Bear Trap

Berry, Raisins, Raspberry
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

From DAVIDsTEA

It’ll work every time

Seriously, this might be the best way to stop a bear in its tracks. They love berries, and this tea is full of them. The aroma of black currants, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries is totally irresistible. Plus it’s calming, which is important when taming wild animals. Just don’t try to take it away from them.

Ingredients: Elderberries, apples, rosehips, blackcurrant, raisins, strawberry leaves, lemon verbena, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, blueberries, papaya (papaya, sugar), natural and artificial flavouring.*

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So, finally getting a tea from the tea crawl and swap that I got from ShayneBear and I think, Bear Trap had to be the first to try. Also, as I’d had a very good and healthy dinner, I thought that a fruity tea might be a nice compliment, and as I’d had two cups of caffeinated tea today already, this seemed like a clear choice.

It’s very fruity and turns a beautiful shade of reddish pink. On its own, I found it a little too tart, despite not having hibiscus in it. I added a small amount of sugar and that brought the tartness in check. I can see how this will be an amazing tea to ice in the summer time…it’s just so juicy, and there is a bit of a calming feeling with it too.

I’m not generally much of a fruit tea/tisane drinker, usually because of the hibiscus that so many blends have, but I generally tolerate them better iced. There are a few I can handle hot though. I’m not sure where in my repertoire of teas this one fits into…I’d say it is maybe not my favourite as a hot tea…not that it is bad as a hot tea, because it isn’t, but I think I prefer less tart fruit teas/tisanes hot, like Forever Nuts. I could see having a pitcher of this in my fridge in the summer though, with maybe extra fruit in it too…like frozen berries in place of ice. I dunno. I like it, but I think it will fit in my tea life as an iced tea.

Bear With Me

I cold brew Bear Trap with a bit of straight Mate or Guayusa overnight when I’m at work so I have a really refreshing knock-your-pants-off wake up drink to peel myself out of bed for. ;)

Amariel

Oh, nice! Not a huge fan of either, though I do the odd Mate.

This was one of my first DavidsTea teas. I had it in store, iced last summer quite a few times and enjoyed the berry flavours (but mostly the iced part, I have to admit – it was hot last August in Toronto!). Like others, I have found this one can be a bit tart, so I add agave/honey generously to bring out the berry sweetness.

I’ve tried it hot too, but it wasn’t as special hot. If you’re wondering what its like hot and want to try, don’t bother!

I do like this, and will order a bit more later in the year for summer again. Its a good iced tea standard.

SIPDOWN!

Made some iced tea out of this the other day. I must have oversteeped it because it was VERY flavorful, almost too much so. I had ‘sipped down’ the last of my Xanadu the other day as well, also iced, and preferred it. I think Xanadu was discontinued or was only a summer tea or whatever, but it was sweeter and more raspberry/cherry, which I liked.

I know this is supposed to be about Bear Trap though. It was a bit sour. I don’t LOVE blackberries so maybe that was what happened with my taste buds on this one. I dumped it down the drain. I don’t think that has so much to do with the quality of this tea, just my own personal preference. It’s very tasty, just not the taste I was hoping for!!

Mmm… One of my favourite fruit teas from David’s. At one point, we had this one, Berry Up and Xanadu at the same time. Now Xanada is gone and this is almost gone too…A nice treat, very juicy and fragrant. As with most berry teas, I have trouble distinguishing one berry over another, but I get a bit of tartness – Maybe the blackberry? Yum!

Boiling 8 min or more

Very very flavourful!
A perfect iced tea flavour. Berries and berries!

Got it for my $1 tea today. The berry taste is juicy and tart, which I will admit is not my favorite taste, but for people into fruit teas – this one is excellent.

As a personal note, it’s too sour for me, I should have added a bit of sweetener maybe? I’ve had a bad history with herbal fruit teas, though, which have all been sour and bleh since I can remember, so I’m reminded of those unfortunately. Pretty sure that’s just by psychological taste buds though, don’t let that stop you from trying it!

Edit: I don’t know why, but I really want to use this as a base for a bbq sauce for chicken. There. I said it.

Iced
aisling of tea

points to my rant about hibiscus on the comment I just posted on Strawberry White That sourness and tartness you’re tasting is probably the hibiscus. That’s my big complaint with herbals. If they have hibiscus, they get really tart, really fast. My suggestion is to try some of this at home with a shorter steep time…that’s how I fell in love with this tea. It’s also amazing in pancakes!

DaisyChubb

Thank you! I’m still tea-learning so that is very helpful. Bear Trap just got worse and worse as I got to the bottom of the cup D: (I know David’s steeps for a long time though, so I will def give this a try at home another time!) It’s very good to know that I now have something to watch out for in other teas though. Thanks again!

aisling of tea

Any time! It was such a revelation to me when I figured out it was the hibiscus. Blegh hibiscus ;). Yeah, the in-store teas are never steeped the way I like them, but they can’t please everyone XD. I’m just super picky.

I picked up one of those pre-bagged pitcher packs to try this out and brewed it up quite strong so I could put it over ice and drink it right away.
It is a reddish-purple tasty jumble of sweet berries and I quite like it. I did add a spoon of sugar which gives it more of a juice-like taste I think, and I’m going to put the rest in the fridge with more water to brew overnight. I have some dry saskatoon berries so may throw in some of those too.

Fuzzy_Peachkin

This one is so strong as a really strong cold-brew! It’s really good that way!

caile

It is stong! It turned out great steeping again overnight – I could have even added more water probably.

Lee

Saskatoon berry!! I looked these up on the internet,,,they look gorgeous!!!

caile

They are! And so tasty! The bushes grow wild in the countryside where I grew up.

Lee

Cool!! I like the name. Berries rock!!!

This is an interesting blend. It’s very pretty and colourful dry and steeps a dark red/pink colour. The smell is nice, but there is something I’m not fond of in there – not sure what it is. The taste is much less overwhelming than the smell. I was expecting something akin to Mamma Mia (agh) with such a strong smell. But it seems almost watered down. Not offensive, not awesome. Another one to cross off the list.

Overall a nice blend. I’l finish my 10 g sample, but won’t purchase again.

I’ve been on an iced tea kick with this continued heat. Fruity, tart iced teas are so refreshing, and this one is no different. It does take a lot more to make an iced tea, and I’ve already used up the entire 50g bag. I offered some to a friend with dinner last night, explaining it was caffeine free. She was not entirely convinced it would be any good, but after a few sips, she went on to have two more glasses!

To me, this is a perfectly balanced fruity tea. I tried it hot, and didn’t care for it much, because it seemed like drinking hot juice. Iced, and with a touch of sweetener, this is amazing. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for more!

I FINALLY tried this one. I’ve had it in my cupboard for a while now.

It is quite good. I enjoyed it a lot. I didn’t have much, so what I made was a light, fruity tea and it was delicious.

Oh sweet fruity goodness. I like this one because you can taste the fruit in it. And it tastes like real fruit not the artificial flavored fruit.