz, now I’m gonna dream about getting my order within a week, thanks for letting me know!!

It’s all Sil’s fault. I wasn’t going to have another cup, but she just had to dangle that tasting note in front of me.

This smells insane. Going by the dry tea alone I understand all the hype when it comes to the famed Dammann Frères caramel notes, because this is all lush caramel and vanilla… and pu-erh. This particular pu-erh really is like drinking an exquisite, wooden box, polished to perfection.

Steeped, its flavour mimics what a room in my house in the country smells like on certain days – down to the very last nuance. It used to be my grandmother’s room, and her fine, carved wooden box from India is still there. She always had caramel toffees, so I keep some in there for her ghost… and that’s what’s in this cup exactly.

It’s almost a little too freaky – a little too close to home, a little too intimate.

But still absolutely wonderful.

[From my epic Instant-Thé order to Rome, October 2013.]

lol and my review was just so amazing too haha really glad you loved it too though :)

JustJames

well, any hopes i had of leftover birthday money sure are evaporating quickly!

Anna

Haha, Sil, your review was one big teaser – I just HAD to know for myself.

And JustJames, money is for tea. It’s its purpose. Trust me. I’m very old.

1979 tasting notes

This is another one of those, if I loved puerh I would be in love with this tea. Still, I definitely enjoy it all the same; it just takes me a bit to reorient my flavor and scent expectations for a puerh.

I love the caramel-cookie notes in this, and how rich and sweet it is. I would actually restock this one as I do like to keep one puerh around. I have no problem drinkinga big cup of this one, which is not something I can say about most puerhs.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

This is awesome.

This came my way from JustJames – another tea I would never have tried if not for you, so thank you!

The flavours in this puerh are really prominent. The first flavour that jumps out is the almond, followed by sweet and creamy vanilla and caramel. For the second steep the almond disappeared but I still tasted the caramel and vanilla.

I really enjoyed this one. Vanilla and caramel is just so good.

i really like this one

JustJames

me too….. i keep fiddling with it trying to find the way i like it. my steeps keep getting interrupted!!! the phone rings, or something crashes and then 10 minutes later i mutter (okay, probably yell) an expletive and try to salvage it. every single time!

Note 1400, plus sipdown!

I really enjoyed this tea this morning, with a splash of cream. Nice and strong and rich. Definitely caramel and vanilla. Mmm. I steeped just over 4 minutes, too. (My usual is 3!) I needed something delicious and comforting, and this worked quite well. :)

Thank you to… Dinosara for sharing the sample with me!

Woohooo! Go you!

OMGsrsly

I have tried at least 615 teas. At least, because random things I have get put in random steepings or something similar. That’s a lot of teas.

That’s fantastic!

NofarS

Wow! Keep it up!

OMGsrsly

For me, yeah! :) I’m not a hardened tea drinker like you. I’m afraid my slosh-capacity is pretty low. ;)

OMGsrsly

I’ll probably slow down in tea types, at least until I wade through the gazillion samples and teas I currently have. :) I’m still drinking 3-4 mugs a day, though!

I have not had a lot of pu erhs before but this certainly would be at the top of the list. The vanilla and caramel are wonderful together. Very smooth and moth filling. Can tea be round? That is how it tastes to me. Fills up all the corners of my mouth. Yum!

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla

mj

LOL :)

I have only ever bought one pu’erh for myself. Everything else I’ve tried has been courtesy of generous, kind folks like Dexter3657 and TheTeaFairy and one other. These opportunities to try the bizarreness that is pu’erh I will forever be thankful for.

This one I find tolerable. I can taste pu’erh so I had to add caramel creamer some stuff to it to actually enjoy it. I do recognize that to others might taste good. If it’s tolerable to me that’s saying a lot! I can see how one day if I persevere I could like this.

Thank you to TheTeaFairy but … This is far from gourmand for me. Or maybe I’m not gourmand enough for it. That’s probably it.

‘Some stuff’. Hehehe.

TheTeaFairy

Caramel creamer is not a crime with this, you can scream it loud and clear!!!
Bravo for trying, mon amie, you are the brave one :-)

I don’t know about these pu’erh teas guys. I try to be open-minded, but once they’re steeped, the pue’erh scent just turns my stomach. Regardless, I power through because sometimes that strong scent doesn’t come through as strongly in the taste.

Unfortunately for this tea, it did. I just couldn’t get past the pu’erh-ness.

Thanks for the sample VariaTEA!

But on the upside, I just finished a sipdown of French Butter Cookie in matcha milk, and this one is a sample sipdown.

caile

Yeah, I’ve only tried pu’erh once so far, and also found it was the scent that was hard to get past…

TeaBrat

you should try a sheng puerh, does not have the same aroma at all

VariaTEA

Okay to be honest, Sil sent this to me, and I really don’t like pu’erh either. I tried it, and it was very pu’erh heavy so I passed it to you because for some reason, I thought you were a pu’erh fan. Obviously not so I shall keep that in mind :P

Courtney

TeaBrat I will keep that in mind.

VariaTEA no worries, I appreciate getting to try new things, even if they don’t turn out.

Aimee Popovacki

i get stomach aches from pu’erh’s … the only one i don’t is blood orange from davids, but i have to drink it in small quantities… i can bake/cook with pu’erh’s though and its been fine… i think when its just the tea and water though it does a number on me.

Hahaha all you puerh haters should try the strawberry chocolate one from lupicia ;)

VariaTEA

I have! Definitely one of the better pu’erhs I have had but still not for me.

Amariel

Strawberry chocolate pu erh….noms. I would love to try it. I’m gonna have to figure out a Lupicia order, I think.

1938 tasting notes

I am sorry, Sil! I tried, I really did, but I could not get past the pu erh taste in this cup. You were so generous to share some with me but the cup got dumped and I will probably pass the rest of the sample along to someone who will appreciate it more than I ever could. Thank you Sil, but this wasn’t for me.

haha not to worry! this one has more of a puerh taste than some flavoured puerhs..

VariaTEA

It definitely sounded appealing but the pu erh was just too much. Perhaps one day I will grow to love it but that day was not today :P