Spiced Fig (Winter 2013)

Fruit Tea
Cloves, Nuts, Stewed Fruits
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

• “I was lucky enough to get a sample of this tea in my last order, before it's even in stores! I was intrigued by the name of this tea, even though I'm not big on herbals. Just like the previous...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 481 tasting notes
  • “I may be the first to try out this tea; my DAVID's Tea order came today, and with it three samples from the Winter Collection. So excited! Then, I saw the sample size, and thought... what do I...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1108 tasting notes
  • “I got this sample with my recent order. I was afraid to try another fig tea after the one that tasted like a stinky shoe, but I did it anyway. Good news is, it doesn't like a stinky shoe, but I...” Read full tasting note
    Flightysprite 471 tasting notes
  • “I know I oversteeped it, but I didn't like the flavor. I don't know if steeping it for less will help, but I don't think that it will. It just seemed like there was too much going on in the cup.” Read full tasting note
    khamilton611 96 tasting notes

From David's Tea

This festive tea is a holiday treat that’s pure satisfaction at next to no calories.

Apples, cranberries, black mission figs, calimyra figs (contain dextrose), dates (contain dextrose), almonds, rose hips, cloves, natural vanilla flavoring.

1.5 tsp at 208F/98C for 4-7 minutes.

About David's Tea View company

I was lucky enough to get a sample of this tea in my last order, before it’s even in stores! I was intrigued by the name of this tea, even though I’m not big on herbals. Just like the previous reviewer, the sample I got was really small. I suppose it’s because the samples are measured by weight, and being a fruit tea, it’s heavy, so you get less. I steeped it for the full 7 minutes in a little over 8 oz. of water. It came out pretty weak. Kinda fruity, but weak. I thought I tasted a little fig and a little spice, but it was very faint. I guess I’ll have to pick up some more if I want to try it properly, but knowing my general lack of enthusiasm for herbals, I’ll probably skip this one. I still feel special that I got to try it early!

I may be the first to try out this tea; my DAVID’s Tea order came today, and with it three samples from the Winter Collection. So excited!

Then, I saw the sample size, and thought… what do I do with this? It’s so small. Can I even get a cup out of it? I decided to see what came out of the package (literally, 5 chunks of what looked like grey fuzzy coal), and then steep it twice the recommended amount to get at least a hint of the flavors.

Smells like water, looks like a light amber. Steeped twice for 7 minutes each, just trying my best to milk out everything I could, flavor-wise.

The flavor is so vague and faint, it’s hard to tell what this is. Some spice, maybe? A hint of apple. I added some Truvia to see if the flavors come out to play a bit more. I get apple now, most definitely, and plum oddly. Fig is a bit of a stretch (even though I’m pretty sure those chunks I saw were figs).

Dammit. I need more than 5g to tell if this is something I want to purchase. Right now? It’s just faintly flavored water. Note for next time: less water, smaller cup, extra long steeping for these mini-samples.

M Mack

This tea is so chunky and heavy 5g is no where near enough for a good taste!

I got this sample with my recent order. I was afraid to try another fig tea after the one that tasted like a stinky shoe, but I did it anyway. Good news is, it doesn’t like a stinky shoe, but I don’t like it. Not because of lack of flavor as some of you note, but because I don’t like the flavor. I guess i just don’t like fig tea. I feel like it could use more spice or more cranberry (for some tartness). It’s a muddy unpleasant flat flavor to me.

I know I oversteeped it, but I didn’t like the flavor. I don’t know if steeping it for less will help, but I don’t think that it will. It just seemed like there was too much going on in the cup.

It tastes like water. I used more of this than I normally would, because it’s so chunky. Really big chunks of fruit. It still tastes like water. I steeped it for almost an hour in an insulated mug and I’m still having trouble finding any flavor. And it’s so disappointing because the dry tea smells just like a spiced holiday cake, really amazing. I realize that you might have to use a lot of this type of tistane to get any real flavour, but I don’t think it’s very economical to use 1/4 cup of the stuff to make a cup of tea. And the directions on the bag are for 2tsp (when most DTs usually take 1.25tsp). But 2 tsp is not nearly enough.

I feel like I’d get more out of this if I just ate it as a snack, rather than trying to brew it.

Maybe I should have doubled the amount of tea to make my travel mug. Maybe the 2tsp is just for an 8oz cup?

Flavors: Cloves, Nuts, Stewed Fruits

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML

If I had wanted hot water, I would have consumed hot water, you guys. I wanted tea! As it was, the best part about this water that should have been tea was eating the (albeit delicious!) little fruity bits out of my infuser.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Spiced fig is like a fruit cake, but in a good way!
I do not like fruitcakes. But they are composed of many delicious thinks, fruit, nuts, chirstmasy spices, and cake! They should be delicious…
Spiced fig tastes like all those things (except the cake), but in a good way. It’s fruity and heavily christmas spiced.
It smells heavily of cloves, like one of those oranges with the cloves pressed into it…

It’s kind of hard to put into words why I love this tea, I really like teas that balance spicy and fruity. Like Mango diablo… I can see this tea falling in to the too heavily spiced realm for many, or too cloying for others, but it really does seem like christmas in a cup.

Boiling 2 tsp

The loose tea actually tastes better than the tea steeped, in my opinion. The taste of the tea isn’t too strong, but makes a nice warm drink on a cold day. It’s not too distinguishable from Forever Nuts, so sometimes I mix them together and then it tastes AWESOME.

Wonderful seasonal sweet tea. Warm and sugary, with just a hint of figs. Use three teaspoons per mug, twice the recommended amount, to get a full body flavor.

Quite intriguing in that it’s reminiscent of a well executed fig dessert. I would disagree with Tealizzy in terms of depth of flavour. This tea has it in spades BUT you have to use at least 2 teaspoons making it very pricey. I bought 10 grams and it was good for one large cup. I am an extremely loyal customer but my pet peeve with David’s Tea is that they won’t let you sample a tea of your choice. So I do recommend it, just be aware of cost.