Edit tea info Last updated by maldororsteagarden

1 Tasting Note View all

From Darjeeling - 1st Flush

Known as the champagne of teas, these young tea leaves are picked at the start of the season. The tea trees in this region yield a gorgeously delicate tea that is an absolute delight to drink.

Brewing: 1-3mins. Light Gold. Very light and flavoursome tea

About Darjeeling - 1st Flush View company

1 Tasting Note

The temperature here in Sydney is 32 degrees, and winter seems like a somewhat distant memory, although not even three weeks ago I had the oil heater on when studying late at night in the back room. All of my winter teas – my Russian Caravans, my Lapsang Souchongs, my black teas flavoured with spices and chocolate or caramel – have been relegated to the back of the tea cupboard and I’ve dug out what remains of my teas from last Spring.

I thought a light Darjeeling tea would hit the spot. This one isn’t too bad at all. It’s very light on the nose and palate at first – perhaps too light – with a very faint muskiness and astringency, but it gradually takes on a more pronounced, fruity flavour and aroma. The astringency becomes more pronounced as well, but not in a bad way.

I think I prefer this to the Castleton Estate that I tried a week or two ago. There is no information about where the tea is sourced from, and taking into account the cost, I’m assuming it’s a blend of various 1st Flushes, but lighter than the Twinings Vintage Darjeeling. Not sure how it would compare to the single estate Darjeelings I have in my cupboard as it has been a while since I have had them. I generally prefer the 1st to the 2nd Flush, but anyone that prefers the latter may find it to be too light, but for me this is a good vernal tea.