Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 12 oz / 354 ml

From Dammann Freres

“Mangoustan” flavored black tea

A harmonious blend of black teas with mangosteen flavour (a peach-pear-passion fruit savoured fruit sourced from Asia) and bits of pineapple, flower petals delivers a unique infusion.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

This tea I drank just now. Yum. The base on this tea seems a bit more keemun-y than Dammann’s usual blend. Not sure what it is about it, but it reminds me a touch of the keemun base on Lupicia’s Earl Grey.

Love drinking my tropical mangosteen tea. This one I don’t crave like some of the other DF teas, but I think that’s because it’s a bit simpler. It’s definitely still very tasty, and it captures the mangosteen flavor well. I should probably try cold brewing this one, I bet it would be awesome.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I was really excited to order this, because I don’t think I have ever seen a mangosteen tea before. If I’m being honest, my experience with mangosteen has been limited to a Greek yogurt with a mangosteen add in, and I liked that.

The funny part was, I mentioned this to my daughter (19, tea lover) and she asked me what mangosteen tastes like, and I had no idea what to tell her. So I went to Google and typed in, “What does mangosteen taste like?” What I learned is that unless a person has eaten one in Asia, fresh, they have no idea. It seems that mangosteen flavoring doesn’t taste anything like the actual fruit, and mangosteens don’t travel well enough for anyone on this side of the world to have the actual experience. I saw a funny anecdote that Queen Victoria offered a large cash award to anyone who could get one to her in pristine condition, and no one ever collected the money.

So anyway, it’s a nice tea. A little fruity, definite black base. Worth trying but maybe not a reorder for me.

Having been to China during mangosteen season: they taste amazing. A fresh light sweet with a touch of floral and “tropical”. Almost like a really good high mountain oolong minus the “green” flavor! I ate them up!

I have found “fresh” mangosteen at an Asian market before. They were pretty good and were a juicy version of the freeze dried ones that Trader Joe’s once had. Interesting to find it in a tea!