Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Grass, Green, Nutty, Rice, Green Wood, Sweet, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Toasty, Grain, Popcorn, Butter, Earth, Vegetal, Smooth, Toast, Chicken Soup, Salty
Edit tea info Last updated by Verba Aut Mori
185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 30 sec 6 g 68 oz / 2003 ml

From David's Tea

Some people call Genmaicha popcorn tea because it contains whole roasted grains of brown rice, some of which have popped. Others call it the Rice Krispie of green teas. Either way, genmaicha was originally drunk by poor Japanese who used the rice as a filler because they couldn’t afford enough tea leaves. It soon became all the rage. Today, everyone is addicted to its sweet, toasted rice flavour. (MK Kosher)

About David's Tea View company

Wow, the colour of the green tea is amazing. It’s like the green you get from Tencha (unfinished Matcha).

I brewed this using a different method from what thet suggest. I cut open two tea bags and used 120 mL to create a shot glass. This is much more enjoyable than drinking a whole 500 mL at once. I actually did 3 individual 1 minute steepings.

My first impression was a slight revulsion to the toasted smell. But drinking it as a shot makes it more enjoyable.

It’s got that sort of warmth that makes it comfort food. Perhaps in winter, for a pick me up :)

6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

I was unaware that David’s Tea sold tea bags. I thought they were strictly loose tea.

Yah, do a search for tea satchets from David’s tea. The satchet is silky, I like the tea bag. They go for $10 each or 3 / $25. There are several different types.

I really like the slight nuttiness of this tea. Combined with hints of grassiness, it makes for a really flavorful experience. Definitely one of my new favorite green teas.

Flavors: Grass, Green, Nutty, Rice

well, as being new to the tea ‘reviewers’ and to loose leaf, I have to say- delicious! i steep twice. not too sure what teas are good to steep over once yet. this tea is nutty, yet subtle. i enjoy it when it has cooled as well. i am looking forward to trying other Genmaicha as well. i do always order when eating sushi as i live on the West Coast of Canada. super tasty

Flavors: Green, Nutty

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

It’s my first time drinking genmaicha so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Having my first HUGE tumblr of the tea and the verdict: I love it! It’s unlike any other green teas / teas. Smells and tastes like burnt rice. Although I have to admit the burnt rice taste seems to overpower the green tea. I could even see that there seems to be more rice than green tea in the can.
Nevertheless, this could be my everyday tea as it is light and smooth. Btw, I have the habit of just leaving my tea leaves steep while drinking it. While many may think that it gets too bitter if you oversleep, but not to me. For this tea, it doesn’t get any more bitter. May not be the correct way but who cares! As long as it tastes great!

Flavors: Popcorn, Rice

1 tsp 300 OZ / 8872 ML

I really like this tea! I was not sure what to expect…it sort of reminds me of a rice popcorn cake but it has a lovely green tea flavour to it too. I will be drinking more of this.

Flavors: Popcorn, Toasted Rice

I like eating the rice bits. Tastes like a japanese soup :)

Jennifer (shecoloura)

I tried some and they are yummy, I have always liked popped or toasted rice foods. This tea did sort of have a soup flavour to it, I enjoyed it. It would be good with a meal.

Thats so true, perfect for something non-spicy with japanese rice

I picked this tea up when I was going to buy some other green teas from Davids Tea. I didn’t know what it would taste like, but the smell reminded me of my trip to South Korea. When I brewed the tea the smell was very rice like and almost reminded me of the traditional Korean corn tea taste. It was a very pleasant taste and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a little something different other than there regular green tea.

Flavors: Earth, Rice, Vegetal

I think i’m just not a fan of David’s Tea green teas, because I didn’t like this one either. I got it in a sample packet, and it really really taste like burnt rice to me, or burnt popcorn… I’m just not a fan.

I am relatively new to green teas. I tend to stick to herbals and black teas.

I got a sample of this from a friend and man, this is a real winner on my part! The tea reminds me of the green tea served at sushi restaurants, so it brings back alot of great memories of eating my favortie food! As soon as i finished the sample i went and bout another 100g!

As much as i love this tea i do find that the smell is a little nauseating, but well worth the taste after brewing!

Flavors: Nutty, Smooth

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

Reminds me of the type of tea they serve at sushi restaurants.Still very good, just a little generic. Very toasty,warm and familiar.

Flavors: Toast, Toasted, Toasted Rice, Toasty

175 °F / 79 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
sandy v

May I suggest TenRen’s version of this tea. It is less generic, more toasty without becoming nauseating.

Holy Crud! How did I get up to 320+ teas?!?!?!

So I guess someone on our international flight decided to be super sweet and share their cold/flu because my poor hubby has been sick as a dog for the last two days which could be managed with sleep, recouperation and chicken soup except he’s got this insane work thing going on at the moment and he’s walked back into 12 hour days onto of evening networking events… So I’m making him this tea with honey every chance I get which is really helping his scratchy throat and cough a bunch… I never would of thought to mix this with honey but it actually adds a nice touch of sweetness to the delicious toasty popcorn flavor… A favorite of mine and glad it’s helping the hubby cope with evil illness

Still getting over a horrific cold/flu myself and did some Genmaicha as well. Very soothing for sure. The honey is a brilliant idea – Sounds delicious!