Tortoise Green Tea Chai

Chai Green Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jillian
Boiling

• “I had this as a chai latte at the DFW airport on my way to vacation last week. I was looking for some breakfast before the flight and this jumped out at me. It was excellent. I wasn't sure what to...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 582 tasting notes
  • “When I was in Vancouver for the Olympics I stopped by the Blue Teapot, which is a tea shop that's sort of an old favorite of mine, located in the Lonsdale Quay. The owner had gotten in a bunch of...” Read full tasting note
    JillDragon 1631 tasting notes
  • “I did nothing productive yesterday, and it was great. I had the day off from Sobeys; so after Calendar Club I stopped at the liquor store, which may have been a bad idea because I ended up walking...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2279 tasting notes

From David Rio

This innovative chai combines a pleasant hint of green tea with sweet and savory spices. The smooth aftertaste will keep you coming back for more.

About David Rio View company

I had this as a chai latte at the DFW airport on my way to vacation last week. I was looking for some breakfast before the flight and this jumped out at me. It was excellent. I wasn’t sure what to expect from a green chai, much less a powdered one. The guy making it told me he was also putting Japanese matcha in it but who knows. He was a little hard to understand and it was early in the morning. :) He did give me the extra that wouldn’t fit in the regular cup in a little tasting cup and gave me a medium for small price. I had asked for a small and he either misunderstood or he was bored because he made a medium and then told me he was charging me the small price. Not gonna complain about that. :)

At any rate, this was thick, rich, sweet and amazing. I’m going to have to keep an eye out for some. It was best hot, but cooled off to lukewarm it was still good, though the aftertaste got stronger and wouldn’t have been my favorite part of it.

UPDATE: The dude who made this for me did indeed add matcha to it. When I made this at home tonight, it was not green and it tasted different. Still had an odd bit of aftertaste, but not as creamy and not green. :) Tried adding some matcha powder I got from Teavana awhile back and blech. I think I need to figure out how to mix matcha before I try this again. That and I’m pretty sure I just don’t care much for matcha when it tastes like matcha. :)

Tea Sipper

ah, vacation. I hope it was nice!

Nicole

It was wunnerful. :) Ready to face the daily grind again. :)

When I was in Vancouver for the Olympics I stopped by the Blue Teapot, which is a tea shop that’s sort of an old favorite of mine, located in the Lonsdale Quay. The owner had gotten in a bunch of new merchandise in anticipation of the tourist influx and he was selling some of the David Rio chai mixes.

I’ve never tried any of David Rio’s teas but having some experience with Oregon Chai and Second Cup’s chai mixes (which can be diabetic coma-inducing) I asked the owner to tell me which one he thought was the least sweet of the bunch. He pointed out this one and since I thought it sounded interesting (I’ve never had a green tea chai latte) I got it.

Okay…the cute name might have been a factor aswell. ;P

I was expecting something a little bit like sweetened matcha…yeah. When I opened the package the powdery contents inside were a pale yellow colour and they smelled like one of those vanilla pudding mixes.

The ‘texture’ of the tea in my mouth feels a little off. The package instructions say to use hot water but I think I’d like this better with milk instead. It’s just too thin with water. It tastes sweet but not sickly sweet, thankfully. I can distinctly taste the vanilla and the spices which are a good mix – I do wish I could pick up more of a green tea flavour though. It’s there, but you have to look for it in each sip.

It’s not bad, I might buy it again if I come across it and it isn’t too expensive, but it’s not anything that’s likely to become a regular staple in my cupboard. I prefere whole-leaf chais anyway.

Boiling

I did nothing productive yesterday, and it was great.

I had the day off from Sobeys; so after Calendar Club I stopped at the liquor store, which may have been a bad idea because I ended up walking out with about $80 in alcohol I don’t need – and there’s still more that looks amazing that I want to go buy. But alcohol costs MONEY. Ick. I’m trying to justify by “but you can mix it with tea” but over $100 in booze is not a smart thing.

Here’s my alcohol haul though, for those curious:

- Butterscotch Schnapps
- Rootbeer Schnapps
- Peach Schnapps
- Raspberry Sourpuss
- 4 Pack of “Polar White” shooters (White Chocolate liquor and Peppermint Schnapps)
- Golden Pear Liqueur

And here’s what I didn’t get, but want/ed to:

- Apple Pie Liqueur
- Bols Banana Liqueur
- 4 Pack of Caramel Vodka Mudshakes
- Beer???

TOO MUCH BOOZES.

And then I got home and had a couple drinks, because that’s what you do after a booze haul. Some of those drinks were non drinks though – by which I mean they were actually tea. Like this one: which was actually a hot tea latte. Teaception?

Some observations about this one: it’s noticeably less sweet and “weighty” than the Elephant Blend (snickers), which has a black base instead of this one which is green. There is some sweetness though, which is good for me. Visually, they’re different colours too: Elephant is like a lighter brown, and this one is kinda yellow-y. The vegetal/green tea aspect of this isn’t super obvious – great for non green tea lovers such as myself. But it is subtly there, and I imagine that would be more obvious if this was just in regular water. Spices are present (clove and cinnamon being more distinct), but not overwhelming.

I like it. Plus, it helps the animals <3

darby

Don’t feel bad, I went to a new liquor store that has amazing prices and walked out spending $190!!! Now $80 of that are presents for Xmas but…..wow!

VariaTEA

Whenever I am in the liquor store, I am always amazing at the million flavors of vodka and I am always tempted to buy them but then I remember the one time I got drunk on vodka, I became a crazy person and wound up at the hospital

sailor jerry has new pin up girls this year… sigh

VariaTEA

Haha Sil, you’re like their number one fan :P

dude… i put that stuff in my coffee in the morning when i bother to get a coffee…black + that = yums

OMGsrsly

Before work, or just before wedding planning, Sil? ;)

um… i refuse to answer that on the grounds that it might be both.

Kittenna

I am thankful that I dislike most alcohol, so I’m far less tempted by the delicious-sounding things, knowing I won’t like it on the grounds that it is booze. However, that Criollo stuff sounds amazing >.>