Houjicha Poire Vanille

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange
190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more

From Dammann Freres

The roasted flavor of Houjicha green tea blends with the fruity notes of pear, the smooth notes of vanilla and the deliciously spicy notes of gingerbread to provide a smooth and delicious infusion.

Dominant note : Orchard fruits
Type(s) of tea : Green tea
Main flavor : Vanilla
Complementary flavor(s) : Pear, Biscuit, Gingerbread, Buckwheat

About Dammann Freres View company

TTB. I love hojicha, and feel like it’s so under-utilized in flavored blends. The idea of a vanilla pear hojicha sounded absolutely mouthwatering. This is an absolutely lovely hojicha- roast and comforting. The vanilla is very subtle, and I’m not picking up on any pear.

Cameron B.

I love houjicha too (and Japanese greens in general). I don’t think I’ve ever been that impressed with flavored ones though, which is a shame. I was considering trying this one when I ordered from Dammann, so I’m happy to see a tasting note about it hah!

STTB Tea

This is from last week, but I forgot to write a tasting note.

I enjoy houjicha a lot, but I’m not always in the mood for it. The other day was a cloudy and rainy autumn day [stupid changing seasons >:( ] and I wanted something toasty (And roasty!). This blend has some subtle vanilla, however I found the fruity flavours were overshadowed by the base. I still enjoyed it, I just didn’t taste any pear. The base is very roasty (like whole grain bread or over baked pizza dough)…or like a houjicha. Minerals (like how burnt marshmallow charcoal is a touch bitter and minerally) come out the longer you savour the mouthfull of it.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Brown Toast, Grain, Roasted, Roasted Barley, Toasty

190 °F / 87 °C 8 min or more

Roasty toasty streak continues…

Had this one in the morning, and while I did get pear/vanilla as a side note to the thick, deep toasty and almost nutty houjicha profile I also felt like I was getting a really interesting and surprisingly natural tasting banana note? Like, the taste of a very nearly perfectly ripe banana with that tiny, tiny wisp of green sharpness. Super unexpected in this cup.