Bai Hao Yin Zen

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by ms-miel

• “This is so good, you guys. So beautiful to look at, too. I know some of you might think that *Dexter3657* and I should probably start some mutual adoration society or something but I'm going to say...” Read full tasting note
    Littleelle 272 tasting notes
  • “I got a sample of this with a DavidsTea order awhile back. I brought it to work last week, and decided to have it this morning. I opened the little packet (I hate the packaging for their loose leaf...” Read full tasting note
    Skulleigh 276 tasting notes
  • “Another one from Dexter! Thanks so much! Still a few more to try from that awesome box of teas a few months ago. Whew. I was a little leery on this one - seems like the kind of white tea I'm not...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1460 tasting notes
  • “It’s really the classic white tea, this is where it all started. I have definitely tasted something like this before… Well, all the flavored white teas have an underlying white tea flavor (kind of...” Read full tasting note
    mobe1 290 tasting notes

From David's Tea

This is a true luxury, considered by many to be China’s most famous white tea. To create it, only the downy, silvery unopened buds of the tea plant are picked by hand during the April harvest. How does this influence the flavour and aroma? Connoisseurs rave about its sweet complexity, and about an underlying grassy taste that makes it uniquely perfect.

About David's Tea View company

This is so good, you guys. So beautiful to look at, too. I know some of you might think that Dexter3657 and I should probably start some mutual adoration society or something but I’m going to say this anyway: Dex is an amazing friend. You see, it’s my birthday (soon) and since I was lusting for this tea that I would have likely never bought, or not in the foreseeable future, Dex sent me some, among other things.

I had this as a sample with purchase last time and I wished for more. The leaves are gorgeous so I brewed it in a glass gaiwan to see what’s up. Very pale brew and I still can’t tell what it tastes like any better than last time. Uncooked peaches and cream corn. Or something like that, sweet and green.

It seemed like 94C would be a bit high for a white so I did 190F (which is about 87c). No additives.

Thank you, Dexter3657 for this tea, for your thoughtfulness and for making me feel special.
Now I gotta go drink me some more tea :)

Bonnie

HAPPY ALMOST BIRTHDAY!

Nxtdoor

:) thank you, Bonnie.

I got a sample of this with a DavidsTea order awhile back. I brought it to work last week, and decided to have it this morning. I opened the little packet (I hate the packaging for their loose leaf samples, BTW – I’m always afraid I’m going to get it all over the place trying to rip through the sticker, and ripping the sticker means I can’t read the label while I sip) and turned it into the brewing basket for the cup I use at work.

I took a sniff of the dry loose tea, and confusion sets in – I smell chocolate. I have never had a white tea that smelled of chocolate. Not malty, not cocoa-y – chocolate. I drank a chocolate flavored tea last week – did I not wash out my brewing mug and basket well enough last week?

Next issue – I sweeten black teas more than green or white, so I grabbed two packets of sweetener by habit, and poured them both in. I should have gone with one. It’s too sweet.

And it tastes of chocolate. There are only 3 reviews of this tea, none of them mention chocolate.

There’s a little bit of the vegetal taste I would expect. But there’s that chocolate too. And it’s overly sweet.

I’m so confused.

Another one from Dexter! Thanks so much! Still a few more to try from that awesome box of teas a few months ago. Whew. I was a little leery on this one – seems like the kind of white tea I’m not into. But I wanted to try it to see if this one would go in any teaboxes shortly coming my way. The leaves are those fuzzies so I rinsed them to get rid of some of the fuzzies in the cup. Looking at the cup, the rinse DEFINITELY helped the amount of fuzzies… there were a ton in the rinse.

Steep #1 // rinse // 30 min after boiling // 2 min
The flavor isn’t too bad, but it also seems like these types of teas are never special enough for me to want to steep them. It’s also impossible to describe them. I almost wanted to say clouds but then I realized it tastes kind of like cotton (hmm…must be the billion fuzzies still in the mug). Very sweet dried grass. It has sort of a creamy flavor too. Maybe a hint of citrus. This sounded familiar, so I looked at the page for Verdant’s Bai Mu Dan and they describe it as “cream” and “lime”. I did have this one a few weeks ago, but I don’t think my memory is that good. A decent cup but the fuzzies bothering my throat aren’t very inspiring.

Steep #2 // 20 min after boiling // 3 min
This cup was really nice too. I guess I like these types of teas more than I think. I do now anyway. Once in a while I’ll really enjoy this.

It’s really the classic white tea, this is where it all started. I have definitely tasted something like this before… Well, all the flavored white teas have an underlying white tea flavor (kind of obvious) So that is probably why the tastes is so familiar to me.

However, this is not just any mainstream tea, it’s high quality, hand picked (apparently) and expensive. When you drink it, you can tell how incredibly high quality it is. On the website it says that it tastes sweet and grassy at the same time, but honestly, I don’t taste anything sweet; actually it’s a little bitter! But I definitely taste the grassy-ness.