Genmaicha

Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Popcorn, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Nutty, Rice, Wheat, Green, Roasted, Vegetal, Grass, Green Wood, Toasted, Toasty, Grain, Butter, Earth, Smooth, Toast, Chicken Soup, Salty
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Verba Aut Mori

From David's Tea

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour. (MK Kosher)

About David's Tea View company

One of my favourites – just perfect.

In fairness, I’ve never had a genmaicha tea before now, and it may just not be my thing. But I really disliked this! If you remember puffed wheat cereal, it had a very particular scent that I get from this tea. (Oddly, it’s the puffed wheat scent, not the puffed rice scent to me.) And it definitely smells like popcorn. The brew really just tastes like slightly nutty boiled water. I can see how if I were a peasant trying to stretch my tea supply, this could work. But, well, I’m not. So I’ll be getting other stuff from here on out!

Flavors: Nutty, Popcorn, Rice, Wheat

I can’t use the sliders to rate and specify steeping conditions bcos I’m on mobile but I loved this tea! I’m seeing mixed reviews on here, so clearly it is not everyone’s “cup of tea” so to speak, but I’d definitely recommend it to try! It’s a smooth green tea with earthy flavours from the toasted rice. I find it very comforting and easy to enjoy. I re-steeped it and it was just as great the second time! I was having a rough day when I tried this tea, and it was very nice to have such a nice tea to calm me down.

1 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

I got the David’s Tea Advent Calendar and have enjoyed Day 1 , 2 & 4 but Day 3 the Genmaicha smelled like dirty socks and tasted just as bad … This is from a person that knows not to judge taste with smell , ie. Grated Parmesan Cheese smells bad but tastes great . However Genmaicha smells bad & tastes bad … I have other green teas in my pantry that I drink often so it can’t be the category of tea

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 400 ML

David’s Tea Advent Calendar Day 3.

No. Just no. I don’t care for green teas. They taste rather like glass clippings that have sat out in a hot sun after a rain. I would never ordered this, but since it was part of the advent calendar I decided to give it a try. You don’t know if you don’t try, right?

I tried it. That is all.

I am not giving this one a rating because I don’t think it’s fair. I don’t like green teas. But this might be a superb tea for those who do enjoy green tea.

Arby

I’m definitely with you there on green teas. While I love genmaicha and a few strongly flavoured greens, I find most are really stemy/grassy and/or astringent and bitter. I feel like green tea is the outlier in that even yellow and most white teas still have that “tea” flavour, but greens for some reason are a completely different entity.

Third day of the advent calander

I…don’t like Genmaicha as a general rule, so I’m not a good judge of this. That said, I don’t dislike it as much as I’ve disliked some others. I wouldn’t buy a bag of it though.

Flavors: Green, Rice, Roasted, Vegetal

At first I wasn’t sure about this tea. I definitely don’t like the smell of it once it is steeped but the taste is amazing! It’s not my go to green tea but it’s definitely up there. It has more of a smokey taste which I don’t mind every once and a while.

8 min or more

Wow, the colour of the green tea is amazing. It’s like the green you get from Tencha (unfinished Matcha).

I brewed this using a different method from what thet suggest. I cut open two tea bags and used 120 mL to create a shot glass. This is much more enjoyable than drinking a whole 500 mL at once. I actually did 3 individual 1 minute steepings.

My first impression was a slight revulsion to the toasted smell. But drinking it as a shot makes it more enjoyable.

It’s got that sort of warmth that makes it comfort food. Perhaps in winter, for a pick me up :)

6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
AllanK

I was unaware that David’s Tea sold tea bags. I thought they were strictly loose tea.

MrQuackers

Yah, do a search for tea satchets from David’s tea. The satchet is silky, I like the tea bag. They go for $10 each or 3 / $25. There are several different types.

I really like the slight nuttiness of this tea. Combined with hints of grassiness, it makes for a really flavorful experience. Definitely one of my new favorite green teas.

Flavors: Grass, Green, Nutty, Rice

well, as being new to the tea ‘reviewers’ and to loose leaf, I have to say- delicious! i steep twice. not too sure what teas are good to steep over once yet. this tea is nutty, yet subtle. i enjoy it when it has cooled as well. i am looking forward to trying other Genmaicha as well. i do always order when eating sushi as i live on the West Coast of Canada. super tasty

Flavors: Green, Nutty