4 Fruits Rouges

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “"You know that tea...?" Husband asked me last night. EEK! Well, that was a good fifteen minutes steep, I think. And I didn't even know what the base was at that point. Turns out to be a blend of...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1290 tasting notes
  • “sipdown on this one! the last little bit is off to share with a tea friend heh I have enjoyed this one, though i still hold firm that "4 fruits" are not my favourite thing. Thanks again for...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5079 tasting notes
  • “I bought a sample sachet of this at Pacific Mall of all places, and saved it til today when I really needed it. And guess what, it is _super_ tasty. Intense on the sweet berry, which I LOVE!!...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1315 tasting notes
  • “Thank you so much *cteresa* for sharing this 4 red fruit tea with me. I already mentioned in the past my daughter's favorite jam is the brand Bonne Maman's 4 fruits and I think this tea is just...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 365 tasting notes

From Dammann Freres

A delightful blend of black teas from Ceylon, India, and China flavored with the essences of “four red fruits”: cherry, strawberry, raspberry, and red currant. Fruity, tart and unexpected.

Brewing time: 4 to 5 minutes

About Dammann Freres View company

“You know that tea…?” Husband asked me last night.

EEK! Well, that was a good fifteen minutes steep, I think. And I didn’t even know what the base was at that point. Turns out to be a blend of Chinese and Ceylon, and as we know Chinese blacks can take a lot of abuse while Ceylon can really go either way. No adverse effects then.

This is a tea that Cteresa shared with me and I have to admit that I found it difficult to concentrate on it last night for some reason. It simply just failed to hold my attention for very long, so I’m writing this on a flimsy memory.

The base held up to the mishap very well, without a single bit of bitterness or astringency. The fruit flavouring was… well, fruity, obviously, but I couldn’t pick out each individual fruit. This may have something to do with my lack of concentration, but my immediate thought was that it was somewhat generic red fruit-y.

It’s a fairly classic flavouring, this, so I’ve had it and enjoyed it before from other vendors. Then, I definitely remember being able to ‘find’ each of the four red fruits in the flavour. Knowing what to look for obviously. I doubt I’d have been able to do so without knowing what they were in advance. I couldn’t do that with this one (at least not at that particular level of attention) and I’m not sure if that’s really a bad thing or a good thing.

It’s a shame when one can’t pick out the flavours, and one feels like the whole things is just a big muddle with a generic taste. On the other hand, when each flavour clearly stands out on their own, the tea can end up tasting a little bit unfinished. Smoothness is lost, and it’s just a cup full of edges and corners that don’t quite join up.

Pros and cons, really. The smoothness of this one rather suited me last night, though. I think precisely because I couldn’t concentrate on it. Edges and corners would have thrown me off completely, I think.

Ysaurella

for their flavoured blacks teas, DF always uses a mix of Ceylon and Chinese teas.and often the same mix !

Angrboda

Yes, I’ve heard. It’s a totally new brand for me though. Prior to this swap with Cteresa had never tried any of theirs before.

cteresa

I am glad it survived! I think this is the same base as Paul et Virginie, heck, I am pretty sure it is the same base as Violette and Nosy Bey and Pomme d´Amour as well. In this particular case, I think it is so well adjusted to the flavoring, it is indeed a very smooth and fruity blend. I am pretty impressed it was drinkable after 15 minutes though!

Angrboda

Yeah, the only thing wrong with it was that it had gone rather lukewarm. I refuse to reheat, though, so I endured.

sipdown on this one! the last little bit is off to share with a tea friend heh I have enjoyed this one, though i still hold firm that “4 fruits” are not my favourite thing. Thanks again for sending this my way cteresa

And guess what, it is super tasty. Intense on the sweet berry, which I LOVE!! Definitely some strawberry, and maybe cherry. Not sure about the currant.
Without any sugar or milk, I enjoyed every single sip even though I got an extra large cup, for maybe a regular sized serving of leaves. Oh yeah, so worth it. No idea what temp it was at either so I’m going to surmise that this blend can take a lot of abuse and still end up amazing.
I’d keep it in my cupboard if I could.
In some ways, it reminds me very much of Marco Polo. They are pretty much the same tea, only one has a whole lot more vanilla. Ok so that makes them pretty different in one very big way lol
Still, I doubt I’d carry both in my cupboard if I had an opp, since I’m not a huge vanilla fan and thus much prefer this version!
Also, Sil, did you give me a sample of this?? I can’t recall!!

cteresa

I like this very much as well, but to me it´s a totally different beast from Marco Polo, funny how we all experience things differently.

