Dune d'épices

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Anna

2 Images

• “Day 10! I feel like with every Dammann tea I review, I find myself thinking this smells/tastes like bubble gum. That's the scent I get from this one. Delicious fruity, juicy, bubble gum. This...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 772 tasting notes
  • “Dammann advent calendar, day 10. Another one I haven't tried! I honestly thought I might run into a lot of them that I had tried before given the fact that I recently acquired a lot of Dammann...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1994 tasting notes
  • “Haha, I added this tea to the database a few months back, and now BOOM! A whole slew of tasting notes! That Dammann calendar has really been getting around, and I enjoy seeing so many people try...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes
  • “Day 10 on the advent calendar. I think this will be the first green tea of theirs I tried. Still haven't gotten around to the Christmas tea vert from day 5-ish. I also wasn't as careful with...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 794 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

Un brin d’exotisme pour ce mélange où, des arômes pain d’épices et orange amère, des écorces d’orange et des pétales de fleurs composent, avec les notes fraîches et fruitées d’un thé vert Sencha de Chine, un thé parfumé à la saveur étonnante et généreuse.

This Sencha green tea from China is a surprising flavoured tea, thanks to ginger bread, bitter orange flavour, orange rinds and flower petals. Its fresh and fruity notes lend a rather exotic tea. (Brewing time: 3 to 4 minutes).

About Dammann Freres View company

Day 10!

I feel like with every Dammann tea I review, I find myself thinking this smells/tastes like bubble gum. That’s the scent I get from this one. Delicious fruity, juicy, bubble gum.

This tea tastes like candied oranges. I was expecting it to be more tart based on the description on the tea. I am tasting sweet candied oranges and cream. There may also be a bit of candied ginger flavour in here too, but I do not get gingerbread at all. The sencha is buttery and creamy, but does not overshadow the flavouring. It is blended perfectly. This one is definitely a great fruity tea.

1994 tasting notes

Dammann advent calendar, day 10. Another one I haven’t tried! I honestly thought I might run into a lot of them that I had tried before given the fact that I recently acquired a lot of Dammann teas, but this is great because it’s a lot of teas I wasn’t sure about enough to order 50-100g of, but now I get to try them anyway.

I didn’t really know what was in this one but I think I thought it was some kind of green chai. Then I looked it up on Dammann’s site and saw that it is supposed to be gingerbread and orange?? Yum. The scent of the dry sachet was super orangey and sweet, and made my mouth water! It smelled really good. I think the gingerbread came out more in the scent of the steeped tea, although its not exactly gingerbread right off. Maybe it’s just the interaction with the orange. I quite enjoy the flavor, although this is another tea that I would be happier to have on a black base. I guess I’m just not that into flavored greens unless they are pure fruit or floral. I just think the gingerbread flavor would be more prominent with a black base. It is sweet, very orangey, and lightly spiced. There is also a nice creaminess to this one that grows as I sip it.

Haha this is one of those teas that I start out ambivalent about but then really grow to really enjoy it by the end.

Haha, I added this tea to the database a few months back, and now BOOM! A whole slew of tasting notes! That Dammann calendar has really been getting around, and I enjoy seeing so many people try their teas.

I want to emphasize that translating ‘pain d’épices’ straight to ‘gingerbread’ is wrong – this is absolutely not supposed to taste like gingerbread, it’s supposed to taste like pain d’épices, which has a completely different flavour base. Sloppy, DM, very sloppy.

Reading about this tea, I didn’t love the idea of it, but I was still curious about the bitter orange note. In the bag, that’s mostly all I get, and it doesn’t disappoint at all, even if it threatens to maybe turn a little overly pungent. In the cup, though, it mellows out considerably.

Flavour wise, I’m equally surprised; I really wasn’t planning on liking this one, but I do. The orange comes through so well – something I’m not accustomed to in terms of DF; I think they mostly drop the ball on citrus altogether.

It’s a great Christmas tea – it would be perfect with actual pain d’épices (http://www.gustave.com/recettes/265/pain-epices.html) and right now, I will confess, I am eating a piece of candied orange dipped in dark chocolate, the final dregs of our pre-Christmas Dagnino shopping spree… and it goes insanely well together with this tea.

I’m very happy to have tried it, but as impressed as I am with its orangeity, this is not one I would feel a need to keep around.

[From my epic Instant-Thé order to Rome, October 2013.]

Day 10 on the advent calendar.

I think this will be the first green tea of theirs I tried. Still haven’t gotten around to the Christmas tea vert from day 5-ish. I also wasn’t as careful with the water temperature as I should have been. These teas don’t seem to be too fussy about that though (maybe because they are higher quality leaf?).

Dammann loves them some orange flavoring. Fortunately I think they do it really well. This one is no exception, and may even be that much better with the vegetal green base. The spices (mostly cinnamon) are confined to the smell for me but I kind of like the duality there. It’s fun to drink something and smell something totally different (albeit complimentary).

So yes, a variation on a theme, well done, and I’m glad to have tried it.

Yay dammann!

I’m attending a potluck tonight and I’m bringing donuts and tea. I just spent a good hr organizing my tea and then deciding what to bring and packing it up.

I watched ‘please vote for me’ and ‘waiting for Armageddon’, two documentaries. And now I started ‘roman holiday’ but I think I’m gonna finish it later.

If I focus and stay determined, I will be able to reach 600 different teas tasted by the end of tomorrow. I think that’s a nice goal. Fun to try at least. :)

This tea is not really my thing. I’m not a green lover and not a fan of cinnamon and though the description doesn’t say cinnamon it’s the scent and flavor that I’m getting most. It overrides the ginger and orange for me. Too bad.

The beginning of Roman Holiday is real cute btw.
And Gregory Peck is a total hunk.

Anna

I actually walked Via Margutta today! (Where Gregory Peck lives in Roman Holiday.)

Day 10 of the advent calendar.
Smells like more citrus. Taste a little like mango. It is very light on the sip, but has an almost dirt like after taste. I give it a meh.