Noël à Prague

Caramel, Cocoa, Stewed Fruits
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

• “All I have to say about this one today is: YUM. And I think I get a bit more of a boozy "vodka" sensation from the loose leaf than I did with the sachet.” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1962 tasting notes
  • “This is another great tea from the awesome package *yyz* sent to me. To me this is mostly caramel black. It's quite sweet, and nice creamy caramel. I'm not sure I'm getting the boozy vodka...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 729 tasting notes
  • “Day 17! I can't believe I am 17 days in already. I feel like I have travelled through France with all of these Noël teas. This one smells deliciously, caramel and chocolate, very sweet. In the...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 765 tasting notes
  • “This one really does benefit from a longer steep time and from being allowed to cool to get the full benefit of its flavours. I steeped it for around 6 minutes this time with no ill effects. The...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 373 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

“Noël à Prague” flavored black tea

A blend of black teas with caramel, prune, “vodka” and chocolate flavours, clementine essential oil, embellished with papaya bits and flower petals.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

1962 tasting notes

All I have to say about this one today is: YUM. And I think I get a bit more of a boozy “vodka” sensation from the loose leaf than I did with the sachet.

Yvonne

This tea truly sounds like something special.

mars1

tea with a punch like vodka? I’ll take a flask full please.

This is another great tea from the awesome package yyz sent to me.
To me this is mostly caramel black. It’s quite sweet, and nice creamy caramel. I’m not sure I’m getting the boozy vodka from it, but I do agree that the flavors deepen as it cools
Not worrying about what it “should” and just accepting it for what it “is” – this could be my favorite caramel black tea. It’s really nice. I like it a lot. Thank you so much yyz for including this for me to try.

Day 17!

I can’t believe I am 17 days in already. I feel like I have travelled through France with all of these Noël teas.

This one smells deliciously, caramel and chocolate, very sweet.

In the brewed tea I am not getting any chocolate or cocoa taste at all. I do get dark caramel. I am unfortunately not getting any vodka taste. I would have liked to have added vodka to this tea but I am at work. There is a slight prune taste but it does not have the sweetness a prune has. I get a candied orange peel taste at the end of the sip. This tea liquor is very thick. We are back to the thick and luxurious Dammann tea again, yumm!

Starfevre

All of you are really making me wish I’d gotten this Advent Calendar

Technically. You still can get it haha

Starfevre

Can’t mail anything that would get to my place before January 1st so I’m afraid to buy anything online.

This one really does benefit from a longer steep time and from being allowed to cool to get the full benefit of its flavours. I steeped it for around 6 minutes this time with no ill effects. The tea has a thick slightly chalky texture on the tongue from the cocoa and the prune. At short steeps I find the flavour is dominated by the prune and clementine which reference some of the flavours found in really fruity ceylon with the citrus notes thinning out the plum/prune flavour. At longer steeps the flavours balance each other better. Caramel adds a richness to the tea and softens and dulls the fruit a little and the cocoa becomes more present in the blend. I do taste the vodka, but not as an alcohol/liquor taste but more as coolness added to the taste and a slight mineral note. I don’t find this to be an over the top sweet dessert tea, but a comforting, soft, sweet, sweet and slightly fruity tea. The Clementine note intensifies as it cools with the caramel being the second most dominant note underneath with the cocoa adding texture and depth. This tea grows on me every time I drink it.

gmathis

This sounds spectacular!

thank you to yyz for this lovely cup… and after a loooooong day!

be wary when a prof brags that a course does not hold exams- what they may actually be saying (as in this case) ‘all the time i would expect you to be studying for exams you will instead be working your butt off in other ways times 2!’ fascinating, brilliant, exciting….. also exhausting! lol.

dragged my butt up the stairs and cast about in yyz’s envelope for a ‘feels right’ sample. ooh, christmas in prague? sounds good!