I got a tin of this without being too enthusiastic about it, but ended up loving it, and loving it better than all the other Dammann teas (even ones I was far more interested in before trying!) I have tried.

nope. I gave you others. I didn’t get to pick this one up, though it’s on my shopping list to try sometime.

cteresa

Sorry, I don´t understand – "nope. I gave you others. "?

cteresa – IB asked if this was one of the teas i gave her. :) I gave her other damman freres tea, which is likely what she’s thinking of.

cteresa

sorry, sorry, my mistake! I was not understanding, nevermind brain fart (it´s getting very hot, moved to iced non caffeine tea, and my brain is not adjusting…)

pas de problem! I feel the same way…and it’s already afternoon! :)

Indigobloom

cteresa, it’s really good! I don’t think I’ve had a berry tea that pops so nicely before. Yummm :D
Sil, aha! well if I ever see it again at p-mall, I’ll pick you up a sample. $1 for one bag, not too bad.

Thank you so much cteresa for sharing this 4 red fruit tea with me.
I already mentioned in the past my daughter’s favorite jam is the brand Bonne Maman’s 4 fruits and I think this tea is just his twin in a tea version.

As habitual with Dammann Frères, the tea base is their classic base of Ceylon and China teas.

The way the red fruits comes is lovely even if I cannot really detect each flavour separately.
Anyway this is not important, I love its mellowness, the global flavour of red fruit is very natural.
There is just a little hint of tartness so typical of red fruits (especially red currant -groseille).
Don’t think this tea especially needs a 5 minutes steeping as 3 and a half were enough IMO.

Gorgeous, thanks again cteresa

Sipdown #47, also from Sil, thanks sister!

This is nice. I added a little stevia, just a pinch, because I really couldn’t get the fruity tastes without it. It’s a little tart & tangy!

for you? anything!

Terri HarpLady

That’s because you’re awesome!

I am usually attracted to trying novelty ideas on flavoured tea (that darjeeling with tomato and courgette, on my watch list!), and sometimes the plain old ideas are not my first pick. Example peach and vanilla tea, this red fruits tea, plain old (but excellent) jasmine tea. And often simple really is best.

This is so far my favorite Dammann tea, very very fruity black tea, noticeable cherry, strawberry and raspberry, just right. And as is the peach-vanilla flavoured black tea a very cheering tea to drink in winter and plan for the summer.

195 °F / 90 °C

ooh this sounds like something i’d enjoy!

I received a few samples of different black teas from cteresa today, one of which was the 4 fruits rouge from damman freres. Thanks so much Teresa!

I love this tea! Its fruity, its sweet but has a freshness and lightness to it, that I usually don’t associate with red fruits or black tea. There seems to be a very light astringency that is quite pleasant. On the other hand it may be due to the fact that I’ve tasted quite a number of teas in a few hours time.

Come summer I’m going to try to make an iced tea from this. This is the second tea I’ve tasted lately that probably will make an excellent iced tea (the other being Peche Mignon from Theodor).

cteresa

I liked it very much as well (though, duh, still got to write taste notes about it), I think so far it is my favorite Dammann tea. The black tea base seems very similar to the other Dammann teas I have had and admittedly it is not a favorite of mine (I compared once Dammann´s black tea with peach and vanilla with Theodor and it was a Theodor landslide!). But this is so fruity and nice…

I was served this tea at a restaurant in Paris and loved it! So many other teas with fruit get bitter before I’m done with the cup. This has a really lovely flavor. Real fruit pieces are combined with good quality black tea.

Boiling

I loved it! It was my favorite tea when i lived in Paris. I bought some boxes before we moved and now I am finishing my last one. This is my favorite tea for 10 o’clock thing:). The problem with some american brand teas is that we use too much artificial flavors, can hardly find a brand that does not taste like soap to me. In France, marriage frere, dammann frere, palais des the etc, they all have great tasting notes. I do not definitely like all the different flavors, but certainly have never felt like I was eating soap. It could be just my taste buds, but when my sis from Europe came to visit me, we had a tea forte earl grey and she was horrified…and I had not started yet my complaints about teas here.