Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Earth, Rice, Vegetal, Nutty, Smooth, Toast, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Toasty, Popcorn, Chicken Soup, Grass, Salty, Green
Edit tea info Last updated by Verba Aut Mori

From David's Tea

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour. (MK Kosher)

About David's Tea View company

I picked this tea up when I was going to buy some other green teas from Davids Tea. I didn’t know what it would taste like, but the smell reminded me of my trip to South Korea. When I brewed the tea the smell was very rice like and almost reminded me of the traditional Korean corn tea taste. It was a very pleasant taste and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a little something different other than there regular green tea.

Flavors: Earth, Rice, Vegetal

I think i’m just not a fan of David’s Tea green teas, because I didn’t like this one either. I got it in a sample packet, and it really really taste like burnt rice to me, or burnt popcorn… I’m just not a fan.

I am relatively new to green teas. I tend to stick to herbals and black teas.

I got a sample of this from a friend and man, this is a real winner on my part! The tea reminds me of the green tea served at sushi restaurants, so it brings back alot of great memories of eating my favortie food! As soon as i finished the sample i went and bout another 100g!

As much as i love this tea i do find that the smell is a little nauseating, but well worth the taste after brewing!

Flavors: Nutty, Smooth

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

Reminds me of the type of tea they serve at sushi restaurants.Still very good, just a little generic. Very toasty,warm and familiar.

Flavors: Toast, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Toasty

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

May I suggest TenRen’s version of this tea. It is less generic, more toasty without becoming nauseating.

Holy Crud! How did I get up to 320+ teas?!?!?!

So I guess someone on our international flight decided to be super sweet and share their cold/flu because my poor hubby has been sick as a dog for the last two days which could be managed with sleep, recouperation and chicken soup except he’s got this insane work thing going on at the moment and he’s walked back into 12 hour days onto of evening networking events… So I’m making him this tea with honey every chance I get which is really helping his scratchy throat and cough a bunch… I never would of thought to mix this with honey but it actually adds a nice touch of sweetness to the delicious toasty popcorn flavor… A favorite of mine and glad it’s helping the hubby cope with evil illness

Still getting over a horrific cold/flu myself and did some Genmaicha as well. Very soothing for sure. The honey is a brilliant idea – Sounds delicious!

Nutty, light flavour! My favourite tea to drink! Very relaxing, and great aroma! Pairs nicely with Chinese food, especially Dim Sum! Very satisfying.

Flavors: Nutty, Popcorn

This one is really not for me. I appreciate the complexity, but I felt as though the rice made it taste vaguely like soup. I normally love green tea, but I couldn’t finish the cup this time. On the plus side, I’m learning more and more all the time. I guess I’ve finally found a type of tea that really does not appeal to me.

Flavors: Chicken Soup, Grass, Rice, Salty

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Welcome to Steepster! Guess genmaicha isn’t for everyone. :)

Thanks! I’m still getting the hang of it all. Genmaicha isn’t my favourite, but I’d be open to trying it again (maybe a different brand?) in the future. I’ve changed my mind before.

You never know, it may grow on you or you may find a brand whose genmaicha you prefer. And if not, there is so much more out there!

That is very true. I’m open to any and all teas, so I don’t doubt I’ll try more genmaicha in the future.

Oooh, toasty! This tea is warm and inviting, with subtle green tea notes and a lovely toasted rice/rice cake flavor. Its nice and mellow, the perfect kind of cup for a stormy day (which incidentally, we are having). This is a tea I could drink cup after cup of in one sitting and not be bored or overwhelmed.

Flavors: Green, Rice, Toast, Toasted Rice, Toasty

1 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I feel like I am on the wrong page as there are no other reviews for this one…

I had this one a few days ago and forgot to review it but kept meaning to. It smells like a genmaicha. Seaweedy green tea with a popcorny scent.

The taste is ok. It is a what I would describe as a basic genmaicha. The green tea is strong, not bitter, but I would like it to be a lot smoother than it is. There is a definite popcorn flavour, and distinct from the popcorn there is a buckwheat type flavour as well. I think this tea is missing just a bit of smoothness and sweetness.