Choconut Oolong (Winter 2013)

Black Oolong Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

• “Thank you for the sample *brewTEAlly sweet*! Smells like hazelnut coffee! But whoa...the taste is super artificial! And there is some licorice or something going on...bleh! Glad I got to try it...” Read full tasting note
    paradigmamnesia 993 tasting notes
  • “I was also lucky to get a sample of this tea with my last order. I was REALLY excited, because I love chocolate hazelnut spread, and was hoping this one would be a hit. It's also really nice to try...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 628 tasting notes
  • “I was SO excited about this tea. It would be pretty decent, except it has this kind of terrible aftertaste that I am assuming is the licorice.. It lingers on your tongue and mouth for AGES. I've...” Read full tasting note
    sencha23 107 tasting notes
  • “Wooo first one to review this tea!! I was lucky enough to receive a sample of it with my last order and needless to say I was VERY excited to try it!! I mean, chocolate and hazelnut?? With a smooth...” Read full tasting note
    Irene89 5 tasting notes

From David's Tea

With rich, dark chocolate, smooth-drinking oolong and just a hint of hazlenut, this is the perfect breakfast and the perfect tea, all rolled into one.

Cocoa husks, cocoa beans, oolong tea, black tea, natural hazlenut flavoring, artificial cream, chocolate and caramel flavoring.

1.25 tsp at 205F/96C for 4-5 minutes. Medium caffeine.

About David's Tea View company

Thank you for the sample brewTEAlly sweet!

Smells like hazelnut coffee! But whoa…the taste is super artificial! And there is some licorice or something going on…bleh! Glad I got to try it but I’m going to have to dump it out. Wah wah.

I was also lucky to get a sample of this tea with my last order. I was REALLY excited, because I love chocolate hazelnut spread, and was hoping this one would be a hit. It’s also really nice to try it before you buy it. Anyway, I was kind of disappointed by the small leaves. I mean, it’s an oolong…shouldn’t they be long or curled up? The smell of the dry leaf, however was very enticing. I started to steep it at more conservative parameters, even though the directions are pretty much in line for how you would steep a black tea. So I did it at 190 degrees, and was thinking 4 minutes, but decreased it to 3 when I saw how dark it was getting. Three minutes turned out to be plenty long. The taste is very nutty, full of hazelnut, although there is some chocolate in there. After a few sips, it reminded me a lot of flavored instant coffee. Not good. I want my tea to taste like tea! Well, so much for my high hopes. I wouldn’t sneer at another cup of this, but I probably wouldn’t go out of my way for it.

Irene89

Disappointing, huh? I was so looking forward to that tea, it sounded so perfect. Way too strong for me :( And I agree with you on the coffee taste (and I HATE coffee). Sad sad…

Tealizzy

I’m glad you get coffee flavor too. It confirms my taste buds! Ya, it was disappointing. Oh well, still planning to pick up a little coffee cake tea tomorrow. We’ll see how that one is.

I was SO excited about this tea. It would be pretty decent, except it has this kind of terrible aftertaste that I am assuming is the licorice.. It lingers on your tongue and mouth for AGES. I’ve had a pumpkin/cinnamon bagel with cream cheese and a full glass of water since drinking this, AND I CAN STILL TASTE THE LICORICE!!! WHY IS THIS A NECESSARY INGREDIENT? This tea would be really great without it. Maybe sugar/milk will disguise it? I’ll have to try.

Wooo first one to review this tea!! I was lucky enough to receive a sample of it with my last order and needless to say I was VERY excited to try it!! I mean, chocolate and hazelnut?? With a smooth oolong base??? How could I resist?

It is steeping right now. The dry leaf smell is SENSATIONAL! Smells pretty much like chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella, for the non-US residents). It is sweet and rich, very dessert-like.

Brewed, the oolong comes out more in the aroma. Oh and I’m starting to get the caramel! The chocolate is also definitely there. Writing along as it is steeping…
Ok it’s been 5 minutes, I’m letting it cool down slightly so I don’t burn my tongue and compromise any chance of actually tasting something…

First sip: Holy nuts batman! This is straight up hazelnut! Actually, roasted hazelnut. The grilled/roasted flavor is very present and I think it overpowers the chocolate completely. Maybe it will come out more as it cools down. The oolong is also very discreet, far behind. That hazelnut is like a big bully pushing everyone else back. Not sure if I like it….BUT I don’t dislike it either! Strange… I guess it is a tea that you have to be in the mood for. The smell is very attractive though.

I will add a little bit of sugar to see if it brings the chocolate out. Hmmm it softens the taste a little but still not loving it. Maybe I steeped it too long, although I did follow the instructions.

Overall…Undecided.

I like cocoa, oolong, and licorice, so except for the black tea, the ingredients in this are right up my alley. A good start that went downhill when I opened the package. The dry mix has a strong, almost alcohol-like smell to it.

Brewed, it has a lighter smell. The alcohol scent is pretty much gone, thank goodness. Taste-wise, I get a bit of nuttiness, but overall the main impression is sweetness, probably from the licorice and flavourings. I don’t add anything to my tea, and I’m glad here, as I think adding sugar would make it undrinkable (for me).

Overall, it’s drinkable, but not something I think I’ll ever wake up in the morning craving. It’s too bad. If it were a bit nuttier and not as sweet, I think I would have loved it.

I bought this tea based on the smell alone and I was excited to try it. Unfortunately, I really didn’t enjoy it :(. It was way too sweet for me and it didn’t really taste like coconut or chocolate. I think it was partly because this is an oolong tea.

I feel as though I’m the only person on earth that likes this tea. Of my David’s Tea co-workers, I only know one other girl that doesn’t mind it. I don’t know exactly what it is that I like, but it’s most likely the liquorice root. I’m not normally one to like super sweet teas, but I am a fan of this one. Oh well, I’m a strange one :)

It has been a long day full of finals and counting down the last 3 months until I graduate early. It’s cold, i’m tired and stressed. All I want is chocolate. David’s Tea sent me this as a sample with my order of other holiday themed teas so I brewed it up immediately when I got home. It smells just like hazelnut and chocolate but it tastes like watered down fancy hot cocoa. It’s not bad but it’s not great either. Honestly I would have given it a higher rating if I could taste more of the chocolate or nuts in the tea but I just can’t do it. Maybe I just need to make out like the cookie monster for my stress chocolate binge.

When I read about this tea, it was right up my alley, but like many of the other ratings, I was disappointed. It has a great smell, but the after taste is bizarre. I couldn’t quiet put my finger on it, but now after reading other reviews I see it is the licorice that gives is a sweet after taste. Not just sweet, really sweet. I initially thought that maybe it was stevia because it tastes artificial almost. Not very good :(