Genmaicha

Green Tea, Popped Rice
Chicken Soup, Grass, Rice, Salty, Green, Toast, Toasted Rice, Toasty
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Verba Aut Mori

• “This one is really not for me. I appreciate the complexity, but I felt as though the rice made it taste vaguely like soup. I normally love green tea, but I couldn't finish the cup this time. On...” Read full tasting note
    adambackwards 9 tasting notes
  • “Oooh, toasty! This tea is warm and inviting, with subtle green tea notes and a lovely toasted rice/rice cake flavor. Its nice and mellow, the perfect kind of cup for a stormy day (which...” Read full tasting note
    BryJensen 31 tasting notes
  • “GCTTB2 I feel like I am on the wrong page as there are no other reviews for this one... I had this one a few days ago and forgot to review it but kept meaning to. It smells like a genmaicha....” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 814 tasting notes

From David's Tea

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour. (MK Kosher)

About David's Tea View company

This one is really not for me. I appreciate the complexity, but I felt as though the rice made it taste vaguely like soup. I normally love green tea, but I couldn’t finish the cup this time. On the plus side, I’m learning more and more all the time. I guess I’ve finally found a type of tea that really does not appeal to me.

Flavors: Chicken Soup, Grass, Rice, Salty

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
Fjellrev

Welcome to Steepster! Guess genmaicha isn’t for everyone. :)

M

Thanks! I’m still getting the hang of it all. Genmaicha isn’t my favourite, but I’d be open to trying it again (maybe a different brand?) in the future. I’ve changed my mind before.

Fjellrev

You never know, it may grow on you or you may find a brand whose genmaicha you prefer. And if not, there is so much more out there!

M

That is very true. I’m open to any and all teas, so I don’t doubt I’ll try more genmaicha in the future.

Oooh, toasty! This tea is warm and inviting, with subtle green tea notes and a lovely toasted rice/rice cake flavor. Its nice and mellow, the perfect kind of cup for a stormy day (which incidentally, we are having). This is a tea I could drink cup after cup of in one sitting and not be bored or overwhelmed.

Flavors: Green, Rice, Toast, Toasted Rice, Toasty

1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

GCTTB2

I feel like I am on the wrong page as there are no other reviews for this one…

I had this one a few days ago and forgot to review it but kept meaning to. It smells like a genmaicha. Seaweedy green tea with a popcorny scent.

The taste is ok. It is a what I would describe as a basic genmaicha. The green tea is strong, not bitter, but I would like it to be a lot smoother than it is. There is a definite popcorn flavour, and distinct from the popcorn there is a buckwheat type flavour as well. I think this tea is missing just a bit of smoothness and sweetness.