i did have momentary concerns. the dry tea has a heavy smoky component… not usually my thing. i skimmed over the ingredients- VODKA? hmm. jury was out on that one; i had no idea what effect that would have on a tea! lol. the only way to know was to boil the kettle and add h2o.

with water the smoke vanished. deep purple almost overripe but not quite plums…. stonefruit! like when you bite a bit too deeply and your teeth graze the pit. there is a hint of stone flavour in this blend!

don’t think i’d want to drink it every day, but a lovely experience and one i’d be happy to repeat from time to time.

this is a clever tea.

yyz

So, so true! Especially if you have term long project. A similar warning could be given for open book exams, which are usually more work than the regular exams. I listened to a rant about just this topic at Christmas from a journalist who was already professionally active and had two jobs while obtaining her credentials. She is still under to this day that they were only told about it on the last day of class.

Glad you liked the tea. I wasn’t 100 % sure what I thought of it the first time I had it, but I find that you can get a variety of flavours out of it depending how you brew it. I added vodka to it one day and if became more fruity.

JustJames

hee hee hee, you added more vodka? excellent. just spent 45 minutes on the phone with the head of the NGO i’ll be working for….. very nice guy. it is going to be a long semester, awesome, but long! lol.

yyz

Sounds good, and more useful than the CIDA internships back about when I did one. So, this is a project with real world applications?

JustJames

it does, as does the course. it was designed with the concept that education is less helpful if it is not immediately applicable. the student retains more, learns more, gains problem solving skills as well as experience all the while benefiting worthy causes. this is who i am working for the next 4 months: http://www.africacalling.ca/

i’ll be building a video with them, working locally with marginalized populations and internationally. lots LOTS of work!!! and i am not the sort to partially commit… =0)

Another one of the wonderful samples from Dammann Freres’ advent calendar.

Smells really odd out of the package – like chocolate prunes? Then I looked at the ingredient list. Okay! This smells as it should. Steeped, I actually get the texture of prunes (interesting) and dark, bitter cocoa. A little bit of sweetness brings out the orange/clementine a bit more. Missing all of the caramel, however it’s still really yummy. Steeped for only three minutes, and I think that’s what I’ll do for the rest of these instead of the recommended 4-5 minutes.

Day 17 of the Advent calendar. Confession: I gave day 16 to my mom when she was in town because she LOVES figs. Given how spot on the flavorings have been I really wanted her to have a chance to try it. So, no note from me for that one.

With THIS tea, I actually was able to identify a smell before looking at the description! And it was a weird smell to get, too. But the dry tea bag really did smell JUST like prunes. Kind of grapey, kind of raisiny, the boyfriend is convinced it’s fig, but NOPE. It is definitely prunes. I am super proud of myself. :)

Steeped at the below parameters with no additives.

The steeped tea still smells pruney, but there is a sugary sweetness in there, too – most likely the caramel. Caramel and prunes are a weird combination, I won’t lie. I would never in a million years have put them together.

Flavoring is chocolate/caramel first and then…prune. There is a citrusy note to it, though, kind of like stewed prunes that my mom makes (and incidentally, are really good). The ingredients also said something about vodka flavoring, but I didn’t think vodka had any flavor, and I’m not picking up on whatever that supposed flavor may be.

This was pretty good – I still can’t reconcile why chocolate and caramel and prune were put together, but if anyone can do that kind of blend, and do it well, Dammann can. I’m going to be so bummed when I don’t have a new tea from them each morning!

oh damn gurrl this rulez!

i’m so so so glad i got the advent calendar. they took it down off their website now. but that’s okay. i will continue to order 100g bags from them. using the teas i got to taste this winter and the taste profiles/descriptions i’m sure i’ll make some good choices in the future.

also, i’m kinda a chocolate tea fanatic. so if you get me with one tea, you probably have me with all the chocos in your catalog.

Fruity caramel – very nice! This one surprised me since I was not really liking the dry leaf smell. Boiling water for 4 min produced a lovely sweet aroma and the first sip was very good. An enjoyable tea to add to my tea cupboard!